Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Quiet Man

Posted by tomthbomb 
The Quiet Man
May 28, 2012 02:13PM
Does anyone remember The Quiet Man Pub on the northwest corner of Knox and McKinney? It was a great place for a quiet conversation with a friend or to have a pint and read a book.
There was a poem framed on the wall. The name was "The Quiet Man" (imagine that). This was back in the late '70's and early '80's.

It was searching for information about TQM that brought me here to this forum. I am glad I found it. I have lived most of my life in East Texas but have lived in Dallas twice and travel there a couple of times a month for business. Glad to make your aqaintence. Tom
Re: The Quiet Man
May 28, 2012 03:16PM
Remember The Quiet Man very fondly. Wonderful place, not like the bars of today where you can't have a conversation due to the loud music. BTW, welcome to the forum.
May 28, 2012 03:26PM
Thanks Matthew.

If anyone can come up with that poem I will be appreciative. The gest of it was that "the Quiet Man" is still a gentleman "even when in his cups".
Thanks, Tom
Re: The poem posted in the Quiet Man pub
June 01, 2012 05:57AM
The poem by Francis Duggan that's at the web site [tinyurl.com] might be the one you remember. Or it might be the next page at the site, which seems to feature poems by Duggan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 06:04AM by Keith Nichols.
Re: The poem posted in the Quiet Man pub
June 01, 2012 08:49AM
Keith Nichols Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The poem by Francis Duggan that's at the web site
> [tinyurl.com] might be the one you
> remember. Or it might be the next page at the
> site, which seems to feature poems by Duggan.

That is not the same one that hung at the pub but it is as good or better with the same theme.
Thank you sir.
January 21, 2013 09:41AM
I was an habitue of the Quiet Man back in the 1960s and 1970s. I have three candid (not posed) group photos from those years. Most of the folks in the photos I can identify, but there are three whom I cannot. I don't believe I can post the photos on this site, but I will be glad to forward them to personal e-mail sites if anyone is interested. I would especially be glad to send them to anyone who can help me identify the three whose names I don't remember..
January 21, 2013 10:37AM
tomthbomb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Matthew.
>
> If anyone can come up with that poem I will be
> appreciative. The gest of it was that "the Quiet
> Man" is still a gentleman "even when in his
> cups".
> Thanks, Tom

Interesting poety by Duggan. Thanks for getting us to look.

A good friend of mine remarked, relative to a mutual acquaintance, "He may be an alcoholic, but he's never been a drunk."

Dave McNeely
February 09, 2013 08:53AM
My favorite bar--other than the one where I met my wife 1.5 years ago. At QM I met an old German guy who was a reporter for the San Fran newspaper in the 1960's. He was assigned to infiltrate the Hippie scene and report on it. He said he decided to drop out... When the Hippie movement was still pure--before the obsession with the drugs began. I told him i had read all of Herman Hesse's novels except one. Since he was German i thought he would be impressed. He replied that he went to school with HH and knew him well. At the QM you could not embellish on a story... smiling smiley
March 01, 2013 08:26PM
As a young boy, about 11 or 12, I remember my mom and sister (and her friends) going to the QM. But what I remember most was a coffee house/bookstore named The Attic Window, on either Oak Lawn near Cedar Springs. My mom would take me there to listen to live acoustic music and drink fruit smoothies. Being a bookstore, it's where I learned to love books, and a man who ran the place (Burns) taught me how to play chess. I became skilled enough to beat him a few times.
Anyway, off topic, but thanks for letting an old man ramble a bit about a wonderful childhood memory.
April 30, 2013 10:13AM
The Quiet Man Bar was the only bar I ever inhabited. The owner,Mike, was very friendly, affable, and always there. It was rather small, sitting in a corner of the Safeway parking lot, and had very few "angry drunks". The regulars were on the young side (as was I), and a remarkably friendly bunch.

