Re: If You Could Bring One Place Back...
November 10, 2017 08:03AM
Well, though not perfect, crime rates, particularly violent crime, are lower in most cities, at least as of 2015, than at any time since 1992. In a very few of the large cities (Dallas not included iirc) rates have gone up in the past couple of years. However, Dallas has historically had higher crime rates than most of the country. The NYT reports today on one major factor in the reduction in crime rates of the past 25 years:

[www.nytimes.com]

Is Dallas a city where community involvement of this sort is occurring? Or have folks in Dallas continued to flee the city for the suburbs and exurbs as they have done in the past?

Dave McNeely

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2017 11:41AM by old man from dallas.
November 12, 2017 08:06AM
In the southern sector, anyone who can leave Dallas does the moment they have two nickels to rub together.

Some areas are not just dangerous at night but dangerous during the daytime. Pleasant Grove-Urbandale-Pemberton Hill are the most dangerous areas right now. One really needs to bring a bare minimum of a sidearm with them to drive the streets there. The very most dangerous area right now is Rylie. I won't go down there to Rylie without a rifle. The police won't go to Rylie at all and that beat flat out scares the patrol officers assigned there.

I don't see that getting better anytime soon.
November 12, 2017 03:06PM
Ben, do you see this "southern sector" as including Oak Cliff, in part or in whole? I have read that parts of historical Oak Cliff (Bishop area for example, and adjacent Kessler and Stevens Park neighborhoods), are being occupied by middle and upper middle income folks, and that the area is prospering. I know that in SW Oak Cliff there are prosperous middle and upper middle income neighborhoods. That does not preclude there being danger there, but the last time I was in any of these places, they seemed tranquil. I understand, though I have less experience there, that a portion of the historical South Dallas near to downtown is being redeveloped successfully for those who want an urban lifestyle as "The Cedars." Is this neighborhood also unsafe?

National news has been that there is a good relationship between Dallas law enforcement and the citizenry. That was highlighted when the shooter targeted Dallas police officers during a demonstration, and the tragedy was lamented partly because it made no sense in light of the respect that the community had for Dallas police officers. Of course, it was lamentable and made no sense anyway, but the point is that the publicity surrounding the event was how well Dallas law enforcement got on with the community.

Of course, iirc, some of the area you speak of (Rylie) is outside of the city, isn't it? Or do I not remember correctly.

Dave McNeely
November 12, 2017 04:04PM
How about some data?

It looks like I was incorrect when I stated that Dallas had avoided the uptick in violent crime of the past couple of years in a handful of large cities -- it seems to be included in that group. But the most outstanding point is that Dallas is a very high crime city compared to the rest of the nation, and that Dallas has participated in the long term trend of substantial decrease in violent crime that started in the early 1990s. In fact, even with the uptick of recent years, 2016 still finished as having the fourth lowest violent crime rate of any year in Dallas's history since data have been recorded.

[www.cityrating.com]

[www.factcheck.org]

[www.city-data.com]

For the following crime map one has to select filters on the left to show the sort of crimes to be reported, and also to select a time period. Additionally, one can select the date range to be reported. I selected the calendar year 2017 to date. I included violent crimes and excluded all non-violent crimes. With those filters in place, it looked to me (I did not count data points, but “eyeballed” the map) like most of the county was similar in incidence of violent crime. Pleasant Grove, Oak Cliff, South Dallas did not show up as “hot spots.” In fact, if there were “hot spots” including those, then Oak Lawn and the Love Field areas were similar. But generally, only the Park Cities appeared to have lower incidences than other locations, and the areas that Ben cited did not show up with particular high densities of violent crime.

If the data were actually compiled into a table, with neighborhoods identified, things might look different. And of course, one's experience in a locality makes a difference in how one perceives it. For example, in Ben's comments, I would perhaps have included West Dallas (which is not a part of Oak Cliff as a reminder to those who seem to confuse that point) as an area to avoid, or at least to be careful about. And I would personally stay away from the Harry Hines corridor (except to go to a hospital if need be). But on the map, these don't show up as particularly high crime areas.

[communitycrimemap.com]

Dave McNeely
November 14, 2017 10:06AM
If someone else hasn't mentioned it, the Zuider Zee restaurants, and Jay's Marine Grill.
November 14, 2017 10:28AM
sharkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If someone else hasn't mentioned it, the Zuider
> Zee restaurants, and Jay's Marine Grill.

I would take the original Zuider Zee in Fort Worth, or the first Dallas (Mockingbird? Denton Road? Lover's Lane?) restaurant, but not the little storefront places that popped up all over after Bill Martin sold the Fort Worth and original Dallas places. He later opened a place on I35 S of Fort Worth called Bill Martin's Second Edition that was pretty much the same as the original. I guess his sales contract was for the name, but did not preclude him from opening up a competing restaurant, or if it did, it had to be outside of either city but not outside the metro area.

The storefront places were better than fast food restaurants, but were a long way from the originals in food quality and service.

Dave McNeely
November 14, 2017 12:56PM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> sharkins Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If someone else hasn't mentioned it, the Zuider
> > Zee restaurants, and Jay's Marine Grill.
>
> I would take the original Zuider Zee in Fort
> Worth, or the first Dallas (Mockingbird? Denton
> Road? Lover's Lane?) restaurant, but not the
> little storefront places that popped up all over
> after Bill Martin sold the Fort Worth and original
> Dallas places. He later opened a place on I35 S
> of Fort Worth called Bill Martin's Second Edition
> that was pretty much the same as the original. I
> guess his sales contract was for the name, but did
> not preclude him from opening up a competing
> restaurant, or if it did, it had to be outside of
> either city but not outside the metro area.
>
> The storefront places were better than fast food
> restaurants, but were a long way from the
> originals in food quality and service.

Thanks Dave. The one I was thinking of was the one at Abrams and Northwest Highway (at Medallion Center).
November 14, 2017 01:06PM
DallasCop2566 Wrote:
> If I could bring one thing back it would be a city
> where you did not have to fear being robbed, car
> jacked, shot, stabbed or involved in a road rage
> incident.

I can connect posts about Ashburn's *and* robbery. My sister worked at Ashburn's on Skillman while in high school (mid '70s), and they were robbed on two occasions. On one of those occasions, she had a gun pointed at her.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login