Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dime a Dance in Dallas?

Posted by Buzz Murdock 
Dime a Dance in Dallas?
July 11, 2014 04:11PM
This may be a dumb or naive question, but were there any dime a dance establishments in Dallas? I have only seen these in old movies. Usually they are in New York City or cities with large military bases.

Did they ever have these in Dallas?

thanks,
Re: Dime a Dance in Dallas?
July 11, 2014 05:32PM
Anything that cost a dime would have been further back than anyone here will remember.
July 12, 2014 02:42PM
Well comic books were still a dime in 1960. But point well taken.

I can go as high as 15 to 20 cents a dance. But I draw the line at 25 cents.
July 14, 2014 12:37PM
What Buzz asked about was called “taxi dancing” and yes, it existed in Dallas in the 1930s. First, you have to understand that dancing was a popular pastime during the 1930s. In August 1935 there were 29 dance halls in Dallas. Eleven new places applied for permits in March 1936, and all but one was approved. Beer and liquor were served at dance halls that had the proper liquor licenses. Music was provided by an orchestra or band. There were city ordinances that regulated the dance halls. Miss Ethel Randall, Director of Public Welfare, was responsible for issuing permits to operate and for enforcing the regulations. She was strongly against all dance halls and wanted them closed, but the city council and police department did not agree with her. They were not opposed to the dance halls as long as the regulations were adhered to. One of the regulations was that a police officer was on duty when a dance hall was open. The salary of the police officer was paid by the city from a $3.00 per-night fee paid by the dance hall operator.

Not all the dance halls were taxi dance halls. In November 1936 only two of the dance halls were taxi dance halls. They were the Triangle Club and the Wonder Bar. The operators were reported to be anxious to enforce the regulations pertaining to employees and customers, because flagrant violation meant the hall would be closed by the police. However, those opposed to the existence of taxi dance halls won. In October 1938 the city council passed an ordinance banning taxi dance halls. (Regular dance halls were allowed to continue to operate.)
July 14, 2014 01:03PM
Why on earth would anyone object to "dance halls?" Of course, undesirable activities could go on there. Sort of like churches in that regard. Or movie theaters, or schools.

Dave McNeely
July 14, 2014 05:22PM
Thank you Marilyn.

I think it is important to distinguish between a "dance hall" where you could take a date and dance to live music, and a "taxi dance hall" where a male bought tickets to dance with a "hostess".

thanks,
July 14, 2014 06:39PM
Liquor was served in the 30's?
October 02, 2020 11:08AM
reviving an old thread. It relates to several matters of interest in the history of Dallas, including entertainment venues (lots of people seem interested in those) and the serving of alcohol (again, lots of interest).

cwuub9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Liquor was served in the 30's?

Repeal of prohibition was in the early 1930s, soon after FDR took office. That was one constitutional amendment that went through lickity split.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Dave McNeely
October 07, 2020 07:23PM
Who would object to dance halls?

That reminds me of the joke...

Why don't don't baptists have sex standing up?

Because they are afraid someone would peek in the window and think they are dancing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login