Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another Tunnel Question

Posted by altozwei 
Another Tunnel Question
March 18, 2014 07:27PM
I realize tunnels were a subject of discussion a while back but my son has gotten interested in the old Santa Fe tunnels. Are there any old aerial photos that show where the tunnels began, after coming off the main line? We were by there today and he asked how far away from the buildings the tunnels ran before they surfaced. I don't know but I figure someone here probably does.
Re: Another Tunnel Question
March 20, 2014 02:46AM
The original Santa Fe Railroad Terminal was on Commerce Street where the Santa Fe Building #1 is today, between the Earle Cabell Federal Building and Field Street, and the original main line ran along the east side. The original terminal was made obsolete by the construction of Union Station and about 1924 the four Santa Fe Buildings were built (three remain) on and extending south from the original terminal site.

The track to the underground docks followed the original main line, basically along the west side of the cemetery and on the east side of what in now the E-Loft Hotel (note the irregular shape of that building - originally Santa Fe #4). The track went below grade about present Jackson Street.

The freight terminal, which included several tracks and long elevated sheds, was west of the original main line and serviced the Rock Island and Cotton Belt in addition to the Santa Fe.

These are the best photos I have, ca 1930 Fairchild aerial views from the south.

March 20, 2014 07:31AM
Thank you, sir! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Sometimes. the best way to get my son to believe me about something is to let someone else explain it.
The apple (or in this case, the nut) doesn't fall far from the tree though. I remember my parents talking about wonderful old buildings or interesting places in Dallas and I'd always want to go see them. They would laugh and tell me they had been torn down, years before. I always wanted to go look anyway. I spent a lot of time exploring vacant lots and parking lots where things used to be. Guess my son got the same genes. winking smiley
Anonymous User
March 23, 2014 10:20PM
Ping G15 Irons That led to headlines over the next two days, and Williams apologized to Woods when he saw him the following week in Australia.

Ping G20 Irons It was so memorable that European Tour caddies jokingly gave Williams the "Celebration of the Year" award during an annual roast for caddies in Shanghai. Upon accepting the award, Williams used a racial slur about Woods in talking about the interview.

Ping I20 Irons Also in the interview, Williams said the "hatchet hasn't been buried" with the world's No. 1 player.

Ping G25 Driver "It's just personal things and a difference of opinions on how things went down ... and I need to sort that out with him," Williams said
December 05, 2019 06:01AM
Dallas Morning News story 12/5/19 on the Santa Fe Tunnel

[www.dallasnews.com]
December 05, 2019 08:45AM
Ben S. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dallas Morning News story 12/5/19 on the Santa Fe
> Tunnel
>
> [www.dallasnews.com]
> 2019/12/05/theres-no-party-like-a-1988-downtown-da
> llas-tunnel-party/

Paywall. Can read the current article, but cannot get to older material. Attempting to search the archives just gets an advertisement for a subscription. As much as I would like to have more DMN coverage, I already pay for several national newspapers plus my local one.

I wonder why the link in the article is not to the earlier article referenced, rather than to an archive search? They still could block non-subscribers like me.

If anyone can provide access to this article, please do.

Thanks

Dave McNeely
December 07, 2019 04:31PM
Dave McNeely

Don't know if this will help, but for me the link in the story leads to what looks to be a searchable full 112 page PDF version of an old blurry microfiche version of the entire edition of the DMN for that date.

I use a Firefox browser extension called 'Unpaywall' that works on most paywalls. IMHO paywalls are BS unless you intend to be a regular reader of a site and this is the perfect example of why.

Frank
December 08, 2019 12:01PM
Thanks Frank. I looked at that on Firefox. It seems a bit risky, given that one has to give permission for the extension to access all data, including usernames and passwords, in order to add the app.

I agree about paywalls. However, most of these sites with paywalls throw up ads, so they are getting revenue when we read their pages, and of course, they are able to tally numbers of readers, so should be able to use that information when selling advertising.

I've tried to get ad blockers, and the same risk as with the app you use shows up.

Dave McNeely
December 09, 2019 05:50PM
Dave -

Sent pdf text version of the 1988 article to your cox.net e-mail but it bounced.

M C
December 09, 2019 09:20PM
Thanks M C, and welcome back to the phorum. I sent you a private message with my current email address.

Dave

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login