Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diners and Coffee Shops

Posted by altozwei 
Re: Diners and Coffee Shops
April 04, 2016 10:38AM
mrchuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW!!! Mrs Heath's Steak House ,,,ate there a lot.
> Had stools you could sit on.
> The price was cheap and the steak was wonderful.
> Thanks for stirring up so many golden memories!

I worked at Mrs. Heath's Steak House. She was a very crusty old bird. She made her desserts at home and brought them to the restaurant to sell. I was bringing in a couple of them when the wind caught the door and knocked them out of my hand. She was less than pleased. My job entailed standing in a red nehru jacket outside the front door and making sure movie patrons didn't take up her reserved spots up front. She liked to hire kids, like me, below age 16 so as to escape the onerous $1.90 an hour she'd otherwise have to pay. We got $1.35 an hour and after a year I asked for a raise. I believe she may have giggled.
April 04, 2016 10:40AM
My family owned the O'Henry's hamburger shop across the street from the fairgrounds in the early to mid 60's. It didn't last too long. At the time no one went to the area except for the fair and if they were going to the fair they sure weren't going to eat hamburgers across the street!
April 04, 2016 01:05PM
dhumphus Wrote:
>
> Austins ("tender as ol' Austins heart) BBQ
> on....it's coming to me...Kiest and Westmorland I
> believe.
> Give me awhile. I'll think of more.

Hampton and Illinois

Dave McNeely
April 04, 2016 01:19PM
Naylor's Fried Chicken was a nicer than a diner place on West Davis near Hampton Road that was much appreciated at the time. For a while they had a more diner-like restaurant in Westmoreland Heights Shopping Center, across the street from Page's Drug Store. I worked at the A&P there for a time in the early sixties, and often lunch ate at Naylor's on Saturday. They served hot rolls with their chicken, and there was always honey in squeeze bottles on the tables to put on the rolls. I think the building where that Naylor's was was at other times a fun arcade and a barbecue place, but the barbecue was never anything to write home about.

Dave McNeely
April 16, 2016 03:31PM
I was re-reading some of these posts today and it saddened me to note that we discussed Kel's when it was still open. It was so disappointing to loose such a fine place.
April 17, 2016 07:30PM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> Naylor's Fried Chicken was a nicer than a diner
> place on West Davis near Hampton Road that was
> much appreciated at the time. For a while they
> had a more diner-like restaurant in Westmoreland
> Heights Shopping Center, across the street from
> Page's Drug Store. I worked at the A&P there for
> a time in the early sixties, and often lunch ate
> at Naylor's on Saturday. They served hot rolls
> with their chicken, and there was always honey in
> squeeze bottles on the tables to put on the rolls.
> I think the building where that Naylor's was was
> at other times a fun arcade and a barbecue place,
> but the barbecue was never anything to write home
> about.

If you are referring to the stand-alone building in the WHSC parking lot across from the then 7/11. In the mid to late 50s it was a youth hangout à la "Happy Days". Wasted many hrs there during that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 04:30AM by Frank.
April 21, 2016 09:44AM
Frank Wrote:
> old man from dallas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Naylor's Fried Chicken was a nicer than a diner
> > place on West Davis near Hampton Road that was
> > much appreciated at the time. For a while they
> > had a more diner-like restaurant in
> Westmoreland
> > Heights Shopping Center, across the street from
> > Page's Drug Store. I worked at the A&P there
> for
> > a time in the early sixties, and often lunch
> ate
> > at Naylor's on Saturday. They served hot rolls
> > with their chicken, and there was always honey
> in
> > squeeze bottles on the tables to put on the
> rolls.
> > I think the building where that Naylor's was
> was
> > at other times a fun arcade and a barbecue
> place,
> > but the barbecue was never anything to write
> home
> > about.
>
> If you are referring to the stand-alone building
> in the WHSC parking lot across from the then 7/11.
> In the mid to late 50s it was a youth hangout à
> la "Happy Days". Wasted many hrs there during
> that time.

That's the location.

Dave McNeely
May 23, 2016 01:16PM
Back in the 50s, my mom used to take us for lunch sometimes to a place (I would call it a diner) called Rockeyfellers (or Rockefellers?) which was located in and around Walnut Hill Village. As I recall, it was a chain but we never went to any other locations. I believe you can see it in a photograph taken at Hart Bowl by a Life photographer - between the slide and the elbow on the guy on the left.

The collection of photos of Hart Bowl is pretty interesting for folks who remember that place too.
May 24, 2016 12:03PM
We ate a lot at Ken's Kitchen, which came before Kel's in the original location on the north end of Preston Forest Center when it first opened in the late 50's. I still fondly remember Kip's Big Boy on Inwood and Lemmon on the corner where Fred's BBQ had been. The diner I have the fondest memories of is Melios Bros. Char-Bar on Greenville Ave. It was still there the last time we drove down Greenville, but they aren't open 24 hours like they were when we were living in East Dallas in the 70's. It was a very convenient place for musicians and those who didn't want to share the roads with drunks to have a late/early breakfast and decompress for a while. The really interesting thing about the Char-Bar was that it seemed to be a sort of safe zone where everyone: cops, hookers, rednecks, bikers, hippies, Moonies, and musicians could eat in peace. It was not unusual to see the local patrolman stop and tell a booth full of hookers to keep safe and be careful. The other good place to go when the bars closed was the Pancake House in Lakewood, which I think was mentioned in another post in this thread.
June 08, 2016 08:12AM
Hi everyone,
I stumbled across the discussion of Webb's Waffle Shops, owned by John Chester Webb...then turned over to his three sons. The one in the Southerland Hotel.
Well, Mr. Webb also had a daughter! and I am her daughter, so Chester was my grandfather. We were very close. I have pictures if anyone is interested. I also have ONE old Webb's Waffle Shops matchbook, I could snap a photo of. I remember seeing one of those matchbook covers on sale on EBay

fal010509@att.net

Alice Craven Baker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 08:20AM by DallasGirl.
March 11, 2017 12:37PM
Recently found this picture - which I think was not digitized last time I checked - from SMU library. Rockeyfellers at Walnut Hill Village. I had forgotten the goofy cone-shaped stands on the stools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login