Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

KZEW radio station

Posted by kenneth59 
Re: KZEW radio station
June 12, 2017 07:41PM
For those that have fond memories of KZEW, you might be interested to learn that it has returned in a way. Some of the DJs and others from the original Dallas station have started streaming an online version. They can't use the KZEW call letters because they are now used by a NY station but do use the old "ZooLoo" logo. Unfortunately the DJs are not live but only sometimes the next music is announced by a pre-recording. Much of the music is from KZEW's playlist plus some newer cuts. Unlike some others here, I never considered KZEW a "Hard Rock" station. But an "Alternative Rock/Album Rock" station and was much like Jon Dillon's 2 hour show on KRLD pre-KZEW. Anyway if you want to spend some time on memory lane do a search for "The Zoo - Dallas" on your favorite music streaming site. I found it on my TuneIn Radio app.

[www.dallasnews.com]

Peace, Love and Rock 'n' Roll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2017 11:07AM by Frank.
June 16, 2017 02:23PM
Listened to the Zoo for a couple of years after it first aired then it became more commercial and started listening Q102 for a while. In the early 80s I was one of two guys that were the Q102 Skydiver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2017 02:35PM by Mr. Freeze.
July 14, 2017 06:18AM
Surprisingly little info out there on KZEW's predecessor KNUS 98.7, Dallas' first progressive FM album rock station. Sister station of KLIF. KNUS paved the way for the likes of The Zoo.
July 14, 2017 08:28AM
KNUS 98.7 preceded The Zoo as Dallas' first FM progressive rock station. Sister station to KLIF. Not much info out there on KNUS, but I think Jim White was one of the DJ's.
July 14, 2017 11:18AM
dhumphus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KNUS 98.7 preceded The Zoo as Dallas' first FM
> progressive rock station. Sister station to KLIF.
> Not much info out there on KNUS, but I think Jim
> White was one of the DJ's.

Sorry, but I believe the underground/progressive rock station KFAD preceded KNUS by about a year or so (1969?). Also with Jon Dillon.
July 14, 2017 12:26PM
Check out Mike Shannon's website: [www.dfwretroplex.com]
KFAD was out of Cleburne.
July 14, 2017 02:56PM
Steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out Mike Shannon's website:
> [www.dfwretroplex.com]
> KFAD was out of Cleburne.

KFAD, Cleburne. Call letters established 1969. Owner: Jim Gordon and wife (when Gordon and George Marti dissolved their partnership, Marti took KCLE-AM, and Gordon took KCLE-FM...changing it to KFAD. Other sources say the dissolution occured in 1/1960.) Format: Black-oriented Jazz, Underground/Progressive Rock (both formats were block programmed together.) Call letters stood for "Fort Worth and Dallas." First progressive station in Texas. Considered an underground station; DJs used a homemade audio board! Notables: Jon Dillon, Dave Thomas (a KCLE holdover; also lived at the Cleburne studios,) Stuart McRae, Gary Gorbett, Don Swancy (7/1969-4/1970,) Tim Spencer, Jack Darden, Ed Padget (12/1970-3/1971; worked at both studios,) Charlie Bassham, Jim Gordon (owner; conducted live remotes from area black churches in the station's earliest days,) Jerry Johnston, Debbie Runnels (traffic manager,) Phil Cook (PD,) Joe Nick Patoski (later senior editor of "Texas Monthly" magazine; was paid $1.60 an hour for his services!), Pat Patterson (late of KCUL-1540AM; played blocks of gospel and jazz on Sundays between church remotes.) Initially broadcasted 6 hours a day, with Jon Dillon covering the entire shift himself. Station initially maintained studios in Cleburne and Arlington (2216 S. Cooper Street,) and shut down the Cleburne studio in January, 1971

I guess that where the studios were located was irrelevant since its main outlet was DFW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 03:02PM by Frank.
July 15, 2017 09:23AM
Frank, thanks for reminding me of KFAD. When I was a RTV major at NT several of my friends worked there and visiting the studio was always a treat. I never really thought of the format being "black oriented jazz", just "jazz" like we heard every day in the music building.

Victoria Snyder Alvey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login