Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

La Reunion Colony

We are interested in learning as much as possible about La Reunion Colony. What books or other media are available for purchase? <br><br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>
Re: La Reunion Colony
July 16, 2000 05:06PM
A good place to start is the New Handbook of Texas<br>Online. For the URL, look in the DHS Link List.<p><p> <br> format this article to print<p> LA R
August 08, 2000 08:55AM
Perhaps hard to find today but Barrot Sander's "Dallas, Her Golden Years" has a small chapter on La Reunion. Barrot was the penultimate source on the colony, having made his travels to France and much aquaintance with the subject. As a boy Barrot wandered the grounds of the 'experiment in living', lots more then than now to see. He was working on a massive tome, utterly detailed, on the place and it's people when he died. Where the manuscript is now is one of the greater mysteries of Dallas history.<br>: We are interested in learning as much as possible about La Reunion Colony. What books or other media are available for purchase? <p><br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>
January 24, 2013 09:14AM
I am the nephew of Barrot Sanders and I have the La Reunion manuscript. I would like to see it published but I am not to sure how to, or who to talk to to really move forward with that. Any suggestions on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
January 24, 2013 09:28AM
Are you seeking to make the manuscript available for historical research or to publish and distribute for profit?

Can you give us an overview of its scope and content?
January 24, 2013 09:47AM
D.Sanders Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am the nephew of Barrot Sanders and I have the
> La Reunion manuscript. I would like to see it
> published but I am not to sure how to, or who to
> talk to to really move forward with that. Any
> suggestions on the subject would be greatly
> appreciated.

Do you happen to have a large collection of his things by chance? Your uncle has come up in conversation just very recently regarding his discoveries and research at 911 Pemberton Hill Road in Dallas Texas, regarding the Bryan/Beeman cabins. I along with MC Toyer and a geo-archeologist Tim Dalbey would be very interested in anything you can share to help fill the gaps in some history surrounding this very important part of Dallas. MC Toyer is probably the one to speak with but we would be fascinated to see what you might have.
February 06, 2013 04:04PM
I don't have a lot of his things. I was only 15 or so when he passed and the La Reunion manuscripts only came into my possession a few years ago. I have some of his old newspapers and clippings form the 20's and 30's, quite a few negatives that I though were of the photos used in "Dallas, Her Golden Years" but may very well be for the La Reunion book. I have the three La Reunion manuscripts he had written and was in the process of editing, a hand written letter from Andrew Jackson and Harry Truman's signature. That is the extent of my collection of his things. My father has more of his things but I'm not sure if any of it is what your looking for.
February 22, 2013 10:49AM
D. Sanders, You might want to make contact with someone from Heritage Auction Galleries (Dallas) who could definitely advise you about the artifacts/signatures/photographs. They could also give you information on how to get the manuscript published. Some universities in Texas have their own publishing outfits, too, so you could look into doing it through one of them. I think someone would love to help you with it, especially since you have an edited draft!
That era of Dallas' past has largely been overlooked. I, for one, would really enjoy reading about it!
February 22, 2013 10:49AM
D. Sanders, You might want to make contact with someone from Heritage Auction Galleries (Dallas) who could definitely advise you about the artifacts/signatures/photographs. They could also give you information on how to get the manuscript published. Some universities in Texas have their own publishing outfits, too, so you could look into doing it through one of them. I think someone would love to help you with it, especially since you have an edited draft!
That era of Dallas' past has largely been overlooked. I, for one, would really enjoy reading about it!
February 22, 2013 03:44PM
I'd like to add my encourgement to the suggestion made byjilkat25 above. La Reunion is not something I know much about beyond what I've read on this message board. Another possibility would be to find someone in the History Department at SMU to help with th e project. At the least I hope a digital record can be made of the documents in the hands of your family and that made available on a website so that interested people can access.
November 13, 2020 11:25PM
D.Sanders Wrote:
> I am the nephew of Barrot Sanders and I have the
> La Reunion manuscript. I would like to see it
> published but I am not to sure how to, or who to
> talk to to really move forward with that. Any
> suggestions on the subject would be greatly
> appreciated.

Does anyone know what ever happened with this? Is D. Sanders still a member on this list, or is he still active?

Dave McNeely
November 15, 2020 07:31PM
old man from dallas Wrote:

> Does anyone know what ever happened with this? Is
> D. Sanders still a member on this list, or is he
> still active?

I reached out directly to Mr. D Sanders but never received a response.

He may have drafts of the manuscript which I understand was never completed. I've had several conversations with Eliot Green in years past about Barrot Sanders and the LaReunion manuscript. I also have a large file of Barrot Sanders material, some unpublished, that I've acquired from various sources.

Several years ago a visiting professor at UTA told me he had reviewed a LaReunion manuscript attributed to Barrot Sander and it was among A C Greene Papers in the UTA Special Collections. Mr. Greene and Mr. Sanders collaborated on several article and books beginning about 1980.

M C
November 17, 2020 10:10AM
Thanks M.C., I guess that D. Sanders may have disappeared into the ether. Perhaps if I am able to make it to the DFW area sometime again, I may try to look up some La Reunion materials including this manuscript in the UTA special collections. It would be interesting to see that campus again, also.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login