Ianni's. I think it's still there.
B
Re: Noone knows!
November 29, 2004 05:31PM
Or was it Pietro's? Can't remember,
B
November 30, 2004 05:19AM
That's the one! Ate there a few times. Thanks, Bevo.
November 30, 2004 08:19AM
Ianni's has been gone from Greenville and Belmont for years. Location's now a Blockbuster and Whole Foods store. I believe Ianni's is the place that moved out to north Dallas somewhere--LBJ/Forest Lane/Midway area--where there was a well-reported shooting one night with several people killed.
Pietro's is on Richmond right off Greenville and is still there.
November 30, 2004 08:21AM
One Vail portrait hung at Mariano's on Greenville--now gone. It was of the owner Mariano Martinez and perhaps will be hung in their new location near Skillman and Abrams.
November 30, 2004 02:03PM
Hello,I called the Pietros and talked to the owners daughter,she did not see any,but he does not come in until 5:00pm and she is going to ask when he does and I told her I would call back.Thanks for all the responses.Will let you know
Re: Demitri Vail
January 08, 2005 04:58PM
I wonder if anyone can help me in finding a painting of my Grandfather(Troy F. Long)by D Vail. It was taken from my Grandmother's residence after the death of my Grandfather. I knew Mr. Vail as a kid and would like to find this missing piece.
January 10, 2005 06:44PM
OK...my memory fails me on this one...but I recall the old Hyatt at Keist and HW67 in Oak CLiff either had a painting "OF" Mr. Vail or a painting "By" Mr. Vail. I just remember they had many paintings on the first floor and I just slightly recall that name was linked to that or those pictures... DOH! Now the building is Christ For the Nations... A freind of mine had several small odd jobs and one was vacuuming the meeting rooms at the Hyatt...I went with him on several occations, just to keep him company.
Becky
January 10, 2005 07:45PM
Kirby, it was a Sheraton, not Hilton.
Becky
January 10, 2005 07:48PM
Duh; sorry for the blunder. It was neither a Hyatt nor a Hilton, but it WAS a Sheraton.
January 11, 2005 05:48AM
You are SO right Becky...I knew that didn't sound right...thanks.
February 03, 2005 04:32PM
I just now saw this message board. I used to be friends with Demitri Vail personal assistant back in the 80's. I was in high school at the time. His assistant name was Scott Darby, but I think he goes by a different first name now. Demitri Vail used to have a art studio in Richardson where he taught art classes. He always was in need of a model to just sit while his students sketched. Demitri Vail paid the model by personally sketching them and signing it and giving it to them. I was one of those lucky models and I have two sketches of myself that he did. I have them framed. I remember he had many portraits in that studio of famous people. Does anyone think the sketches I have would be worth anything?
May 02, 2005 02:16PM
In the late 80's and early 90's, I worked for a plumbing company that did work on Mr. Vail's house on Armstrong. He had quite a number of paintings there at his house, many of them just leaning up against the walls. I was told by my boss that at one time in Dallas social circles, you weren't considered "somebody" unless you had a Dmitri Vail of yourself . I can still remember a portrait of Dick Van Dyke that looked to me as real as a photograph.I work for Texas A&M-Commerce now, and we have a Dmitri Vail of a past university president hanging in the library that was painted in 1962.
May 10, 2005 01:30PM
I am liquidating an estate this week and was searching for comp values for portraits by Dimitri Vail when I found this site. This portrait is smaller than his other works I have seen, the lady is seated. Including frame it would be approximately 36" sq. It has a very classic look; I would say it is c. 1940. This lady was a friend of Mr. Vail.
Any interest?
Jim
Re: Dimitri Vail
May 21, 2005 11:17AM
My mother was an amateur artist who died in 1995. I remember she thought about taking essions from Dimitri Vail but used someone else instead. However, she did talk to him and I ran across a brochure of many of his paintings in black and white. I think a lot of the stars appearing in the Dallas Summer Musicals posed for him while they were in town.
Carol Burnett is on the cover. Inside are people like Joel Gray, Judge Lew Sterrett, Harry Reasoner, Brock Peters, Curtis Cokes (boxing champ from Ft. Worth), Dr. Edward Teller (atom bomb), Audie Murphy, Tony Bennett, Chill Wills, Maurice Chevaier, etc. There is a photo of him an it staes he has been a resident of Highland Park for 45 years. It is undated but does have a painting of Lyndon B. Johnson as president and Marvin Watson (former postmaster general) dated 1968.
Re: Dimitri Vail
May 23, 2005 08:44AM
Thank you that would be interesting to see.I wish you post it somehow.I have called the places that was listed here as where some of his paintings were.And other than Marianos which was moving,have no idea of them.So I am still back where I was before.What a shame! But I will prevail.Thanks again Carmella
Jim
Re: Dmitri Vail
May 23, 2005 11:49AM
I would have to xerox it. However, I think your problem is that most of the people on this forum are mispelling his first name. It is Dmitri not Dimitri or Demitri. If you use google as a search engine enclosing it within quotation marks you cannot mispell anything. By doing that I saw a sketch of Virgil Grissom, one of the astronauts for sale by Barnes & Noble. Apparently he published a book of sktches of the astronauts and contributed illustrations fr other people's books. There was also a picture of the Green Men up for auction last year. They were a rock group in the North Texas area that dyed their hair bright green as a gimmick.
There was also a resume by a professor of foreign languages at TWU who has written many articles and thesis. In 2002 she had a book in progress called Dmitri Vail: The Artist and the Man. Her name is Maria Eugenia Trillo. The book must be still unpublished.
There was also a picture of Audie Murphy by Vail. It was on the website of Dovies Restaurant on Midway Road. It said this was a former home of Audie Murphy before becoming a restaurant and the picture still hangs there.
Then there was a sad note. In the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in Dallas is a story of a long dragged out story of a person's attempt to get his art collection from his family. It appears to have been going on since the 1990's until last week and will probably continue.
Not there
May 24, 2005 01:45PM
I stopped by Dovie's today at lunch,and spoke to the owner,and the painting of Audie Murphy is no longer there.He said the family comes about 3-4 times a year and would stand in the stair well and just all go into tears.So he turned it over to the family.It is a sweet little house.Nothing you would think of a huge Hollywood star.It is not as big as Graceland and I thought that was a small house.He was a very nice man glad I stopped by.But was disappointed though.
Re: Not there
May 25, 2005 12:14PM
I am related to Dmitri Vail and was wondering if anyone would know of any galleries that are showing his paintings or places where they are available to see. He was my grandmother's brother and I am hoping to find some information for my aunt. Any help would be great. thanks
Jim
Re: Not there
May 29, 2005 01:45PM
I have two newspaper articles dated 1986 where he talked about his family and growing up in Columbus, Ohio. That was a bad year when he had major surgeries including one for a blood clot on the brain. His eyesight was declining and he began teaching art instead of painting much. He said most of his art was in private hands because it was commissioned. He said he would have liked his pictures in museums like the Kimball Museum but that because he disliked modern art he was dismissed by critics. He did some landscapes, mostly of the Turtle Creek area, and florals that were donated for fund raisers. A lot of his celebrity paintings hung in the lobby at Fair Park where the Dallas Summer Musicals were held. However when it when remodeling his paintings were replaced by works on loan from the Dallas Museum of Art. Tom Hughes, the director, said it was a natural tie in between two city entities.
He left a widow and she is the executor of his estate. I have seen a couple of emails by a grandson named Victor Vail and a greatniece named Angie who talked of his life in Columbus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login