Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If You Could Bring One Place Back...

Posted by altozwei 
Re: If You Could Bring One Place Back...
November 03, 2013 05:58AM
I spent many Saturdays in the 80's buying African Cichlids from the Tropical Seas store. I remember David owned the store but he had a partner named John Harkins sp? that was a genius about fish. He was very kind and patient with questions. I bought so many fish and equipment from tropical seas. John taught me so much about the hobby. I appreciate John so much. I wish I could find him but time and memory has limited my search.
I spent many Saturdays in the 80's buying African Cichlids from the Tropical Seas store. I remember David owned the store but he had a partner named John Harkins sp? that was a genius about fish. He was very kind and patient with questions. I bought so many fish and equipment from tropical seas. John taught me so much about the hobby. I appreciate John so much. I wish I could find him but time and memory has limited my search.
November 03, 2013 03:46PM
I bought all of my fish there for many years. They always had an amazing assortment to choose from and their fish were always healthy. I never bought any that had problems.
November 06, 2013 01:23PM
Youngbloods Chicken, Lake Cliff Swimming Pool, all the old Theatres (Sunset, Bison, Vogue, etc....) and many, many more....
November 07, 2013 08:22PM
Lightning bugs, front porch swings. horned toads, old wooden folding lawn chairs, but not push-lawnmowers or chiggers. Chiggers are still around in abundance.. Oh, I forgot…baby giants, cherry bombs, and real M-80s that you could pop on the 4th and the police wouldn't lock you up. These aren't "places", but linked to the past. Jim
November 08, 2013 12:04AM
Sounds strange but my mother and I used to go to Tropical Seas when i was a small kid almost weekly, i really liked the smell of all those fish tanks and hearing all the filters going and bubbling.
November 10, 2013 05:24AM
Can someone tell me the relationship, if any, between the Goff's now located across Hillcrest from SMU and the place remembered by Mike Marsalis? I only noticed the place the last couple of times I was in Dallas, so I apologize if this is sort of a stale question.
November 10, 2013 10:46AM
The business on Hillcrest is owned by a group that purchased Goff's from the family. It replaced the location on Lover's Lane. I cannot recall the conflict details but I remember some family squabble regarding the original Goff's and I think it was Harvey Goff's mother that was trying to take the original location away from him.
May 08, 2015 02:56AM
WOW too many to name. i just wish we could turn back time and go back.
January 15, 2016 06:24PM
Everything from South Oak Cliff 1954 (when I was born) to 1970. Square dancing & real carnivals. Riding your bike, walking home from school, walking to a friends house blocks away (& at night) without a care in the world REAL homeroom Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, & Christmas Parties. THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE!
January 16, 2016 10:05AM
I think I'd have to vote for the Highland Park Cafeteria on Knox. We went there with my grandparents at least twice a month for years. The upstairs banquet room with the player piano was our favorite place to eat and I still have fond memories of their chicken and dumplings (and I've been vegetarian for 40 years!). I'd also like to see the Kip's Big Boy at Hillcrest and Northwest Hwy. I've always been amazed that 7-11's current owners couldn't see their way clear to making that the coolest 7-11 in the world and save one of the last pieces of Googie architecture left in the area.
January 17, 2016 01:19PM
Andrew's on McKinney or the original Cremona, probably.
January 18, 2016 09:02AM
Since this thread is active again, I'll add Tolbert's Chili Parlor at Cedar Springs and Oak Lawn. Ah, to have a Bowl of Red again, or the giant Boquillas Burrito, and to wash it down with a Shiner Lager.
January 20, 2016 06:11PM
Oh my gosh, YES!!! I So miss their Chili Pie.
January 20, 2016 06:24PM
I so agree with you on this. I loved the EZ's that was in the old Kip's and was incredibly disappointed with the 7-11 folks for tearing it down. Just another mindless corporate decision. It could have been a truly special location but is, instead, unimaginative and generic. I always make a point of eating at the EZ's in Austin whenever I'm down there. Not exactly the same but close enough.

northdallasgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I'd have to vote for the Highland Park
> Cafeteria on Knox. We went there with my
> grandparents at least twice a month for years.
> The upstairs banquet room with the player piano
> was our favorite place to eat and I still have
> fond memories of their chicken and dumplings (and
> I've been vegetarian for 40 years!). I'd also
> like to see the Kip's Big Boy at Hillcrest and
> Northwest Hwy. I've always been amazed that
> 7-11's current owners couldn't see their way clear
> to making that the coolest 7-11 in the world and
> save one of the last pieces of Googie architecture
> left in the area.
February 06, 2016 12:12PM
Jardee's Italian Restaurant in a house at 2607 N. Haskell Ave. in the 1960's. Wonderful Italian food, plus they served French fries as a side dish. My date bet me that I could not eat all the food on my plate. Not only did I eat every bite, I ordered dessert as well.
November 08, 2017 04:31PM
I married a man from Sherman, Tx, where the Ashburn's Ice Cream factory was. He took me there on an afternoon date and I met Mr. Ashburn. There were two brothers who became estranged and one moved to Dallas and founded Polar Bear while the other stayed at the original site. Mr. Ashburn told me a story about his peach ice cream. He sent trucks to Arkansas to gather peaches that were over ripe, almost bad, because they held the most flavor and were easier to blend into the cream and freeze. He was the most gracious man and took me through the factory and showed me the process of making different ice creams. I'd forgotten that memory until I saw this post. Thank you.
November 08, 2017 09:46PM
The second Ashburn's brother also opened ice cream shops in Dallas, but named Ashburn's. The brothers made an agreement, one got Dallas, the other got Oak Cliff. That was in the 1930s iirc according to the article in the Sherman newspaper that detailed the history of the Ashburn's ice cream business (article appeared in 1981 or 1982, when I lived in Sherman). The story of the peach ice cream and the very ripe peaches used in it was also told in the article. The two different ice cream lines in Dallas (Polar Bear and Ashburn's) were merged in the mid to late 1960s I think, to become Polar Bear-Ashburn's. That's about the time that the little store front shops opened, like the one near the corner of Hampton and Illinois in Oak Cliff.

In the article in the Sherman paper, Ashburn related that women who worked at the factory peeled the peaches for the ice cream by hand, and that they, the work tables, and the floor in the room where they worked all became slick from peach juice. He described the women as having peach juice dripping from their arms as they worked.

Boy, I sure did like that peach ice cream, and would love to have a double dip cone of it right now, even though it is 25 F and there is a five inch snow cover where I am. But Ashburn's didn't have it in winter back then, either.

Dave McNeely
November 10, 2017 01:16AM
If I could bring one thing back it would be a city where you did not have to fear being robbed, car jacked, shot, stabbed or involved in a road rage incident.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login