Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duback's Roller Rink on Greenville

Posted by ratfink23T 
Re: Duback's Roller Rink on Greenville
August 04, 2014 03:33PM
I agree. That's why I noticed it because it's the only time I've ever seen or heard of the name Richardson Road.
August 22, 2016 10:40AM
Yes....I was born at Florence Nightengale Hospital (Baylor) and we lived on Ridge Crest in Vickery. My grandmother and aunt/uncle also lived in same neighborhood. Such fond memories of being able to walk the streets at 10pm with no problems. The wonderful.old trees....Loved Vickery as a child. A guy named Pete (European) ran a hamburger place on Greenville Ave. just north of Park Lane. Old round wooden bar stools and pin-up posters. Mr. Gray's grocery with wood floors and sawdust, when the Filling Station restaurant really was a filling station. Great memories! To Deuback's to skate...purchase 5 cent celebrity post cards out of machine. 10 cent cokes...Gee.... thanks for bringing up these memories again.
August 22, 2016 11:02AM
I spent the first 4 years of my life living with my family on Ridgecrest in Vickery. The Filling Station Restaurant really was a filling station then. Pete's Hamburgers (an Eastern European man and so very nice) owned and ran it. Great Burgers, old round wooden stools, pin-up posters, cool Hamm's Beer sign with a water fall on it. Mr. Grays Grocery with wood floors and sawdust. I put a penny in the gumball machine and got an Elvis button. Beauty Salon next to Pete's Burgers. Barber shop where my dad worked. Of course we frequented Deubak's a lot. And of course my dad and many other dads sometimes hung out at The Creek...Loved Vickery growing up...Grandmother, Aunt, Uncle also lived here. Thanks for jolting these great memories.
May 28, 2017 07:30AM
I grew up in Vickery also. We lived on Fair Oaks just past Phoenix Dr from 1958 - 1969. Pete was Greek and he did make the best burgers. Along with Gray's Grocery was Al's Food store where I worked for $1.00/hour when I was 13 or 14. Also there was Jerome's grocery and Palmer's Dry Goods. Dozier's Barber Shop was where I got my haircuts.
Glen Lakes Cafe was a great place for a burger and a malt too. My first "real" job other than mowing lawns was at Vickery Park swimming pool in the men's dressing room taking the baskets that they put their clothes in and giving them a pin with the basket number on it. Later I got "promoted" to working in the snack bar! Vickery was a great place to grow up and I also spent many Friday/Saturday nights at Deubak's skating rink! It's sad what has happened to that area now.
May 28, 2017 04:59PM
RBlake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I grew up in Vickery also.

(stuff cut)

>Vickery was a great
> place to grow up and I also spent many
> Friday/Saturday nights at Deubak's skating rink!
> It's sad what has happened to that area now.

What has happened that is so sad? I can imagine many things, among which are that urban sprawl has engulfed an early day exurban environment that mimicked small towns of the time. Is that what you reference, or something more sinister?

Dave McNeely
June 04, 2017 05:15PM
Just meant that all the houses where my friends and I lived are all gone, replaced mostly by apartments. The area had deteriorated the last time I was there which was about 5 years ago.
June 09, 2017 12:24PM
Back in the early 70's I lived in East Dallas and worked at brand new Valley View Mall. My usual alternate to Central was Greenville and on an almost daily basis I'd see an old gentleman in a beret sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of an old frame building at the northwest corner of Park and Greenville. A photographer friend of ours stopped and asked to take his picture one day and we still have a copy of it somewhere. My husband just reminded me that the story was that he was Basque. Does anyone have an idea who he was and what his story was?

Victoria Snyder Alvey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login