Frequently, at closing time, an announcement would be made that there would be a party at Such-and-Such's house and most of the patrons would go there for a few hours. Once, the hosts were young two girls who had just rented a house very near Love Field. I arrived to find the place absolutely PACKED with people. It was physically impossible for me to enter beyond the front door, as every square foot of flooring had someone sitting on it, as far as the eye could see. I could only sit with my back resting against that front door as there was nowhere else to go. Incredibly, everyone there was sharing generously of The Herb. Cigars three papers long and two papers around were rolled, would be passed all around the living room, down the hall, into the first bedroom, eventually, back out to the hall, and into the next bedroom. Absolutely amazing freedom for a time when the activist publisher Stony Burns was sentenced to 30 years (later reversed) for having two seeds found in his jeans pocket . The scene was amazingly quiet and reserved, very mellow. After an hour or so, there was a knock at the door, I got to my feet, and there were two of Dallas' Finest in full official garb, silver badges and all, right up to navy blue hats with shiny black brims. I was my usual very polite self, and asked if I could help them. The porch light was on illuminating a one foot thick slab of smoke which was pouring out the door, barely missing the tops of those caps. The officers said that there had been a noise complaint, but that they had found nothing worthy of that complaint and just wanted to tell us that there had been one. I replied that I would pass word back to the back of the house where there was some music playing, thanked them for their thoughtful notification, closed the door, and returned to the floor with my back against the door. I thought that if they wanted to bust me, or anyone, there would be no point in fleeing. Maybe they were being polite, or maybe the two of them did not want to try arresting 100 or so people. Of course, several people had seen past me, the word spread, and about 60% fled out the back. I stayed for about another hour, and no more official contact appeared. I have never since experienced such a large and mellow party, nor such a friendly and appropriate official response.

Indeed, The Quiet Man drew an especially quiet and respectful clientele. It was truly a special place.
May 06, 2013 09:04AM
Great story Bob! Thanks for sharing...
June 18, 2013 07:00PM
I was there from the early '70s until the night it closed. Still have a brick from the place. I was one of the BMW motorcycle group. We'd all sit on the patio (unless it was freezing) so we could see our bikes.

Hey Spafford, next time you see Bill Jenkins tell him fellow BMW rider and fellow pilot Susie (now retired in the Seattle area) says hi.
June 20, 2013 08:02PM
there was also a Yale St Quiet Man that Mike owned. great little place would be packed with folks when the movie the Quiet Man was on TV
May 19, 2014 03:50PM
Thought Q M was on Oak Lawn just North of Wycliff..Wht am I thinkin of?
August 26, 2014 12:46PM
In the early days Mike & his dad had three locations. On Lemmon @ Cedar Springs, one on Knox and the third on Lovers across from the Inwood. His dad ran Lovers until he passed away! Yale was later on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 12:52PM by sacmankc135.
August 26, 2014 01:06PM
Hung out at all three locations when Dart's were the thing. In the late 60s & early 70's. In the early70s on Knox friendly with the female bartender who's name now escapes me. Hung out with Jerry Chapel, another fellow named John (german auto mechanic) & Jerry Saffell (Saffells Plumbing). Strangest thing happened one Sunday Morning at Safeway on Knox, ran into Jerry Saffell buying clothsline. Asked him if he was going too string new clothsline, he said "naw gonna hang myself" laughing. Next night got to the pub and was told he hung himself at family business. Can't forget that.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 01:14PM by sacmankc135.
August 27, 2014 01:34PM
Maybe his business tanked. Jim
September 01, 2014 05:44PM
You may be thinking of J. alfred's (or, Prufrock's). Inebriated out front, you fell into HP. Out back, over the fence, Dallas, lol.
October 15, 2014 11:31AM
Hey folks - I loved all the QM Bars, too - I grew up there - this is Tim, Mike's son. I love that folks are still thinking about/talking about those bars...some of my best first memories are there, with the people there, and the sense of family/friends.

To TomTHBomb at the top of this thread - I actually have that poster (and a few other signs) proudly hanging on my wall at home. You can check out the link here (QM Pictures), but the text of the poem is:

The Quiet Man
Dedicated to those men
who make drinking
One of lifes pleasures
Not its vice
Who achieve content
ere capacity is
Reached or Overtaxed
And who
Whatever they drink
Remain Gentlemen
(even in their cups)
October 15, 2014 01:30PM
I think the female bartender you might be thinking about was Ramona?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login