Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cowboy Weaver

Posted by BillB 
Cowboy Weaver
October 29, 2011 07:33AM
I don't know if he had anything to do with Dallas, but he had a Saturday afternoon TV show for years on Channel 11.

He was quite a character. We used to watch him for laughs. It was some of the worst lip synching you've ever seen.

[heroeswest.com]
Re: Cowboy Weaver
October 29, 2011 08:34AM
hello friends and neighbors out there in television land this is yours truly cowboy weaver comming to you from the sunset ranch in athens texas

cowboy weavers theme song fill my way every day with love as i walk with the heavenly dove thats all i can remember of the song

i remember big brother tommy weaver on drums and george mccoy on the guitar

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 11:28AM by rojinks.
October 29, 2011 11:26AM
rojinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hello friends out there in radio land this is
> yours truly cowboy weaver comming to you from the
> sunset ranch in athens texas
>
> cowboy weavers theme song fill my way every day
> with love as i walk with the heavenly dove thats
> all i can remember of the song
>
> i remember big brother tommy weaver on drums and
> george mccoy on the guitar

You got it!

I think he called his band "Pals of the Saddle"
Seems like he was on all during the sixties and on into the '80s.

I read that he got into some kind of legal trouble after his show ended.
October 29, 2011 10:13PM
My grandparents came to Oak Cliff in 1948 and were die hard country fans. Saturday afternoons they were glued to the TV to see Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner, Dewey Groom and the Longhorn band,Cowboy Weaver and I think the finale was always Hee Haw.
October 30, 2011 08:39AM
samfordb Wrote:
> My grandparents came to Oak Cliff in 1948 and were
> die hard country fans. Saturday afternoons they
> were glued to the TV to see Dolly Parton and
> Porter Wagoner, Dewey Groom and the Longhorn
> band,Cowboy Weaver and I think the finale was
> always Hee Haw.

The Saturday afternoon line up I remember during the 1960s was Cowboy Weaver, the Wilburn Brothers, Porter Wagoner and Ernest Tubb. Arthur ' Guitar Boogie' Smith was in there for awhile, but didn't last long.

Hee Haw was a network show that came along in the late '60s or early '70s. Panther Hall (with Bill Mack) was added to the Channel 11 lineup along about then, too.
October 31, 2011 08:28AM
We only had one TV in those days and my dad controlled the programs on Saturdays. We watched all of those country shows. Didn't the Happy Goodman Family have the first show on in the afternoon?
October 31, 2011 02:58PM
altozwei Wrote:
> We only had one TV in those days and my dad
> controlled the programs on Saturdays. We watched
> all of those country shows. Didn't the Happy
> Goodman Family have the first show on in the
> afternoon?

The Happy Goodmans may have had a Saturday show, but I don't remember it. I went into the military in 1967 and missed it from then on. Most of the shows I mentioned were still on when I came back in 1971.
I remember seeing the Goodmans a lot during the early to mid sixties but I don't remember where I saw them.

"I wouldn't take nothing for my journey, now" - I remember them singing that one a lotsmiling smiley
February 22, 2013 10:02PM
Cowboy Weaver often had videos of singers inserted in the show. He would say thank you at the end of those segments like we were supposed to believe they were actually in his studio.

He also had a kid that always sang "Wild Bill Tonight and Sweet William in the Morning" off key. He had a clown type character named Spec Rhodes who played bass.

Dave Lewis
February 23, 2013 07:28AM
I went to a country school named Burton which was between Gainesville and Denton, it had classes from 1 to 9 and after that you went to the high school at Collinsville. We would have performers come through occasionally wanting to put on a show and one was a guy named Lloyd Weaver out of Fort Worth and he sang a couple of songs and had a magic trick that was really pretty good so naturally all the kids went home and told their parents what a magnificent show this fellow was going to put on and the old schoolhouse was packed the night of the show and the show was awful, I mean really bad, this was probably about 1945 or 1946 and Lloyd and his band had some sort of big 30's model car they were traveling in and after the show it had 3 flat tires and I can still see them to this day pumping those tires up with a hand pump. This Lloyd Weaver later on became Cowboy Weaver and had a TV show at one time in the Houston area and I believe he was sent to prison in the late 90's on some sort of morals charge.
February 23, 2013 07:53AM
Here's a link to a picture of Weaver, Dewey Groom and some lady.
It's exactly how I remember him looking.
Scroll about half way down and yoiu'll see it.

[texasfishingforum.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login