Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duback's Roller Rink on Greenville

Posted by ratfink23T 
Duback's Roller Rink on Greenville
February 22, 2013 07:30PM
I recall going to Duback's scating rink as a child in the 1950s and 1960s. I may have the spelling wrong! I believe it was on Greenville Avenue north of Vickery Park.

Dave Lewis
Re: Duback's Roller Rink on Greenville
February 23, 2013 01:52PM
I remember that rink well, as many from my schools (grade, junior,& high) went there. Loved the machines where you could pick up things in the lobby. I was not a good skater, but liked a girl who scated well.
April 30, 2013 10:33AM
To my memory, it was Dubeck's. The place was pretty run down, but always friendly to newcomers. Still etched into this small boy's memory was that the bathrooms were no more than two outhouses hanging out over White Rock Creek. There was a crude hole in the wood bench (no seat) and about 30 feet down, in broad daylight, two very large piles without so much as a cosmetic covering of lime dust. Even with my relatively undeveloped sensibilities, I was completely grossed out. I thought, "How can they do this to the creek?" "Why has this never gotten some official attention?" "This just isn't right!". And yet, that's the way it remained for quite a few years. The rink was fun and friendly, but their amazingly innapropriate treatment of the environment stuck in this little boy's memory. And it is still there a half-century later. I remember a certain sense of relief when I heard that it had been torn down. I assumed that the mess they had created was cleaned up as part of the demolition, and felt that the earth was better for it.
bug
April 30, 2013 10:38AM
Been to a few skate parties there...
bug
April 30, 2013 10:43AM
found another...
April 30, 2013 12:20PM
Dueback or Deuback it is! I also didn't know that Vickery was ever a town! Ah, the small memories of a small boy. . .

Thanks for the re-connect, bug!
bug
April 30, 2013 02:16PM
No prob, Bob.

I spent many an hour down there in that creek with the mud turtles, cottonmouths, giant catfish and fool's gold.
Those outhouses must have been before my time!

Note: Checked out an old city directory and it is Deuback Skating Rink, 7800 Greenville Ave.

April 30, 2013 04:19PM
bug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No prob, Bob.
>
> I spent many an hour down there in that creek with
> the mud turtles, cottonmouths, giant catfish and
> fool's gold.
> Those outhouses must have been before my time!
>
> Note: Checked out an old city directory and it is
> Deuback Skating Rink, 7800 Greenville Ave.
>
> [www.texascooppower.com]
> 150.jpg

I also spent a lot of time on White Rock Creek in the vicinity of its crossing of Hwy 75. My father, brother, and I fished there quite a bit in the mid-fifties to early sixties. We caught lots of channel catfish, and some spotted and largemouth bass, along with sunfish.

Dave McNeely
April 30, 2013 08:25PM
It seems strange that there were no sanitation codes in force at that time. Maybe I'm just being naive. Jim
May 02, 2013 11:58AM
I'm sure that codes did exist (thus my amazement), but old Deuback musta been under the radar. BTW, was that Mr. Deuback spinning the vinyl in between skating to it himself? I still remember being mesmerized by his graceful and fluid style. Of course, if ya do it for a living. . .
May 07, 2013 07:28AM
I thought commercial establishments had to have indoor plumbing. Again, maybe I'm naive or unfamilier with construction codes. Jim
May 07, 2013 09:17AM
As the expression goes "it's easier to be forgiven that get permission". We've been seeing the truth of that in Oak Cliff for years. It really doesn't matter what the codes are, if they don't get enforced. We had a restaurant that opened near our house several years ago. it became popular enough that they soon opened a couple of other locations. It wasn't until they had been around for a couple of years that someone finally noticed that they had no permits to operate, no health certificates, nothing. Dueback's sounds like a more "gross" example of this.
May 07, 2013 09:33AM
Altozwei: That's one of the damndest things I've ever heard. Maybe it's just regional. Up in Collin Co. back in 94, we couldn't get our present home built without periodic certifications by inspectors....electrical, plumbing, and so-on. Sometimes we would have to wait 2 weeks. I wonder if that restaurant situation you describe had something to do with a bribe or money changing hands covertly? Jim
May 07, 2013 12:07PM
Probably not. Until the so called Bishop Arts District became "trendy", nobody much paid attention to things like that in Oak Cliff. Code Enforcement andBuilding Inspection were two of the very worst about doing nothing here. All that is changing now, only because developers want to make money here so the city suddenly takes an interest in those details. There was a house down the street that was illegally converted into multi-family. Complaints were made at the time construction was begun. No zoning,no permits, no inspections and the city didn't send an investigator until after the project was finished. At a neighborhood meeting we were told that there wasn't anything the city could do because the project was already finished and it was unreasonable of us to think the city should make them tear it all out. Now, it is a half way house. I doubt bribes had anything to do with it. Much more likely just the poor attitude of the city toward an area that they didn't care about.

Apologies for the segue - back to the skating rink :-)
July 26, 2014 07:10PM
Thank you for the walk down memory lane. I loved this place and the Deuback's were a wonderful family. smileys with beer
July 27, 2014 05:48AM
I had never heard of Deuback Skating Rink before now. Concerning the out-houses, the rink may have been in the county and not inside the city limits of Dallas or Vickery. Therefore such a situation could go unnoticed for a while by county inspectors.
July 27, 2014 04:36PM
The 1959 Dallas Directory does not list a Deuback Skating Rink. It goes as far North as the 7600 block. The last cross street listed is Twin Hills.

So either Deuback's was gone by 59 or they were located further North on Greenville.

I'm not familiar with this area so I don't know if White Rock Creek crosses Greenville South or North of the 7600 block.

There are many Vickery businesses listed in the 6900 to 7600 block so I assume Vickery had been taken in by Dallas by 1959.
bug
July 28, 2014 09:23AM
Deuback's was listed at 7800 Greenville according to a 1975 city directory.
By then it was also listed as Dallas Skateland.

South of Deuback’s and White Rock Creek and on the same side of Greenville, Holland's Package Store was at 7700 Greenville.

In a 1970 city directory "The Creek" (the old beer joint between Holland's and White Rock Creek) didn't even have a street address.
The Creek was not listed in 1975.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 09:35AM by bug.
August 03, 2014 01:53PM
While looking at a 1956 Ashburn's Dallas map, it shows that, beginning at Lover's Lane, Greenville Ave. became Richardson Road from that point northward.
August 04, 2014 02:47AM
Buzz Murdock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While looking at a 1956 Ashburn's Dallas map, it
> shows that, beginning at Lover's Lane, Greenville
> Ave. became Richardson Road from that point
> northward.

I don't know what or where the official register of Dallas street names might be, but in 1956 I lived in my parent's home a few blocks from the intersection of Lovers Lane and Greenville as I did for several years more. We had been there since 1942. Maybe "Ashburn's" is official. But the common term of reference was NOT Richardson Road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login