Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cotton Exchange Building

Cotton Exchange Building
June 22, 2015 01:40PM
What is the history behind the Cotton Exchange Building? Where was the Cotton Exchange company located before, when was it built? I assume it has been demolished for "progress" a good long while ago now, but I recall it as a pretty nice building.

Dave McNeely
Re: Cotton Exchange Building
June 22, 2015 01:49PM
I just "Googled" this building and there is a wonderful explanation given there.
Instead of copying and pasting, and wasting bandwidth here,, just go Google it!.
A wealth of information there.
Re: Cotton Exchange Building (CEcool smiley
June 22, 2015 05:26PM
Thanks Chuck, I did google it, and I found some interesting information, including a fascinating article that appeared in the DMN back in the nineties, as well as some articles about the demolition. The DMN article gave some interesting history of the building. But, it did not answer my specific questions about a predecessor building, though elsewhere I found brief mention of a "Thomas Building" that was a bit older and had some cotton dealer offices in it. That building, located next to the CEB, actually outlasted it, but also was imploded in 2012, soon after an attempt was made to renovate it, just as in the Cotton Exchange Building's case.

There were some interesting articles that surfaced regarding the company that did the implosions. An interesting read about a family that not only made this its business, but whose members seemed to be fascinated with destruction. People who make it a point to witness demolitions were also interviewed for some of the articles. Strange mind set. Some (especially children) likened demolitions to playing with blocks, saying it is fun to erect something, but then fun to watch it crash.

Too bad that we can't have more people taking pleasure in preserving something.

I really liked the Cotton Exchange Building. Though my perceptions would be different today, I viewed the location back in the day as being on the periphery of downtown, given that it was north of the three main E-W artererials, where retail and entertainment were then concentrated. I had a couple of buddies in HS whose mothers worked in that building, and a few times when we happened to be downtown on a weekday, we'd visit and have lunch, usually in a delicatessan whose name I have long lost, but which was excellent. A different HS friend's grandfather owned it, and it was the first place I ever had lox. Was it Phil's? Seems like it was near to the CEB, maybe on Bryan or Pacific near Ervay or St. Paul.

Dave McNeely
July 03, 2015 12:59PM
You know, I really enjoyed my childhood where we could just go downtown and go in and out of buildings on the whim.
Now, today, when I am leaving Baylor Hospital, and have to drive downtown to get out of town to go South on Us 175 highway, I go as quickly as I can since everything has changed and it is so dangerous if you break down, or have an accident.
Dallas Downtown has changed for white people.
But I see many new Condo's and apartments that are mostly rented by Whites.
Just too dangerous for me, an old white guy with lots of experience.
July 03, 2015 01:53PM
mrchuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know, I really enjoyed my childhood where we
> could just go downtown and go in and out of
> buildings on the whim.
> Now, today, when I am leaving Baylor Hospital, and
> have to drive downtown to get out of town to go
> South on Us 175 highway, I go as quickly as I can
> since everything has changed and it is so
> dangerous if you break down, or have an accident.
> Dallas Downtown has changed for white people.
> But I see many new Condo's and apartments that are
> mostly rented by Whites.
> Just too dangerous for me, an old white guy with
> lots of experience.

Hmmm...... . I'm an old white guy with lots of experience, too. I don't think being white is the primary risk factor involved in being in rough neighborhoods. I think being vulnerable is. Dallas, OKC, Spokane where I live now, any city in the country, there are places one would rather not be. Some are populated mostly with Caucasian people, some mostly with African Americans, some few with mostly Native Americans or Asian Americans (try Seattle). The skin color of potential victims is generally irrelevant. What is relevant is vulnerability and perceived profitability of the crime on the part of the criminals.

When my brother had cancer surgery at Baylor Hospital last summer, I stayed at Farmer's Branch with my sister-in-law, and rode DART to Baylor each day that he was in the hospital. I always arrived at Baylor very early in the morning. Some days it was approaching dark when I caught the train back to Farmer's Branch. Though I paid attention to my surroundings, I never really felt vulnerable. Pretty open around the west end of the hospital where the DART station is.

Dave McNeely
July 03, 2015 03:43PM
I ride my bike or trike all over: Downtown, Deep Ellum, East Dallas, Fair Park, Oak Cliff and most anywhere else I choose. I ride around Baylor quite often on one of my usual routes (Stackhouse Burgers are excellent). Have had no problems with anyone, except the occasional fool who screams at me to get off their road, but they are, most often, old white guys. Pretty sure they probably yell at kids to get off their grass too. Generally, every where I go people are friendly. I'm 57, female, Anglo, and do most of my rides solo. There is really no need to fear exploring downtown, Chuck. There are lots of interesting things to see and do. winking smiley
December 23, 2015 05:11PM
Hey Dave ! Was the Cotton Exchange behind the FED. Bldg , between Jackson & Young streets later known as the Garment Center? If yes I have a funny story ? I sent you a note on Lake Cliff Pool .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2015 05:21PM by 1962 Jets center.
December 23, 2015 09:33PM
1962 Jets center Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Dave ! Was the Cotton Exchange behind the
> FED. Bldg , between Jackson & Young streets later
> known as the Garment Center? If yes I have a funny
> story ? I sent you a note on Lake Cliff Pool .

The Cotton Exchange Building was on Bryan or Pacific, at about Ervay, or at least that's where I remember it being.

Dave McNeely
December 26, 2015 10:37AM
Jets Center, I did not get the Lake Cliff pool note. If you want to resend it, you can do so either on the list pm to me, or on my email (mcneely4@cox.net).

Dave McNeely
Re: Cotton Exchange Building
April 17, 2016 11:23PM
It was Federal and St Paul across from First Baptist Dallas. The Horner family Center is there now
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login