Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Texan Theater, 214 W. Davis

Posted by Buzz Murdock 
Texan Theater, 214 W. Davis
June 29, 2014 10:17AM
Is there any information on the Texan movie theater located at 214 W. Davis? This is just one block West of Zang. It's listed as being there in 1959.

Actually it's not listed in a 1959 Dallas City Directory. I ran across it in a 1959 Mapsco of Dallas. In the front of the Mapsco are listings of Dallas schools, churches, shopping centers and movie theaters. The Texan shows up on that list.

I know there was a thread here about Oak Cliff theaters and I did a search but nothing on the Texan shows up.

It's not mentioned in D. Troy Sherrod's book Historic Dallas Theatres.

Thanks,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 01:20PM by Buzz Murdock.
Re: Texan Theater, 214 W. Davis
July 07, 2014 08:05PM
Buzz, I lived in Oak Cliff off and on during the 1940's and 50's and never remember a theatre called the Texan on W. Davis, as you probably know the Kessler was/and is a few blocks West of there.......there was a Texas Bowling Lanes on W. 7th St. that was about a block from where you are talking about.........there was also the Beverly Hills Theatre on Davis but it was quite a few blocks West of where you are talking about, it was about a block E. of Westmoreland..........as a kid I went to just about all the Oak Cliff theatres.....the Sunset, Bison, Vogue, Hill, Beverly Hills, Stevens, Rosewin, Kessler and of course the Texas........Bill Strouse
July 08, 2014 03:33PM
Thanks Bill. I believe I now see where I went wrong. This list of theaters in the 1959 Mapsco is for all of Dallas County. It includes the Uptown Theater in Grand Prairie. But it doesn't list the name of the town. Someone who is not familar with the Uptown would just have the Main St. address to go by and could think it was Main st. in Dallas.

So this could be a Texan theater on a Davis st. in a suburb of Dallas.

I know there was a theater that preceded the Uptown in GP and GP does(or did) have a Davis st. so I will start looking there.

And Mesquite has a Davis St. also.

Thanks
July 14, 2014 08:21PM
There was a Texan Theater in Mesquite in 1959. During its many years of operation the theater had many different owners, too many to list here. The property is now the Rodeo City Music Hall.

Many towns in Texas had a movie theater named Texan or Texas. Dallas had a Texas Theater in 1959 at 231 West Jefferson. They were not part of a chain. "Texan Theater" or "Texas Theater" was just a name that owners obviously liked.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 08:53PM by Marilyn Kosanke.
July 15, 2014 03:09AM
Thanks. I bet the one in Mesquite is the Texan Theater listed in the Mapsco.
July 15, 2014 05:01AM
Marilyn Kosanke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a Texan Theater in Mesquite in 1959.
> During its many years of operation the theater had
> many different owners, too many to list here. The
> property is now the Rodeo City Music Hall.
>
> Dallas also had a Texan Theater in 1959. It was at
> 231 West Jefferson. In fact many towns in Texas
> had a movie theater named Texan. They were not
> part of a chain. "Texas Theater" was just a name
> that owners obviously liked.

Of course, the "Texan" Theater at 231 W. Jefferson was the later famous (or infamous) "Texas" not "Texan" Theater.

Dave McNeely
July 22, 2014 03:20PM
Dave, When was the name Texan Theatre changed to the Texas Theatre that was/is on Jefferson (near Zangs)............do not remember it as the Texan........Bill Strouse
July 22, 2014 04:32PM
Bill Strouse Wrote:
> Dave, When was the name Texan Theatre changed to
> the Texas Theatre that was/is on Jefferson (near
> Zangs)............do not remember it as the
> Texan........Bill Strouse

'Twas never the "Texan." I made my comment as a way of saying that the person saying there was a "Texan" theater was wrong, confused.

Dave McNeely
July 22, 2014 04:35PM
Thanks Dave, that is what I thought but was not sure.....went to the old Texas many times back in the 40's and 50's....have not been to it since sometime in the 1960's.........guess it is still going strong.....Bill Strouse
July 22, 2014 06:22PM
It has, indeed, been given new life in the last few years.
October 14, 2020 07:54PM
Marilyn Kosanke Wrote:
> There was a Texan Theater in Mesquite in 1959.
> During its many years of operation the theater had
> many different owners, too many to list here. The
> property is now the Rodeo City Music Hall.
>
> Many towns in Texas had a movie theater named
> Texan or Texas. Dallas had a Texas Theater in 1959
> at 231 West Jefferson. They were not part of a
> chain. "Texan Theater" or "Texas Theater" was just
> a name that owners obviously liked.

Resurrecting an old thread about a theater (the Texas on Jefferson in Oak Cliff, not the Texan in Mesquite) that is rather famous and has longstanding interest.

According to this, the Texas Theater was a part of the RKO chain that was part of the Howard Hughes empire:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Perhaps you meant that the various Texas and Texan theaters in Texas were not linked as a chain. But perhaps they were, given business's propensity to trademark names? Hughes would not have overlooked that point.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login