If You Could Bring One Place Back...
September 04, 2013 04:40PM
what would it be?
We've discussed diners, drive ins, sit-down restaurants, soda fountains, and even a few dives. If you could reincarnate one today, exactly as it was, which one would you bring back?
Re: If You Could Bring One Place Back...
September 04, 2013 04:56PM
I really can't think of any.
The good days and good times were more centered on the people than the places- at least for me.
I can think of a lot of people I would bring back as they were then.
September 04, 2013 08:39PM
Cant really say any one place in particular but if i could wave a magic wand I'd make all of oak cliff like it was in the 50s, 60's and most of the 70s. I grew up where you didnt even have to lock your doors, you could play outside way past dark, ride your bikes anywhere without fear, you knew most of your neighbors up and down the street and stay out on warm summer nights and felt perfectly safe. Those were some good years and oak cliff was a special place.
September 05, 2013 03:06AM
All of you Cliffies make me envious of your growing up days. (There are at least a dozen of you -actually more- that are members here and at the DHS Forum) From the bitter sweet memories to the fun experiences to the borderline delinquent excursions everyone shares the same love and feeling of security for the place and the people.

If my husband (Dallas native) could resurrect a place it would probably be the original Lovers Lane charcoal grilled Goff (just past the Cotton Belt RR tracks, prior to the N.Dallas tollway) and Mrs. Goff's ice cream shop next door.
I have many places I would like to resurrect if the people could also be there but guess my favorite would be the top half of old Dallas Hall at SMU and all those art classes held there.
September 05, 2013 03:52AM
I would say Lake Cliff Pool and the fun and people there - and of course the Polar Bear across the sidestreet for a treat after.

Wayne
September 05, 2013 05:39AM
I have to agree with kenneth59. Those are the memories I share also. Any place or person brought back into this day and age just wouldn't be the same.
September 05, 2013 07:19AM
the prince of hamburger on lemmon ave
September 05, 2013 07:39AM
One of my very favorite places was Brigham's Old Fashioned Soda Fountain in Wynnewood. Great food, great ice cream ( the Brigham's owned Polar Bear too) and just a fun place to go. The closest thing to it was later, in the 80's, when there were a couple of Swenson's locations in the area.

I agree that Oak Cliff was a terrific place to grow up. It had a truly small town atmosphere, much apart from Dallas.
September 06, 2013 06:44AM
I grew up just like Beaver Cleaver in a very special place, Oak Cliff Texas
September 06, 2013 07:32AM
kenneth59 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I grew up just like Beaver Cleaver in a very
> special place, Oak Cliff Texas

I loved Oak Cliff, and maybe didn't even know that at the time. Bring it back? Well, lots of people live there now, and I'm sure they have lives. Time moves on.

But, Oak Cliff was different from anywhere else in Dallas, and in a good way, back in the day. I'm glad I got to enjoy it.

Dave McNeely
September 06, 2013 07:41AM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> kenneth59 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
>
> But, Oak Cliff was different from anywhere else in
> Dallas, and in a good way, back in the day. I'm
> glad I got to enjoy it.

yes it definately was
September 06, 2013 09:38AM
In reference to this this thread it is a matter of a particular time and set of experiences....the seasons, the childhood friends, the social activities. I remember Lake Cliff. I had my 5th or 6th birthday there and almost drowned. I remember the summers with "lightening bugs" and sleeping under an oscillating Emerson fan that had a loud hum. I, too, remember Polar Bear ice cream, kid's day at the fair, "negro" shooters made from red rubber inner tubes(the best type of rubber), exploring creeks,on and on and on. I would pedal my bike 5-6 miles to the library and read all day in the summertime. At 71years now, it is all bittersweet. I'm thankful for those past days in Oak Cliff....I wonder how it would have been in Highland Park, hmmmmm? It puts me in mind of Thomas Wolfe's book, You Can't Go Home Again" and perhaps it's all for the better. Jim
September 06, 2013 09:38AM
In reference to this this thread it is a matter of a particular time and set of experiences....the seasons, the childhood friends, the social activities. I remember Lake Cliff. I had my 5th or 6th birthday there and almost drowned. I remember the summers with "lightening bugs" and sleeping under an oscillating Emerson fan that had a loud hum. I, too, remember Polar Bear ice cream, kid's day at the fair, "negro" shooters made from red rubber inner tubes(the best type of rubber), exploring creeks,on and on and on. I would pedal my bike 5-6 miles to the library and read all day in the summertime. At 71years now, it is all bittersweet. I'm thankful for those past days in Oak Cliff....I wonder how it would have been in Highland Park, hmmmmm? It puts me in mind of Thomas Wolfe's book, You Can't Go Home Again" and perhaps it's all for the better. Jim Delete this as a double

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 09:39AM by jgoodman.
bug
September 18, 2013 10:46AM
Brinks even as it was in the 1980s would be great.
I don't know, but don't think it changed too much until Brinks went away.
The building is still there, but is now a laundry mat.

