Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tom Thumb locations over the years?

Posted by jsnww81 
Tom Thumb locations over the years?
February 19, 2015 11:07AM
Hi all - doing some research on the Tom Thumb grocery chain for a history project, and do the near-impossible task of cataloguing all of the store locations over the last 60-odd years. The company makes this a bit easier by numbering all of its stores, and many old newspaper ads from the 1960s and 1970s listed the store numbers. I've been able to piece together a bit of a list, but was hoping some of you could help fill in the blanks.

For instance, I know there was at least one Tom Thumb store in South Dallas through the 1960s when the neighborhood declined past the point of being profitable. The rest of the list is below, along with the fate of the store. There are obviously many more suburban locations today, but I've been trying to focus on the original batch of stores. Any help/information is most appreciated!

1 4120 Lomo Alto at Lemmon, Dallas - closed late 1990s
2 6800 Snider Plaza, University Park - still open
3 1904 Skillman St at La Vista, Dallas - closed late 1980s
4 6709 Preston Rd at Druid, University Park - closed
5 5515 Denton Dr at Denton Cut-off, Dallas - closed around 1990
6 ????
7 3046 Mockingbird Ln at Airline, Dallas
8 6707 Northwest Hwy at Hillcrest, Dallas
9 216 Josey Square at Fyke, Farmers Branch - closed around 1990
10 4123 Cedar Springs Rd at Douglas, Dallas - closed 2006 and redeveloped into apartments
11 202 Lake Highlands Shopping Ctr (Buckner at Northcliff), Dallas - closed
12 131 Walnut Hill Center (Marsh at Northwest Hwy), Dallas - closed
13 ????
14 Hampton Rd at 12th St, Dallas - relocated across the street, still open
15 114 P&H Center (Piedmont at Hillburn), Dallas - closed around 1975
16 1428 Preston Rd at Forest Ln, Dallas - relocated across the street, still open
17 316 A. Harris Center, Dallas - closed around 1970
18 2536 Gus Thomasson Rd at Ferguson, Dallas - closed around 1990
19 ????
20 615 Lochwood Center , Dallas - closed early 2000s
21 115 Dallas West (Singleton at Hampton), Dallas - closed
22 522 Preston Royal Center, Dallas - still open
23 7932 South Loop 12 at Hwy 67, Dallas - closed around 1990, now Hunt's Food Store
24 160 Grand Central (Main at 19th St), Grand Prairie - closed
25 First St at Kingsley Rd, Garland - relocated in the 1980s and later closed
26 39 Arapaho Center (Arapaho at West Shore), Richardson - still open
27 131 Marsh Lane Plaza (Marsh at Walnut Hill), Dallas - closed around 1990
28 424 Bruton Terrace (Bruton at Prairie Creek), Dallas - closed around 1990
29 Shiloh Rd at Walnut St, Garland - relocated in the mid 1970s and later closed
30 7115 Polk St at Camp Wisdom, Dallas - closed around 1990
31 ????
32 Abrams St at Northwest Hwy (Medallion Ctr), Dallas - relocated to Skillman/Abrams in the 1980s and later closed
33 7117 Inwood Rd at University (Simon David), Dallas - still open but rebuilt into a standard Tom Thumb
34 370 Hillside Village (Mockingbird at Abrams), Dallas - still open
35 4121 Gaston Ave at Haskell, Dallas - closed
36 10137 Shoreview at Ferndale, Dallas - closed around 1990
38 2026 N. Belt Line Rd at Rochelle, Irving - relocated in the 1980s, still open
39 125 Spring Valley Rd at Coit, Dallas - closed around 2005, now a Fiesta
40 400 Park Forest (Forest at Marsh), Dallas - relocated in the late 1970s, still open
41 200 Canyon Creek (Custer at Lookout), Richardson - relocated in the early 2000s, still open
42 5500 Greenville Ave (Old Town Shopping Ctr), Dallas - relocated in the early 1990s, still open
43 14280 Marsh Ln at Spring Valley, Addison - still open, rebuilt late 1990s
44 North Central Expwy at Meadow, Dallas - still open
45 14th St at Jupiter, Plano - relocated across the street in the 1990s, still open
46 9130 Forest Ln at Abrams Rd, Dallas - closed around 2005
47 Highway 183 at Raider Dr, Euless - relocated in the 1980s, still open but being sold to Minyard
48 Buckingham Rd at North Star, Garland - closed around 2005
49 11913 Lake June Rd at Hickory Tree, Balch Springs - closed
50 ????
51 Belt Line Rd at Plano Rd, Richardson - closed mid 1990s
52 1374 W. Main St at Old Orchard, Lewisville - relocated in the 1990s
53 ????
54 ????
55 ????
56 ????
57 206 N. Grand at California, Gainesville

