Diners and Coffee Shops
May 04, 2012 08:03AM
I'm curious as to what places have survived over the years and which ones have passed into history. In Oak Cliff, we have currently have Norma's, Tops, the Metro Diner and Mama Connie's in the traditional diner format. Some of the ones that have gone away are the Pitt Grill, the Steak & Egg Kitchen, the Chimes Cafe, and the Jimtown Cafe. I also recall that Kresge's, in Wynnewood, Walgreen's, in the A. Harris Shopping Center, and Woolworth, Preston Center, had lunch counters. Anyone have any current personal favorites or places that you fondly remember?
bug
Re: Diners and Coffee Shops
May 04, 2012 11:18AM
Dearly miss Brink's at Gaston and Carroll, Dan's in Lakewood and most recently, The Metro over near Baylor.

About the only ones left now are John's Cafe and Melio's Bros.

I do love Norma's!
JNB
May 04, 2012 12:07PM
Not exactly in Dallas, but if you went on a trip, especially going east on old Highway 80 or I-20, there were lots of Terry's Restaurants.
They were nice places at the time - especially for breakfast - but sadly they went down hill over the years
Now they have all expired long ago.
You still see some of those old signature "T" signs along the road . They have been painted over where somebody has taken over the old location for a different use.
May 04, 2012 12:53PM
I remember the Terry's Restaurants quite well. They sprouted up east of Dallas about the same time Nickerson Farms locations popped up along I45, on the way to Houston. Every little town east of Dallas used to have a Pitt Grill too. Now, I think you are more likely to see Waffle House.
May 04, 2012 11:43PM
There's the Beef House in Garland and Willie's Westaurant in Quinlan, tho it started out life in Garland many years ago. There is also a Kel's Kitchen open somewhere in Dallas I have been told.

Hope
May 05, 2012 07:02AM
kel's kitchen is on forest lane just west of the tollroad still great
May 05, 2012 07:41PM
Would the Mecca on Harry Hines fall into this category?
Meanwhile, I was surprised to see a Norma's a few years ago north of 635 maybe on Beltline.
Leslie
May 05, 2012 11:47PM
Anderson's was my favourite. As a little girl, I thought it was so cool coming in that back door, down that long walkway. And it wa so bright and shiny inside!

There was another coffee shop that ws my favourite. It was on Columbia, across from the Safeway and close to Hall's variety store. Mr George Kinzer owned it and it was a regular stop for us for years. It was also the first place I ever played a video game (Pong).

And then there was the coffee shop at Hart Bowl (does that count?). Also tun by George Kinzer and very close to where my dad and sister lived.

Hope
May 06, 2012 03:22AM
Dobb's Houses were always good. I remember the one near Garland and Jupiter (that became a Steak and Egg Kitchen) and the one in the Lakewood area - can't recall it's precise location, though.
May 06, 2012 09:26AM
Hope - where was Anderson's located? I recall going there a few times circa 1964-65 and have wondered where it was.

Brownies on East Grand was a favorite. My mom and I were last there around 1986 on a trip back to Dallas and it hadn't changed. When did it close?

Brinks on Gaston (already mentioned here) was another favorite. We usually ordered fried chicken with a baked potato .The waitress (never recall ever having a waiter) would bring metal dishes of sour cream, butter, cheese, chives and bacon bits to the table and spoon out which ever you wanted as a topping.

There was another - I think it was Lynn's - across the street from Baylor Hospital and the dental college. A friend who worked at the college raved about the biscuits and gravy. She ate breakfast there almost every work day.

What was the name of the chain of diners that had the windmill on top of the roof? There was one near Hall's and the theater on Columbia. My dad and I would go to that one because he loved the Dutch apple pie with the lattice crust on top.

There was another in this area but I don't recall its name or exact location. It was in a strip center just south of Coumbia, perhaps on Fitzhugh.

When we lived in Lakewood we frequently went to one with waffle in its name, either Gaston or Abrams near their intersection. Usually went just for dessert because my mom particuarly liked the chocolate cake. They served single-layer pieces that were like brownies and completely covered with a thick frosting so hard it was almost the consistency of candy.

Around 1950 my mom and her mom lived in an apartment complex on Peak Street and she told me they often went to the Jumbo. She took me there once around 1964-65. Don't recall much about it but it looked like the typical diner. Mostly I was glad to be able to see a place she and my grandmother had remembered so fondly.
May 06, 2012 09:40AM
The Waffle House was in Lakewwod at the corner of Kidwell and Gaston (Kidwell ran through to Gasten at that time). The Wells Fargo Bank covers that ground now

Ralph
May 06, 2012 10:45AM
wren Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hope - where was Anderson's located?

Wren, it was on Ross, close to Fitzhugh. I have looked on VPike and cannot suss where it was though. I need to just have a tour when I do get home and see if being there makes it any clearer.

Hope
May 06, 2012 10:59AM
There was a diner on Peak St., between Elm and Main where I used to eat breakfast every morning.

I don't remember the name of it. It was right in front of the car barns- where the city buses were parked every night.

I also posted once about the old hole-in-the-wall Rockefeller's Diners that used to be all over Dallas.
May 06, 2012 11:04AM
What about the Teak diner? No one ever talks about it, yet I remember it well. We used to go there even into the early 1990's. I

Hope
May 06, 2012 11:11AM
Bill could that be the Car Barns Cafe you are thinking about

Ralph
May 06, 2012 11:16AM
Ralph,
It sure could have been the Car Barns Cafe. I just plain don't remember the name of it, but I'm sure you're right.
May 06, 2012 08:14PM
scwk0511 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about the Teak diner? No one ever talks about
> it, yet I remember it well. We used to go there
> even into the early 1990's. I
>
> Hope

Was the Teak located on Fort Worth Avenue at Westmoreland?
May 06, 2012 11:30PM
Yes, i believe it was. I loved all the vintage/retro stuff they had in there!

Hope
May 07, 2012 07:57AM
Yep. I remember the Teak. When my eldest was a little girl, she once asked why the "Steak" restaurant was missing a letter. I finally realized she meant the Teak.

I had forgotten the Dobbs House restaurants. My grandad used to take my sister and I to a Dobbs House that was near Methodist Hospital during a period when my mama's only sister was in the hospital for several months. Those were the days when kids weren't allowed to visit in hospital rooms.

Kel's is still one of my favorite places to eat, as is Norma's. Hubbard's, in Garland, is another although they have almost outgrown their "diner" status. :-)
May 07, 2012 09:22AM
Bob Whites Bar B Q there on Gaston near Garland road was a great place, I would drive across town just to eat there. With their lunch they would serve several Vegetables fresh baked rolls and a desert.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login