Phone Book Covers of Karl Hoefle and Norman Baxter
March 09, 2013 02:36PM
While cleaning out my parents old house, I found where my mother had saved a couple of these gems. They are the covers from the 1978 and 1979 Southwestern Bell Yellow Pages. I am so thrilled to find them as I had no idea she kept any of them. These two were part of the later series by Norman Baxter. Sadly, she didn't keep any of the wonderfully funny ones by Karl Hoefle that preceded the Baxter series. As I was looking over them yesterday, I realized that I am still finding new things hidden in the art on the cover. Amazing. It is indeed a pity that there are no prints available for purchase. I would happily buy them all.
Re: Phone Book Covers of Karl Hoefle and Norman Baxter
March 10, 2013 12:08AM
Karl Hoefle's parents Karl & Mae Hoefle lived across the street from my family on Revere Place in Dallas. I believe the artist's name was really "Kay" but he used Karl as his professional name.

Karl always drew a Christmas card every year. They were very clever and I always enjoyed looking at them. We may still have some of the Christmas cards in my parent's effects.

Dave Lewis
bug
March 11, 2013 12:22PM
Prints must have been available at some point as I was given one as a gift a number of years ago.
It might possibly have been signed, but is lost at the house among the other treasures.
March 11, 2013 06:23PM
There were definitely some printed but I didn't learn of it until too late. Still, we have been going over the two I found and I'm having a blast showing them to my kids who had never seen them. I understand it took the artists 6 to 9 months to complete them each one. Guess I'll need to get downtown to the library and see if they have any of the old phone books in their reference section.
March 15, 2013 10:19PM
Prints were made of Karl Hoefle's phone book caricatures. From the Dallas Morning News, December 18, 1974:

"...can enjoy these works again since duplicates of the originals have been published and are currently for sale, suitable for framing. There are four 18-by-24-inch scenes to choose from: SMU, the old Dallas skyline, Stemmons Freeway and the State Fair. The fair is probably his most famous and outrageous sketch, which adorned the cover of the 1966 directory. It is hard to forget the depiction of the Cotton Bowl with men and dogs running in all directions and the University of Texas mascot, Bevo, charging into the arena." The prints sold for $4.00 each plus $1.00 for postage and handling.
March 23, 2013 06:21AM
I collect images of the Dallas skyline and have quite a few examples that I have purchased over the years, mainly at estate sales. I have one of the Hoefle framed prints but it's not dated. I would love to see the one mentioned above of Fair Park. Ed Bearden was the artist on most of the ones I have.
March 23, 2013 09:49AM
Which one of the prints do you have?
June 02, 2014 06:22PM
I have a print from Karl Hoefle of the Dallas skyline 1973 - I've been searching online for more information on this print - can you point me in the right direction? and any idea of its value?
June 03, 2014 11:46AM
While cleaning out my mother-in-law's house I found a Houston Yellow Pages from 1971 with a Karl Hoefle cover on it. It is an aerial view of the Houston Ship Channel with the Houston skyline in the background. I guess he must have done these covers for all of the bigger cities within the Southwestern Bell area. Anyone ever seen any from other cities?
June 03, 2014 12:10PM
altozwei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While cleaning out my mother-in-law's house I
> found a Houston Yellow Pages from 1971 with a Karl
> Hoefle cover on it. It is an aerial view of the
> Houston Ship Channel with the Houston skyline in
> the background. I guess he must have done these
> covers for all of the bigger cities within the
> Southwestern Bell area. Anyone ever seen any from
> other cities?

San Antonio, complete with Alamo (and cartoonish tourists), Hemisfair (I think that's what San Antonio called its Worlds Fair), River Walk (a traditional city park back then, before the high dollar development), a brewery (can't remember if Pearl or Lone Star).

Dave McNeely
June 04, 2014 05:07PM
Oh, those must have been really fun. Makes me wonder if there were versions for other cities as well. SWB went all the way to Kansas City, if I recall correctly.

I remember wanting to go to Hemisfair but my parents thought that was crazy to drive all the way to San Antonio for a fair. I had really great parents but they were just NOT into travel.
June 16, 2014 11:31AM
I have 3 out of the 4 prints mentioned above. I came across them on the last day of an estate sale a couple of years ago. The one I don't have is of the Cotton Bowl which I would LOVE to have. I bought all 3 that are each matted and framed in 70s colors- one orange, an avocado green, and a yellow. I paid 60.00 for all three and feel like I hit the jackpot!
Having grown up in Dallas enjoying the yellow pages covers and gone to high school with Mr. Hoefle's son, I recognized them immediately. I couldn't believe no one had bought them already.
I've tried to figure out how much they are worth, but there isn't enough info online. I'd never sell them anyway. I haven't removed them from the mats to see if they are numbered. There's nothing visible the way they are mounted which makes me think they aren't signed.
June 16, 2014 09:25PM
Oh, what an incredibly lucky find! Congratulations!!!
June 25, 2014 04:55PM
I have a limited edition lithograph print depiction of the Dallas Skyline in 1973 by Karl Hoefle I am interested in selling it, can anyone give me some advice on what the best avenue would be in doing this?
August 13, 2014 11:35AM
I have 9 prints that I aquired from Karl's daughter Janet. Not sure what they are worth. But I am willing to sell them at a fair price. Anyone know when I might find out more information?
August 14, 2014 08:09AM
If you have the Cotton Bowl print I would be interested. Don't know what to tell you about how much they are worth. I've searched online and not found anything except on one of those auction sites where you have to join in order to see the price it was sold for, and I didn't want to do that. I have some friends that covet our prints that might be interested in buying some of yours.
September 17, 2014 12:37AM
Sorry, I do not have the Cotton Bowl Print. What I do have is: 1) Old Dallas Skyline 1964, 2) Stemmon's Freeway Dallas 1968, 3) Montage Cover Houston 1960, 4) S.M.U. 1971, 5) Houston Ship Channel 1959, 6) La Porte, Texas 1964, 7)Burkburnett, Texas 1964, 8) Dallas Love Field Airport (Date Unknown ??), 9) Unknown at this time. Appears to be a lot of freeways and a lot of train tracks with a train depot in the downtown area. An airport in the upper right corner. Town is small...may be an industrial area. (Turns out to be a very early aerial view of Dallas and Industrial area, and the airport is Dallas Love Field). Also have sheet with 18 small photos of Karl's work (7 I mentioned above are on the sheet). On back has Janet's address and prices of the prints on half of one side and Karl Hoefle's Texas on the other half.

Regards,
Bill

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 08:47AM by maxweis1.
September 17, 2014 11:28AM
Any idea how much you would take for them?
December 02, 2014 12:19PM
I have tried to find out how much they are worth...seems to range from 60.00 each and up. I have 9 prints; 4-22" x 18", 3-11.5" x 17", 1-15.75" x 14.25", 1-19.25" x 15.5", 1-Price/Menu sheet 18" x 12". Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Bill
September 28, 2017 08:08PM
As of this date I have sold all my prints except the menu.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login