KZEW radio station
August 07, 2013 09:53PM
anyone remember that Dallas FM station from the 70s? Did it go out of business or bought up or what? Was a hard rock station, we all used to listen to it and i remember lots of kids with decals of it on their cars.
Re: KZEW radio station
August 08, 2013 05:14AM
Ken, I was never a fan of "the Zoo" but do recall all the bumper stickers of the emblem - and though I could not recall their names and had to search - I remembered there was the early morning hit duo of "LaBella and Rody". Both were from Connecticut. John LaBella died in a car accident in 2002 at about age 52 leaving a widow and young daughter.

FYI since you expressed interest in possibly buying in your hometown of O.C.

John Rody (from what I read) has settled in Oak Cliff. He lives in the Stevens Park area with his wife Pamela Steele (radio personality). Rody has a " big media server in his Bishop Arts District studio in Oak Cliff." His biggest clients are churches who want good web sites and for their sermons to be streamed or recorded. He is "not religious" but loves the work.
August 08, 2013 08:18AM
Thanks Sharon, i remember that show and didnt know that one passed away. I wasnt a massive fan of the station either but do seem to remember it was a pretty big station back then, seems like 102 was too.
August 08, 2013 09:29AM
My favorite station in the 60s was KLIF.

I have liked (and still like) about every style and genre around Except hard rock, grunge and Hip Hop. Today I especially love classic Country and Blue Grass but still enjoy the old stuff. In fact one of the coolest members here made me 2 cds of classic 60s and 70s about 7 or 8 years ago and I still play them.

One of my favorite memories is taking my 2 very small children to Dairy Queen at Webbs Chapel and Royal Lane. We lived very near there from 1973 to about 1978. Up pulls a tour bus and in come David Allan Coe and some of his crew to eat. Turns out his house was in a near by area.
Then about 1990 my daughter got his autographed picture when he appeared in Athens, Georgia. She and her now husband were students at UGA and she told him the Dairy Queen story so they had to go see him. She gave us (living in Atlanta at the time) his picture. LOL.
August 08, 2013 10:30AM
Remember KZEW but did not listen to it much....my favorites back in the 50's and 60's were KLIF, KNOK and of course Jim Lowe on WRR....Bill Strouse
bug
August 08, 2013 11:38AM
Listened some, but got bored with it.
Much preferred 95 FM and its eclectic mix.

Some info on Dallas Radio Stations
August 08, 2013 06:05PM
There's a brief article on KZEW on wikipedia.

Dave Lewis
August 09, 2013 07:38PM
Radio 95? Do you mean KAMC, Arlington-Cleburne? An absolutely wonderful station from 1973-1977 or so. They played a lot of progressive country, along with a number of new and upcoming artists: Bonnie Raitt, Maria Muldaur, Jerry Garcia as a solo artist, a lot of obscure album cuts. An absolutely great station.

Regarding KZEW, remember that is where Mike Rhyner (current & longtime radio host of The Ticket 1310 AM) got his radio start. He worked with Lobello & Rody. Jon Dillon was also a KZEW DJ.
bug
August 09, 2013 09:12PM
Yes, that 95.
Somewhere in the attic I got an 8-track tape (LOL) with the last 2 or 3 songs they played as they signed off.
The last song was Honolulu by Michael Murphy.

"I think I’ll buy a new toy drum and drop it
Down into the mouth of some volcano in Honolulu

Aloha ‘oe, aloha, boys,
Aloha ‘oe, aloha toys
Until we meet again."

IIRC, the next morning it was a religious station.
August 12, 2013 08:15PM
I listened to KZEW. I remember calling it The Zoo and listeners were called Zoo Freaks.
August 12, 2013 10:16PM
i had forgot that but now i remember the word zoo freaks too susan.smileys with beer
August 13, 2013 09:21AM
Yes, I remember the Morning Zoo, with LaBella and Rody. I had a Zoo window sticker on my car, in high school.
bug
August 13, 2013 09:50AM
I do still have a Zoo Freak t-shirt, but it don't fit me no more!
August 14, 2013 07:35PM
Labella and Rody had a radio character called Walter from Waco. About the only thing I remember is he old say "What time is it?" real fast, like it was all one word.
August 17, 2013 05:45PM
I remember KZEW, known for it's hard rock. I never got into the format.

I listened to KLIF & KFJZ on AM and KNUS (which later became KLUV) and KVIL on FM. This was back in the 60's and 70's. I can remember countless jingles from that era too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2013 05:46PM by Michael.
bug
August 22, 2013 07:12AM
Decided to see if I could find a Jim Franklin armadillo window sticker for the auto,
had one on the Maverick back in the 70's.

Came across this...
Anonymous User
August 23, 2013 05:43AM
I remember KZEW.

August 28, 2013 03:20PM
I remember the Zoo very well. The old Zoo was the best. Played very deep cuts from albums; did not cater to the sheep, like so many of the other "common denominator" top 40 stations. Sometimes they would play entire albums, or concerts late at night. It was kind of the "Sirius/XM" of it's time.

Later on, it got to be a little too main stream for me, kind of like KEGL or Q102.

And yes, I had a Zoo sticker in the rear window of my first car, a 1973 Z/28 I got for my 16th birthday in 1978...

Every now and then, Zoo stickers will pop up on ebay.
August 29, 2013 05:18AM
Great stuff, here, Zoo Freaks:

[www.98kzew.com]
August 30, 2013 10:32PM
thats a good web site.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login