Dallas Mob
September 25, 2014 08:23PM
I found this on wikipedia:

Joseph Campisi

After Civello's death in 1970, the FBI listed the Dallas Family as inactive. It is more likely, however, that longtime Dallas capo Joseph Ianni assumed leadership after Civello's death. After Ianni's death in 1973, Joseph Campisi, another longtime Dallas capo, became boss of the Dallas Family. Campisi and his brother Sam started Dallas' famous Campisi's Egyptian Lounge Restaurant in 1946. He was close friends with Jack Ruby -- Ruby had dinner at Campisi's the night before the Kennedy assassination. Within a week of Ruby’s murder of Oswald, Campisi visited Ruby at the Dallas County Jail. In 1989, Campisi was awarded a certificate from the City of Dallas for outstanding community service. He died in 1990 after having a heart attack when chasing a busboy out of his restaurant for stealing money from him. The current status of the Dallas crime family is not known.

I may be wrong about this but I think there was an Ianni's Restaurant on Greenville at Belmont in the 1970s. I found references to Ianni's Restaurants at 2 other locations.
Re: Dallas Mob
September 26, 2014 03:09PM
I didn't think Joe Campisi was officially associated with the mob. He knew Carlos Marcello and other mob types, but being a member of a family or outfit? Jim
November 17, 2014 01:15AM
He may have laundered money in his place or maybe sponsored a room for gambling and after-hours drinking or ran a messenger service for connected guys but I don't remember my uncle mentioning him. And uncle Joe knew almost everyonein that line of work.
A wonderful lawyer i knew handled all of the Marcellos family's real estate and other ventures in Dallas in the 1980s. I spent a lot of time in New Orleans growing up in the 1950-mid 1960s and got to meet "Uncle Carlos" once. To me it was like meeting The Pope. But I was never a participant in any of that sort of thing nor did i marry into it. Good thing. The women who get involved tend to die prematurely like Jada,Ruby's star stripper who left town n a hurry before the assassination.
November 18, 2014 03:11PM
Was Jada rubbed out? I thought she lived on for a longtime thereafter. Jim
November 24, 2014 08:53PM
She was killed in a "Motorcycle wreck",I was told.

She didn't look like the motorcycle type to me based omn what I read about her and the photos that I saw.
I don't know why" they "kill so many people--nothing is going to be done anyway.
July 06, 2016 03:37AM
When I was 8 in '55 my family lived in a 2-story duplex on Winton directly behind Campisi's; while our house on Royal Lane was being built. My bedroom was on the 2nd floor rear, and the windows were open at night due to no A/C. The black cooks would come out in the alley to smoke cigarettes and sing R&B songs while I was in bed trying to sleep - I can still hear "Well now they often call me Speedo but my real name is Mister Earl....". Used to love to hear them. Occasionally some white guys would come out in alley in the daytime to shoot rats (rodents, not finks); but that was the extent of nefarious activity I witnessed. ~ Mike
July 06, 2016 09:33AM
TheaGoodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He may have laundered money in his place or maybe
> sponsored a room for gambling and after-hours
> drinking or ran a messenger service for connected
> guys but I don't remember my uncle mentioning him.
> And uncle Joe knew almost everyonein that line of
> work.
> A wonderful lawyer i knew handled all of the
> Marcellos family's real estate and other ventures
> in Dallas in the 1980s. I spent a lot of time in
> New Orleans growing up in the 1950-mid 1960s and
> got to meet "Uncle Carlos" once. To me it was like
> meeting The Pope. But I was never a participant in
> any of that sort of thing nor did i marry into it.
> Good thing. The women who get involved tend to die
> prematurely like Jada,Ruby's star stripper who
> left town n a hurry before the assassination.

Jada feuded with Ruby the entire few weeks she worked for him. The "left town in a hurry" bit is simply another of her exasperated responses to Ruby's abuse and her being fed up. She was just another exploited young woman who had stars in her eyes, thought getting involved with mobsters and becoming an exhibitionist was a route to success, and at the same time had a penchant for getting angry. She had quit other jobs in a huff before, and she'd threatened to quit Ruby multiple times. Her behavior was not any different from that of other women in her circumstances.

She did die in a motorcycle accident, some 20 years after the assassination. If someone was trying to keep her quiet, they waited a long time. She almost certainly didn't have any knowledge of Oswald or the assassination. She happened to know people who have been implicated in conspiracy claims, and happened to have worked for the man who shot Oswald.

Dave McNeely
July 17, 2016 01:45PM
Anybody out there know or hear of a dude (gambler, Mafioso) with the name Louis Farentello: aka. 'Chicken Louie'?
Dated my mother back in the day. She knew many of the characters in Dallas when she worked @ the Hotel Adolphus.
She was quite the beauty in the 50's and 60's and was a model for awhile. Did ads for Sangers et al. She was also in an ice show @ the hotel
but don't know much except found an old photo of her skating with a partner in a performance.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 11, 2017 11:51AM
My grandfather was Sam Murray. My grandmother was Sue Murray. He was in the "policy" business. She worked at the Baker Hotel when be was gunned down by Ivy Miller. She also worked as a manicurest at the Adolphus Hotel until she was past retirement age. If those walls could talk.

Does anyone have any additional information about Sam Murray and his life?
IANNI'S RESTAURANT
May 21, 2017 06:58PM
ratfink23T Wrote:

>
> I may be wrong about this but I think there was an
> Ianni's Restaurant on Greenville at Belmont in the
> 1970s. I found references to Ianni's Restaurants
> at 2 other locations.
Definitely at Greenville and Belmont.
It was my oldest son's favorite Italian restaurant in the 70s so that is where we went for his birthdays.
May 21, 2017 08:38PM
mimi2cute Wrote:
> My grandfather was Sam Murray. My grandmother was
> Sue Murray. He was in the "policy" business. She
> worked at the Baker Hotel when be was gunned down
> by Ivy Miller. She also worked as a manicurest at
> the Adolphus Hotel until she was past retirement
> age. If those walls could talk.
>
> Does anyone have any additional information about
> Sam Murray and his life?

Gary Sleeper's, I'll Do My Own Dammed Killin' - Benny Binion, Herbert Noble, and the Texas Gambling War. (Barricade Books, Fort Lee NJ: 2006) devotes the very first chapter to the murder of Sam Murray, A Killing on Commerce Street, June 14, 1940. There are a dozen more references to Sam Murray in the index.

A footnote states that another Dallas hoodlum, Ted Murray (no known relation), had been a bodyguard for Al Capone and the two men may have been confused, but that Sam did nothing to discourage the rumor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login