Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So who is the oldest reader of this forum?

Posted by Dennis H 
Re: So who is the oldest reader of this forum?
February 18, 2012 03:32PM
At least I come in second (if I didn't overlook anyone) at 77 1/4 in one more week! Cheers to all!
February 18, 2012 09:31PM
1959, Baylor. I'll take over as the youngest.
February 28, 2012 04:16AM
ernie5823 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess we need to start by saying how old we are.
> At just 67, I'm a youngster, I'm sure.

Howdy cousin Ernie! I just found my way back here.

I was born in Dallas at Florence Nightingale, August 1942, so age 70 is approaching quickly.

I truly appreciate those contributors to the old DHS MB site and to this MB site who are older than I am and have shared so much history and memories. It's also great that so many younger than me are also getting into the Dallas history and contributing their views.
February 29, 2012 07:03AM
I have to agree with Fred, it is good to have some of the older posters still on here but also is great we have many newer folks here that are interested in Dallas History.......Bill Strouse
March 02, 2012 02:24AM
Well, I am almost 45...so I may be the baby here (just like in my family). I love Dallas and have become more interested in the history of it as I have gotten older. I wish now I had listened more closely to my Dad's stories of growing up in Dallas.
March 02, 2012 05:53AM
I'm very much attached to this city....I've never really left it. I will likely die here, but that ain't so bad. I have witnessed a lot of things in this town and heard a lot of stories...some true and some fabrications. Though I live up in Collin Co., my roots are in Dallas/Oak Cliff. Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 05:54AM by jgoodman.
March 02, 2012 01:06PM
64, I wasn't born in Dallas but I got here as quick as I could, summer of '78.
March 02, 2012 01:43PM
Cowboy
I hate to do this, especially to just get to second place, but In will turn 78 on the first of April.

Ralph Fentress Black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 01:44PM by Ralph F. Black.
March 02, 2012 02:44PM
I came to Dallas in '58, when I was just 4. I left to find a new home when I was 24, in 1979, after the prospect of staying had become untenable. Haven't been back but to visit since, and probably never will. After all, it really isn't my town anymore. But I love thinking back and remembering. And I thank the members of this board who are either older, wiser, and/or more observant, all of whom are a great help to me in reconstructing a large part of my past. An especial thanks to M.C. Toyer, Ralph Black, Bill Strouse, Dennis H. and rojinks.
March 02, 2012 02:46PM
Happy birthday, Ralph! Look out on your birthday for people trying to trick you. They may say some things that just aren't so.

For about 25 years now I've had to come up with an April Fool's trick on my wife that involves a rabbit, as when she was a kid, her father did that every year; I didn't take on the task until we'd been married about 15 years, but now I'm committed, and I don't mind saying it's not easy to find something new. I'm even tempted to move into the realm of live rabbits (or cooked ones), but so far it hasn't quite come to that.

So I'll happily move back into third place and welcome you into the #2 slot.

Best,

C B
March 02, 2012 09:49PM
So happy to see some youngsters chiming in. I hope you all enjoy this board as much as I have, even though I haven't been a frequent poster. Seems that when a thread opens up I'm not here before someone has already posted most of what I might have to add. My memories run through several Dallas neighborhoods from South Dallas to Trinity Heights to East Dallas to West Dallas to Irving between 1936 and 1957.Happy times recalled through this board.
March 03, 2012 06:02AM
curtis flatt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am 74. Got on this gig about 7 years ago.
> THought I wood win, but alas I lost.

I think Travis B has beat everyone, so far, at almost 80. ......I have to say, though, that you have done so much to document the CSA vets' graves in Dallas County and your honor guard participation and taps honoring the vets at their burial services is something to be much admired.

You have also contributed to the DHS message board of old a ton of information regarding locations of obscure cemetaries and names.

I met you in person in 2006 and can attest that you definitely look much younger than your true age. Semper Fi
March 11, 2012 08:42PM
Hey guys,

I registered on this forum several years ago and have been a very frequent reader ( i think this is my first post though). I have always loved history (especially Dallas history) and have probably read almost every post on here over the last couple of years. I just wanted to post my age which will be 42 years old on March 19. I was born in 1970 in Dallas, Texas. I also have a 93 year old grandmother that is still alive and well who grew up in Dallas. She is still very sharp mentally so if anyone wanted me to ask her some things about her recollections of Dallas then I think it would probably be fun for her. I guess because of her age I just can't see her on here on her own.
March 12, 2012 12:55AM
Congratulations on your first posting and your offer to ask your grandmother about her memories of the earlier Dallas area!

It might help us to formulate questions if you could tell us what areas of Dallas she has lived in during her long life, where she might have worked, etc.

When she was born, my mom was one and my dad was 10. ..............Look forward to seeing more postings from you. .............Fred
March 12, 2012 07:02AM
question should be who has been on the forum the longest. I started on this forum in 1999, but I am probably the youngest one on here. at 41 born in 1970
March 12, 2012 12:22PM
Fred,

She grew up on Jamaica St. Which is in south Dallas, very near Fair Park. She lived there until she married my grandfather in 1942 and he returned home from service in 1945. I think in the early 50's they moved to Oak Cliff on Salerno St. Eventually settling in a home on Homer St. (which is between Henderson and Fitzhugh) the 50's where she lived until the early 80's. She now lives in east Texas and is doing good, especially considering her age. I will have to ask where she worked earlier but she worked at Fannie Mae for about 25 years in Dallas before retiring in1978.

Sent from I phone
Kevin Miller
March 29, 2012 09:37AM
Born in Waco 1944, family moved to Dallas in 1946, lived there tll 1959, moved back to Waco. I finished school and college and moved back to Dallas 1970 - moved back to Waco in 1982.

Had grandparents in Ft. Worth, so saw lots of old Ft. Worth too!

I certainly enjoy this Phorum - relive lots of old memories and places!
JNB
April 05, 2012 09:27PM
I was born in 1931 at the old Baylor Hospital. I have been (admittedly off and on) a member of Old Red and the DHS since the early 2000's. If you have any replies, questions or answers to my recent posts on "Sherlock Holmes In Dallas" and/or "The Big Show", please do so .smiling smiley
April 11, 2012 02:09PM
Happy to have you take my place JNB. Good to have you back on the board.
MWT
April 11, 2012 03:38PM
Fittey 8 Oak Cliff,Texas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login