Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bluff View Estates - Maps

Posted by M C Toyer 
Bluff View Estates - Maps
January 05, 2013 08:25PM
I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread with Bluff View in the title for future reference.

Below are some early maps of the area:

The 1924 Post Office Rural Delivery map (courtesy Jim Wheat) shows just a few homes around a central loop that partially became Bluff View Blvd. I suspect the few homes on the road just to the east already existed but the area was encompassed by the addition.

The 1925 maps shows the streets in the original addition. Northwest Highway did not exist then.

The 1930 map shows Northwest Highway but it was then known as Bachman Blvd west of Preston Road. Also note new housing additions nearby.

This 1931 Chamber of Commerce map does not show details of the Bluff View Addition but does show Lookout Point as a prominent feature.

This 1937 map shows the connection to Lemmon Avenue via Capps Drive and Shorecrest Drive.

M C
Re: Bluff View Estates - Maps
January 06, 2013 07:44AM
We lived on Pomona from 1963 to 1965 in probably the first house at that location. So many homes in that area now are new construction after tearing down the originals. It was a great neighborhood to explore!
January 06, 2013 10:51AM
When I worked for Manor Bakery in 1952 my route was bounded by Inwood Rd, Lovers Lane, Lemmon Ave, and Bachman Creek. I served all the homes in this area. There were some big homes and some small homes and great people.
Ralph
January 06, 2013 10:51AM
When I worked for Manor Bakery in 1952 my route was bounded by Inwood Rd, Lovers Lane, Lemmon Ave, and Bachman Creek. I served all the homes in this area. There were some big homes and some small homes and great people.
Ralph
January 16, 2013 06:36PM
Intetesting, I have never seen the 'jump' referred to as scenically as "Lookout Point". I have always thought this was one of the most interesting geological spots in Dallas.
January 16, 2013 07:03PM
If you look at the Chamber of Commerce map of 1931 you will see a Polo Pony in the bottom right hand corner. They use to have a Polo Ground at this location. The ponies were kept in the stables on Lemmon that we called Uncle Billy's Mule barn. You could make good money leading the ponies from the stable to the Polo grounds and back.
tn
June 09, 2013 07:48PM
Aerial Map of Bluff View Estates 1930

SMU creates a great resource by letting anyone see the aerial map of Dallas in 1930. This Map of Bluffview is a great example. Bluffview was platted in 1924 and was the first subdivision North Dallas County - North of Lovers Lane that was not part of University Park. In 1924 University Park was incorporated and had about 300 home sites. Highland Park Village on Mockingbird was not built yet nor was Snider Plaza.

[digitalcollections.smu.edu]

T.N.
resident of Bluffview in Dallas Texas
tn
June 09, 2013 08:53PM

Bluffview Estates Map Platt 1924
When the subdivision was marketed in 1924 all the lots were about one acre. Many lots were sold as investments. During the 1930's and 1940's many land owners then subdivided the lots closer to Lovers Lane to resell. This created a rift between some homeowners. The lots on the south end of this area are often long thin lots due to this splitting. In later years a PD was done to stop this practice.

T.N.
tn
June 09, 2013 09:03PM
M.C.
Thank You for posting these Maps of Bluffview.
Teann

T.N.
tn
June 09, 2013 09:06PM
I think that refers to Exall Stables on Mockingbird.

T.N.
June 11, 2013 09:38AM
Next time I am in Dallas, I'm going to drive to Bluff View and see if anything remains that I remember.
Thanks for posting this!
July 24, 2013 03:26PM
M C, thanks for posting these wonderful, historical maps of the Bluffview area.
We drove there in 2007 to see the neighborhood and the lookout. (Cannot believe kids actually used to scale that).
Mike's parents built a house in 1937 on West Amherst by Elsby. They lived there until his dad died in 1981. Over the years they often laughed about how they had a choice of building there or a couple blocks over on Amherst in University Park. As a kid Mike and his parents would go dove hunting up in what is now the Walnut Hill areas. Sudie Williams was built as the neighborhood school and Mike loved attending there.

Oh and Ralph, Mike's mom was a secretary at Campbell Taggert for years and Mike worked at Manors the summer before his Senior year at college. He stood in front of blazing hot ovens removing 5 loaves pans in a blazing hot Dallas summer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 03:39PM by Sharon Marsalis.
tn
February 18, 2017 11:11AM
Hi M C Toyer,
May I repost your Bluffview estates maps to our private nextdoor website in Bluffview?
teann.nash@gmail.com

T.N.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login