Interesting to note that Tom Thumb - which historically was thought of as a more upscale grocer, although that has changed since the Safeway acquisition - at one point had stores in West Dallas, Pleasant Grove, South Oak Cliff, the Bachman Lake area, etc. It looks like a lot of the stores in areas that had become less affluent were shuttered around 1990.

Comments and information are most welcome!
Re: Tom Thumb locations over the years?
February 19, 2015 03:50PM
There was a Tom Thumb on Westmoreland in West Dallas across from the federal housing project in the 1950s. I delivered produce there with my father, and also delivered sale circulars for that store and a lot of other stores in Oak Cliff and West Dallas.

Dave McNeely
February 19, 2015 05:39PM
Dave, are you thinking of the one at Hampton and Singleton?

I think it's a.) pretty remarkable that Tom Thumb ever had a store in West Dallas and b.) even more remarkable that it stayed open as long as it did after the chain went upscale. The West Dallas store (#21 in the list above) is a Fiesta now.
February 19, 2015 07:21PM
I am not thinking of the store on Singleton. During the 1956-1958 period my father was a dealer in fresh fruit and vegetables in Dallas. He serviced many grocery stores over the city, but mainly in Oak Cliff and West Dallas, including the Tom Thumb store located on Westmoreland. The shopping center on Singleton and Hamilton, near the later location of Pinkston High School, had not yet been developed. That block was simply vacant at the time. I think that the Tom Thumb in that center opened about 1962 or so.

Besides working with my father in the summer, I delivered sales circulars for Oak Cliff and West Dallas grocers after school. A young African American man would pick me up after school, along with a number of other kids. He drove a black 1956 Cadilac, and we would go to some of the stores to pick up the circulars. That Tom Thumb was one of them. The circulars for that store were delived in the housing projects located N of Singleton and between Hampton Road and Westmoreland.

I was 11-12 years old when I was doing this, but there is no doubt about where that particular store was.

Dave McNeely
February 19, 2015 08:00PM
There was a seedy sort of grocery on the SW corner of Hampton and Singleton. It was the Alamo grocery. I think it was a front for nefarious activities in the 40s. If I remember, it was off the ground on cinder blocks or bricks. Jim
February 19, 2015 08:20PM
For what it is worth, I can tell you a little bit about #3 at Skillman and La Vista. Our family lived on Prospect about 2 blocks away in the 40s and the store may actually have been named something else before Tom Thumb although I can't swear to it. At one point c1950 the store manager Charlie (?) Metzger and his wife roomed with my grandmother after my family moved to San Antonio. For a small boy grocery stores were very interesting places and the people who worked there were important folks. It seemed like a big deal to know that a grocer lived in the house where I once lived. Crazy to have all those images flooding back.

Mike Thomasson
Austin
February 19, 2015 09:17PM
jgoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a seedy sort of grocery on the SW corner
> of Hampton and Singleton. It was the Alamo
> grocery. I think it was a front for nefarious
> activities in the 40s. If I remember, it was off
> the ground on cinder blocks or bricks. Jim

My father delivered produce to the Alamo Grocery also. I don't know about nefarious activities, but the place stank. In fact, it reeked.

Dave McNeely
February 19, 2015 10:42PM
#54 was (is?) at Parker and Independence in Plano. #53 I think was somewhere in Mesquite? I worked in the office at #21 in West Dallas in the early '80s where there were projects nearby at the time. It was quite a change from #45 and #54 where I'd worked for years, and quite an education. The only checks we ever cashed were SS and SSI, and we did a brisk business in WIC cards!
February 20, 2015 12:11AM
Dave, thanks for the background. I need to try and get hold of some old Dallas phone directories to see if I can sync up addresses. Do you know if the Westmoreland store remained open after the newer store at Hampton and Singleton was opened, or was one a direct replacement for the other? Outside of some of the original North Dallas and Park Cities locations, the company seems to have been pretty vigilant about replacing under-sized locations every 15-20 years.

