Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The High Rise @ Abrams and Northwest Hwy in the 60's and 70's

Posted by glensky 
The High Rise @ Abrams and Northwest Hwy in the 60's and 70's
April 27, 2012 02:52PM
What was the building that was at the southeast corner of abrams and northwest hwy in the early 70's/late 60's it seems to have been at least 4 or 5 stories tall. It was at the present-day site of the Aldi there.
bug
Re: The High Rise @ Abrams and Northwest Hwy in the 60's and 70's
April 27, 2012 04:29PM
I don't recall a building that tall near there.

The place where the Aldi is has changed some,
but not that much in probably 40 years.
It was a Safeway, later on a sporting goods store I think.
There was also a barber shop back there in the corner, once upon a time.
And a Ward's and a Shakey's right close by.
April 27, 2012 07:52PM
I've been looking at historicaerials.com and they show a building casting a very long shadow there in the late 60's and early 70's. Maybe the photo was taken early morning?
April 28, 2012 09:08PM
Like "Bug," I do not remember a tall building at that location.
April 28, 2012 10:51PM
On being enlarged, the dark structure in the historicaerials photos for 1972 and 1979 appears to be a structure of no more than two stories -- something with a somewhat variegated dark roof that's casting a uniformly black shadow about as wide as the shadows from the other buildings. The resolution on the photos is so low that it's difficult to separate the structure from its shadow.
April 29, 2012 06:38AM
The building that Aldi is in was built in 1965 so it could not be what you remember.

Ralph
April 29, 2012 07:51PM
There was no building at that location after 1965 that would have been taller than the grocery store (Safeway??). My parents lived near the corner of Rexton and Lovers Lane (about 2/3 blocks SE of the intersection) from the mid 60's to the mid 90's and I frequented that area on many occasions. Likely the photo is a shadow trick of some sort. I think the closest tall building on the south side of NW Hiway would have been about a mile west at Central. It was 12 to 15 stories and named or owned by some oil company--maybe Fina or Pennzoil?

Mike
April 29, 2012 08:48PM
I don't think it's a shadow at all, but part of the roof (it's an L-shaped building). And yes, I remember the Safeway being there in the '70s, and years later (in the last ten years or so) I can remember going in there when it was a sporting goods store (maybe an Oshman's). If you look at the current photos, that part of the roof that arches (remember the trademark Safeway arching roof with the wooden beams?) is darker colored, and it's in the same location as in the 1972 historicaerials.com photo.
April 30, 2012 07:45AM
That 12 story building at NW Hwy and Central was owned by Fina Oli and Chemical. I worked there for a few years back in the 90's.

Hope
April 30, 2012 07:45AM
That 12 story building at NW Hwy and Central was owned by Fina Oli and Chemical. I worked there for a few years back in the 90's.

Hope
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login