Would love to see someone come back in there and take advantage of the groovy googie architecture
and make us another fine eating establishment.
We do run out to the Circle Grill every once in a while. A favorite there is their eggs w/ biscuits and gravy breakfast.
September 19, 2013 04:37PM
The "drive-in" movie on Northwest Hwy, close to the Central Expressway!
A biologic exploration of the "other sex".
What an education. Had to watch the movie twice so one could explainif paents asked what WAS THE "MOVIE" ABOUT.

Today's youth, well no nothing about how that works these days.
September 23, 2013 07:39AM
jgoodman Wrote:
>"negro" shooters made from red
> rubber inner tubes(the best type of rubber),

Jim, this offends me considerably. In my youth we also made homemade slingshots, usually by cutting a Y shape from wood, attaching rubber bands from an inner tube, and so on. We also used an offensive name for them. I grew up rough. The usual projectile was a pebble, but sometimes we had ball bearings or even buck shot. I never actually shot at a person with one, though my older brothers held mock wars with them. I realized later that actual injury was quite possible with the things.

I not only learned not to use the word we applied to the sling shots, but also not to apply a euphimism in its place as you did, particularly in such an offensive context. The device was a slingshot. I remain shamed to this day that we ever used the word we did, horrified by the implication of the name.

Dave McNeely
September 23, 2013 12:28PM
Ahhh Dave, I'm offended that you're offended. It took some time for you to respond....had to ponder it? I heartily suspect as you"grew up rough" you were quite profligate with your use of derogatory terms as a youth. Shades of Paula Deen(Dean?) here it seems. Perhaps now in your twilight days you've had some sort of epiphany and resent what went on back then? It was what it was and nobody will/can change it! Take the medications your doctor prescribed and get over it. Red rubber for for rubber-band guns isn't so offensive now is it? James Goodman
September 23, 2013 02:48PM
jgoodman Wrote:
> Ahhh Dave, I'm offended that you're offended. It
> took some time for you to respond....had to ponder
> it? I heartily suspect as you"grew up rough" you
> were quite profligate with your use of derogatory
> terms as a youth. Shades of Paula Deen(Dean?) here
> it seems. Perhaps now in your twilight days you've
> had some sort of epiphany and resent what went on
> back then? It was what it was and nobody will/can
> change it! Take the medications your doctor
> prescribed and get over it. Red rubber for for
> rubber-band guns isn't so offensive now is it?
> James Goodman

It did take some time for me to respond. Yes, I did ponder it. I do not like to be a part of controversy on a public medium. So I considered whether to say anything. But I felt compelled to do so. I wasn't intending to offend anyone, just to remind folks that words have meaning, and that they hurt. And in this case, the words are a reminder of intentional physical hurt. After all, slingshots did not get the offensive name they carried without reason. Why not simply call them slingshots?

I grew up where and when I grew up, as you did. At that time, as a child, I didn't know what words meant, or how they could hurt. But I quickly learned, and came to better reflect my own and my family's values in speech. A bit of soap in the mouth helped, regarding what we called slingshots around the neighborhood.

I think resentment of the racist milieu that we lived in back in the day is healthy. We do move on, but we don't have to act as if what happened then wasn't wrong.

Red rubber for rubber band guns was cut from inner tubes. I sure felt offended when a strap of it hit my bare arm from a distance of a few feet after being stretched to its utmost. My parents came to enforce a rule of no discharging of the band when the targeted individual was closer than about fifteen feet. At that distance, one could hit the target, but the band had expended most of its energy, so the person was merely "tagged."

Dave McNeely
September 23, 2013 07:37PM
I think for me it would be Ground Zero. Dallas' first nuclear bar.
September 23, 2013 08:15PM
Polar Bear Ice Cream...in the same old building on Zangs off Colorado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login