Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diners and Coffee Shops

Posted by altozwei 
Re: Diners and Coffee Shops
June 25, 2012 03:44PM
Phil's Delicatessen did originate at Preston and NW Highway, according to this piece from the Internet: [www.philsdeli.com].
June 25, 2012 07:22PM
altozwei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh yes. Austin's was terrific. We used to eat
> there after rehearsals when we were in a community
> chorus out at Mountain View College. I still miss
> it every time I drive through that intersection.
> My husband loved the mini juke boxes on the
> tables.
>
> Barbec's probably deserves a mention here, too.
> Great breakfast and a perfect location if you are
> riding/skating/running/walking around White Rock
> Lake. If Barbec's ever closes, I think the city
> might have to provide trauma counseling.

I have to agree with you on Barbec's. I love their beer biscuits. I think the Lochwood Pharmacy could fit in here. It had a soda fountain and a grill for hamburgers and such. I remember the magazine rack was right behind the barstools and you could read through them while you were eating. I don't think I could get away with that nowadays.
June 25, 2012 07:22PM
altozwei Wrote:
> Oh yes. Austin's was terrific. We used to eat
> there after rehearsals when we were in a community
> chorus out at Mountain View College. I still miss
> it every time I drive through that intersection.
> My husband loved the mini juke boxes on the
> tables.
>
> Barbec's probably deserves a mention here, too.
> Great breakfast and a perfect location if you are
> riding/skating/running/walking around White Rock
> Lake. If Barbec's ever closes, I think the city
> might have to provide trauma counseling.

I have to agree with you on Barbec's. I love their beer biscuits. I think the Lochwood Pharmacy could fit in here. It had a soda fountain and a grill for hamburgers and such. I remember the magazine rack was right behind the barstools and you could read through them while you were eating. I don't think I could get away with that nowadays.
June 25, 2012 07:34PM
I regularly ate at Barbec's from the time they first opened in what had been Sir Beef (and, before that, Howard Johnson's - ugh!). My wife and I had the opportunity to go there last October when we were back in town for State Fair - as good as ever.
June 26, 2012 12:11PM
Here's one I don't think has been previously mentioned - the Market Diner on Harry Hines. Terrific food and an especially good choice if you enjoy watching trains go by :-)
June 26, 2012 07:38PM
Matthew,
I don't remember Sir Beef, but I do remember the Howard Johnson's. I remember one particular time going to the Howard Johnson's when I was about 7. I had to have quite a few baby teeth pulled that day and my parents took me there for dinner that evening. I remember getting a hamburger, but my mouth was too sore to eat it. If I'd of been smart, I could have milked it and finagled a shake instead.
February 22, 2013 09:13PM
The Beef House in Garland is my favorite! I always get the Albert's Special which is a scramble with eggs, sausage, bacon, tomatos, onions and lots of hash browns along with 5 tortillas and salsa!

Dave Lewis
bob
February 24, 2013 09:39PM
Just a couple of places I remember. The Topper, or maybe Top Hat across from the YMCA and across the street from the basement of the Dallas Police department.
February 25, 2013 11:44PM
How about Little Gus on lower Greenville Avenue?
February 26, 2013 12:05PM
Little Gus had terrific Greek food. We have a small Greek cafe in Bishop Arts these days. Their menu is smaller, but the food reminds me a lot of Little Gus.
February 27, 2013 07:31AM
evans circle grill out on buckner was a great place to eat it was owned by mayor jack evans uncle bob
May 20, 2013 09:42AM
Does anyone remember where the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor was? To my best recolection, it was on Oak Lawn where "Snookie's" is now. I can't find it listed in several phone books from the mid-fifties early sixties. And it's not listed in a 1947 directory, either. I swear that's where it was when I went there as a very little girl in the early 1950's. It was larger back then, but not is split between Snookies and a liqour store.
May 20, 2013 09:52AM
I meant "recollection" not "recolection". Believe me, I do have a college education. And I meant to use "now" instead of "not" when talking about what is currently in that space. I guess I was just too excited!
May 20, 2013 11:47AM
SHABOO Wrote:
> I meant "recollection" not "recolection". Believe
> me, I do have a college education. And I meant to
> use "now" instead of "not" when talking about what
> is currently in that space. I guess I was just
> too excited!

You can edit your posts.

I have not seen you posting here before. Welcome.

Dave McNeely
May 20, 2013 12:40PM
Shaboo -

My welcome as well.

There'e a 1950 Dallas Morning News help wanted ad for Carnation Ice Cream - Demonstration Store at 3604 Oak Lawn.

In 1952 there is a full page ad anouncing the grand opening of Henry's, formerly the Carnation Ice Cream - Demonstration Store at Oak Lawn and Bowser and my 1954 yellow pages has Henry's Retail Ice Cream Store at the same 3604 Oak Lawn.

The yellow pages list the Carnation Main Office on So Ervay.

My dad bought a new Pontiac from Van Winkle in 1954, just a few blocks away, and you would think a kid would remember an Ice Cream Shop, but I don't. I do recall getting a promotional Kodak Brownie camera in the neighborhood about the same time. The Kodak store was a few blocks the other way so would have passed the Ice Cream Shop, unless my dad took a back alley or two to keep me from seeing it.

M C
May 20, 2013 03:41PM
Pete's, on Beltline just west of Marsh, has been there since the early 70s and still as good as ever.
May 21, 2013 10:04AM
MC,

You know, I bet my mother just kept calling it the Carnation Ice Cream place because that is what it had been. I wasn't old enough to read during the couple of years we went there, so I wouldn't have noticed that by then it was called Henry's. That explains why I couldn't find it in the 1957 phone book as "Carnation". Maybe Henry's served Carnation brand ice cream!

Thank you so much!

Shaboo (not my real name, by the way!)
May 21, 2013 10:30AM
SHABOO Wrote:
> MC,
>
> You know, I bet my mother just kept calling it the
> Carnation Ice Cream place because that is what it
> had been. I wasn't old enough to read during the
> couple of years we went there, so I wouldn't have
> noticed that by then it was called Henry's. That
> explains why I couldn't find it in the 1957 phone
> book as "Carnation". Maybe Henry's served
> Carnation brand ice cream!

HAHA! That's probably true! In recent years, my husband and I have given up trying to remember what the music venue at Fair Park is called (Starplex, CocaCola Starplex, Smirnoff Music Center, Gexa Energy Pavillion). Now we just call it "that music thing at Fair Park"- separate, of course, from the Music Hall.
bug
May 21, 2013 11:50AM
That thing at Fair Park is still Starplex to me and the deal out in Grand Prairie is NextStage.
May 22, 2013 05:48AM
The Dairy-ette Drive in at Oates and Ferguson in east Dallas is still around serving Frosty mug rootbeer, burgers and fresh cut fries, since 1956. My hubby and I grew up around there, and we still Stop there on occasion.

The Beef House in Garland (Saturn and Kingsley) is still there..... drinking smiley

The Circle Grill on Buckner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login