I'm a bit younger than many on this board, but I grew up shopping at store #9 in Farmers Branch, located at Josey Lane and Fyke Road across from R.L. Turner High School. It was a rather small store by today's standards. The Safeway at Josey and Belt Line was much newer, and there were newer Kroger, Skaggs and Safeway stores further south in Farmers Branch as well. I wasn't surprised when the Tom Thumb was shuttered.

In that area today, everything except the Kroger at Josey and Valwood has closed. Farmers Branch and southern Carrollton aren't shiny or new anymore, and so most of the national chains seem to have lost interest. That pattern seems to have repeated itself all over any areas of Dallas more than 25-30 years old.
February 20, 2015 04:44AM
As late as the early 90s there was one at Knox and McKinney where the Crate and Barrel is now. The Tom Thumb (with attached Page Drug) was set back from the street where Crate and Barrel's parking lot is now and the Tom Thumb's parking was in front where the C&B building is now.

Also there is a relatively new one one that was built in the early/mid 90s at the SW corner of Preston and Belt Line in Far North Dallas. As far as I know that one is still open but I haven't been up that way in a while.
February 20, 2015 08:15AM
jsnww81 Wrote:
> Do you know if
> the Westmoreland store remained open after the
> newer store at Hampton and Singleton was opened,
> or was one a direct replacement for the other?

The store on Westmoreland, about a mile west and half a mile north of the Hampton - Singleton location, was a much smaller store, more like typical neighborhood "supermarkets" of the 1950s than the giants that emerged in the 1960s. I don't know when it closed.

> I
> grew up shopping at store #9 in Farmers Branch,
> located at Josey Lane and Fyke Road across from
> R.L. Turner High School. It was a rather small
> store by today's standards. The Safeway at Josey
> and Belt Line was much newer, and there were newer
> Kroger, Skaggs and Safeway stores further south in
> Farmers Branch as well. I wasn't surprised when
> the Tom Thumb was shuttered.
>
> In that area today, everything except the Kroger
> at Josey and Valwood has closed. Farmers Branch
> and southern Carrollton aren't shiny or new
> anymore, and so most of the national chains seem
> to have lost interest. That pattern seems to have
> repeated itself all over any areas of Dallas more
> than 25-30 years old.

I scanned your list above and did not see the Tom Thumb on Marsh Lane just a few blocks north of Valley View. That store has been there since the sixties, iirc.

Of course, all Tom Thumbs have been Safeway for twenty years or more, just operating under the old name. I wonder what effect the merger of Albertsons and Safeway will have on the Tom Thumb operation in the Dallas area?

Dave McNeely
February 20, 2015 09:52AM
I see that the store in Snyder Plaza is still open.Shopped there a a young boy.
Next time in Dallas, I'll go back there and walk in,,,,,,,,,
February 20, 2015 10:28AM
old man from dallas Wrote:

> I scanned your list above and did not see the Tom
> Thumb on Marsh Lane just a few blocks north of
> Valley View. That store has been there since the
> sixties, iirc.

That's store #43 on the list above - Marsh and Spring Valley. It was built in the 1969-70 period and was one of the first combination Tom Thumb-Page stores. The store was demolished and replaced around 1998-99 and is still open today.

wmayfield Wrote:

> Also there is a relatively new one one that was
> built in the early/mid 90s at the SW corner of
> Preston and Belt Line in Far North Dallas. As far
> as I know that one is still open but I haven't
> been up that way in a while.

This one opened around 1992 or so. It, along with the replacement Old Town store at Lovers and Greenville, were the first in a series of new-concept stores that were much larger and laid out differently.
February 21, 2015 05:35PM
There was a Tom Thumb on Buckner Blvd. Just North of I-30 and just south of John West. I looked several times at the list and did not see it listed. My apologies if I overlooked it. I worked there in the very late eighties.

