Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Old Blue Cross Building

Posted by pstawicki 
Old Blue Cross Building
November 17, 2011 01:06AM
When 100 North Central Downtown was the Blue Cross Blue Shield building, it had a North Facing window on the 12th floor that appeared to be a Drive Up Bank Style window. Obviously being that high it would make no sense and that level of the building was the Auditorium/Cafeteria. Does anyone know anything about this window and its purpose.

Mac
Re: Old Blue Cross Building
November 17, 2011 06:58PM
Great photo. I can't answer your question. But usually when you see a building face like that with no windows, it means that when the Blue Cross building was constructed, there was another building on that North side. That building, whatever it was, was torn down, leaving the blank face of the Blue Cross building. What you are calling a drive-up window may have been some sort of connecting door with the torn down building, OR it could be double doors used to hoist large items to the upper floors with a crane. Sort of an open air freight elevator.

Just speculation on my part.

mac

[www.flickr.com]

[www.ohio66.com]

[redoakkid.wordpress.com]
November 18, 2011 05:19AM
Mac, I was gonna say that, as BC/BS needed to expand, they just raised the first floor and built all the others underneath it...your idea makes more sense, though.
November 21, 2011 01:04PM
It may have been some kind of observation window; I don't know. I do remember when the building was stripped down to its frame back in the '70s, and turned into the boring blue-and-brown glass box first known as the Zorina Building. Looking at Google Maps, it now has some law firm's name at the top (but I can't quite make out the name).

That would have been on the north side of the building (facing Elm St.), and looking at a comparison of 1958 and 2004 photos at historicaerials.com, there don't appear to be any adjoining buildings in the 1958 photo on the north side that are nearly as tall as the BCBS building. So, as far as that window goes, the mystery deepens.

Interestingly enough, when you search DCAD for records of the building, the business personal property address is 100 N. Central Expwy., but, the real property address is 2201 Main St., and it's owned by a Garland company, "Dorbet Inc." It lists a construction date of 1959, but it shows up on the 1958 historicaerials photo, so it has to be older than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2011 02:49PM by sharkins.
Mac
November 21, 2011 05:10PM
Thanks for the info on when the building was built and when it was remodeled. I thought it had been torn down.

That drive thru window could also be a vent for the heating and air conditioning room. Some buildings have this in the basement but some have it on the top floor.

mac

[www.flickr.com]

[www.ohio66.com]

[redoakkid.wordpress.com]
Pat
July 01, 2012 08:37PM
Oh, my goodness! That's where I worked after I graduated from college! A few years later, BC moved t the Zales Bldg. Later, it moved to north Dallas on Spring Valley Road, I think? Wow.
July 02, 2012 08:24AM
BCBS bought one of the old Cook's discount stores, at Central and Belt Line (SE corner), and built a larger building onto the back of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login