Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dallas Preachers

Posted by BillB 
Dallas Preachers
February 05, 2012 09:57AM
Here are a few old time Dallas preachers that I either remember or remember hearing about.
If you recognize any of them, please share your thoughts.

W. A. Criswell- First Baptist
George Truitt - First Baptist
J. C. Hibbard- Gospel Lighthouse
Jack Coe - Not sure- healer
Buel Crouch - Grace Temple Baptist - One of the best I ever heard.
W. V. Grant - Jr and Sr. - Souls Harbor

J. Frank Norris - First Baptist Fort Worth- Not a Dallasite but made a big impact here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 02:49PM by BillB.
Re: Dallas Preachers
February 05, 2012 12:13PM
I'd add Dr. Herbert R. Howard at Park Cities Baptist Church. During his time at PCBC the church grew from its original location on Lover's Lane in an old manse, with a few pre-fabs to the present location on MW Hiway. The Lover's Lane location is now owned by HPISD and the baseball field, Scotland Yard, and the IPF as well as the administration offices occupy what had been church property.

Park Cities and perhaps other churches sponsored a sort of mission church in West Dallas as late as the sixties and may still (I've been away from dallas for a long time). I don't remember the family name of the preacher but everyone referred to him as "Brother Bill." He was a big, rough man probably with out a lot of education, but a strong preacher and probably well suited to his congregation.

I was in Dallas long enough that I probably heard Dr. Criswell and Dr. Truitt at one time or another, but can't recall an exact date.

Not Baptists, but I also remember Patrick Henry at Northway Christian and the pastor at the original location of Lover's Lane Methodist but don't recall his name. Nor do I recall the name of the priest who was the spiritual leader of Christ the King Catholic on Preston Road. but he was impressive also. Still another minister I remember from the 50's - 60's was Gaston Foote, who had a big Methodist church in Fort Worth.
February 05, 2012 12:13PM
I'd add Dr. Herbert R. Howard at Park Cities Baptist Church. During his time at PCBC the church grew from its original location on Lover's Lane in an old manse, with a few pre-fabs to the present location on MW Hiway. The Lover's Lane location is now owned by HPISD and the baseball field, Scotland Yard, and the IPF as well as the administration offices occupy what had been church property.

Park Cities and perhaps other churches sponsored a sort of mission church in West Dallas as late as the sixties and may still (I've been away from dallas for a long time). I don't remember the family name of the preacher but everyone referred to him as "Brother Bill." He was a big, rough man probably with out a lot of education, but a strong preacher and probably well suited to his congregation.

I was in Dallas long enough that I probably heard Dr. Criswell and Dr. Truitt at one time or another, but can't recall an exact date.

Not Baptists, but I also remember Patrick Henry at Northway Christian and the pastor at the original location of Lover's Lane Methodist but don't recall his name. Nor do I recall the name of the priest who was the spiritual leader of Christ the King Catholic on Preston Road. but he was impressive also. Still another minister I remember from the 50's - 60's was Gaston Foote, who had a big Methodist church in Fort Worth.
February 05, 2012 09:53PM
Buel Crouch attended Adamson High School with my mother. Mama admired him as a preacher but stayed mad at him for years over the decision to vote Oak Cliff dry. She always said he was instrumental in pushing for that vote and she was disappointed in him. Mama wasn't a drinker at all, but she thought that was a poor decision, stifling Oak Cliff as a community and sending way too much money across the river.
February 06, 2012 09:01PM
I didn't know about Crouch doing that.
I used to hear him on the radio on Sundays. They broadcast one of his services.
February 07, 2012 05:45AM
I was a member of Grace Temple in the 50s and Buel Crouch, along with the paster at Tyler Street Methodist, were the driving force in the dry vote in OC. During those days OC was full of very roudy "beer joints" and the Jukebox Wars were in full swing-much different than today.
February 12, 2012 08:32AM
The founding pastor of Lovers Lane Methodist was Tom Shipp. Significant names in Christ The King history include Bishop Lynch, Thomas Gorman, and Donald Zimmerman. The most prominent of Dallas' Jewish leaders was probably Rabbi Levi Olan, who led Temple Emanu-el (NW Highway at Hillcrest) from 1949 to 1970. Olan was noted as a scholar and was active in Dallas civic affairs. He was succeeded by Rabbi Gerald Klein.
February 14, 2012 01:02AM
The Hendrix College web site has a short biography of Marshall T. Steele, who was minister of Highland Park Methodist 1936-1958. My scout troop (#82) met at that church, which is how I came to hear him preach occasionally.

My attempt to attach a link didn't succeed, so I'll try again and also try to cut and paste their information:

Dr. Marshall T. Steel
1958-1969

Marshall T. Steel The son and grandson of Methodist ministers, Dr. Steel grew up in Fort Smith and graduated with honors from Hendrix in 1927. After receiving a bachelor of divinity degree from Union Theological Seminary in New York, he served as the pastor of Arkansas churches in Carlisle, Bauxite, Monticello and Winfield Methodist Church in Little Rock. Reverend Steel also received an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Hendrix in 1939 and served for a time on the school’s Board of Trustees. In 1936 Dr. Steel became the minister of Highland Park Methodist Church in Dallas, Texas. When he left 22 years later the congregation exceeded over 8,000 and had become widely known as the voice of the weekly radio program, Methodist Men’s Hour. His eleven year leadership of Hendrix brought substantial changes to the institution. More new buildings were constructed than at any comparable time, varsity football and compulsory chapel were discontinued and the rules of dress and conduct were relaxed. The Marshall T. Steel Center for the Study of Religion and Philosophy continues his legacy of leadership by promoting the study of religion and philosophy on the Hendrix campus.

(The photo didn't survive the paste. Google Dr. Marshall T. Steele and go to the Hendrix site for their post and the photo.)
February 14, 2012 05:39AM
Keith Nichols Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The founding pastor of Lovers Lane Methodist was
> Tom Shipp. Significant names in Christ The King
> history include Bishop Lynch, Thomas Gorman, and
> Donald Zimmerman. The most prominent of Dallas'
> Jewish leaders was probably Rabbi Levi Olan, who
> led Temple Emanu-el (NW Highway at Hillcrest) from
> 1949 to 1970. Olan was noted as a scholar and was
> active in Dallas civic affairs. He was succeeded
> by Rabbi Gerald Klein.

Seems like a story I heard was that three men who had been in seminary together all became pastors of churches in Dallas and all contributed to the growth of the parish they served including the construction of the physical plants seen in the late fifties. One was at Christ The King and another perhaps in the Lakewood area. I don't recall the other location. At Christ The King that evidently would have been Msgr. Bender based on the history I see in the church website.

Can someone conform or correct my old memory?
February 22, 2012 05:09PM
In a note above I mentioned "Brother Bill," but did not recall his family name. I GOOGLED and got 8.,690 hits and found that William Lee Harrod, a former associate of Bonnie and Clyde passed away in 1976 at the age of 72. I don't recall hearing of that connection when I was young. Brother Bill Harrod founded the "Helping Hand" organization which still operates. I have never been much interested in Bonnie and Clyde although I have met people who were quite taken with their story. Still, it is strange to think I heard someone preach who was one of their friends.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login