Kevin Miller
February 22, 2015 03:08PM
you probably already know that the tom thumb super mkt chain originated from some toro grocers, that owed a. w. cullum a grocer wholesaler a lot of money. the store numbers came from when the brothers purchased the land where the stores were to be built, some were never built, like midway and northwest highway i cannot place #6, #18 is now a minyards and tom thumb built a new store futher east on ferguson closer to lbj it is still open and running.correction #6 was on 2nd ave no longer open
there is a hardback coffee table size book titled the little store that could, memory is slipping but i think that is the name, probably available at the dallas public library that tells the whole story.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 04:28PM by rojinks.
February 22, 2015 03:45PM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> jsnww81 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do you know if
> > the Westmoreland store remained open after the
> > newer store at Hampton and Singleton was
> opened,
> > or was one a direct replacement for the other?
>
> The store on Westmoreland, about a mile west and
> half a mile north of the Hampton - Singleton
> location, was a much smaller store, more like
> typical neighborhood "supermarkets" of the 1950s
> than the giants that emerged in the 1960s. I
> don't know when it closed.
>
> > I
> > grew up shopping at store #9 in Farmers Branch,
> > located at Josey Lane and Fyke Road across from
> > R.L. Turner High School. It was a rather small
> > store by today's standards. The Safeway at
> Josey
> > and Belt Line was much newer, and there were
> newer
> > Kroger, Skaggs and Safeway stores further south
> in
> > Farmers Branch as well. I wasn't surprised
> when
> > the Tom Thumb was shuttered.
> >
> > In that area today, everything except the
> Kroger
> > at Josey and Valwood has closed. Farmers
> Branch
> > and southern Carrollton aren't shiny or new
> > anymore, and so most of the national chains
> seem
> > to have lost interest. That pattern seems to
> have
> > repeated itself all over any areas of Dallas
> more
> > than 25-30 years old.
>
> I scanned your list above and did not see the Tom
> Thumb on Marsh Lane just a few blocks north of
> Valley View. That store has been there since the
> sixties, iirc.
>
> Of course, all Tom Thumbs have been Safeway for
> twenty years or more, just operating under the old
> name. I wonder what effect the merger of
> Albertsons and Safeway will have on the Tom Thumb
> operation in the Dallas area?

Its interesting that Safeway stores were in Dallas area and sometime in the 70's (i guess) they up and left the area.
I remember one in Garland and also one at Gus Thomason / Oates Rd.

So then later they start buying up another chain in the area they left? That was news to me.

Are there any Safeway branded stores in Dallas now?

I remember the old A&P grocery stores too. One of the largest chains once and just about extinct now
there are still some in up in New England. Remember Eight O' Clock coffee? Best selling coffee for many
a year. I liked the A&P and remember shopping there often with my grandma.
February 22, 2015 06:06PM
How many Simon David's were there in that chain? I knew of two, the Inwood @ University and the Skillman @ Abrams location. I was unclear if there was briefly a third at Campbell @ Hillcrest and one at Preston @ Forest.
February 22, 2015 06:10PM
OP, for sure you need to include the Campbell at Hillcrest location, it is not on your list.

There was also a Tom Thumb on Beltline east of Preston. It later relocated to the location west of Preston in the mid 1990s.
February 22, 2015 06:45PM
store #50 was located in a center called pepper square in richardson i believe its opening sealed the fate of #39 at spring valley and coit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 04:30PM by rojinks.
February 22, 2015 08:04PM
> Its interesting that Safeway stores were in Dallas
> area and sometime in the 70's (i guess) they up
> and left the area.
> I remember one in Garland and also one at Gus
> Thomason / Oates Rd.

> So then later they start buying up another chain
> in the area they left? That was news to me.

So far as I know, there are no stores operating under the Safeway name in Dallas, or anywhere else in Texas. In markets where Safeway acquired a thriving local chain they continued to operate the stores under the local name. Like you, many people are completely unaware of the relationship. But look at the house brands in Tom Thumb -- for example, Lucerne dairy products. Those are Safeway marques.

> Are there any Safeway branded stores in Dallas
> now?
>

> I remember the old A&P grocery stores too. One of
> the largest chains once and just about extinct now

A&P has attempted to survive by taking on a niche, sort of boutique role.

> there are still some in up in New England.

> Remember Eight O' Clock coffee? Best selling
> coffee for many a year. I liked the A&P and remember shopping
> there often with my grandma.

Eight O'Clock Coffee is alive and well, and widely available. When I lived in Edmond, OK I bought it from both Sprouts and the Crest Markets. You might check out the Sprouts in Dallas for Eight O'Clock Coffee. However, it is priced double at Sprouts what it is at Crest.

When in high school I worked at the A&P in the Westmoreland Heights Shopping Center (Oak Cliff).

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login