Things manufactured in Dallas
February 26, 2011 05:26AM
Most of us know that various products from hats, beer, and automobiles were once manufactured in Dallas. Dallas is still on the map for semiconductors. What else was (is) manufactured here that the average Dallasite is unaware of?
Re: Things manufactured in Dallas
February 26, 2011 06:38AM
Dixiecups ( OC ) , Tupperwear ( on Westmorland in OC ), Oil Well Equipment (Security Engineering in OC ) , Roofing (GAF and operated under other names, Singleton Blvd in West Dallas ) , Procter & Gamble (Crisco, Tide, Ivory Soap, you name it - on Lamar Street ) , Studebaker Wagons ( Pacific Ave - downtown Dallas ) , Gardner Denver ( Air Compressors ) , Otis Engineering ( oil field equipment ) , several brick plants

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 07:01AM by Wayne Pritchett.
February 26, 2011 07:44AM
I you're willing to talk the Greater Dallas/Mid-cities area, one should not forget ------- airplanes.
February 26, 2011 10:03AM
Yep, has been a lot of Aircraft built in the DFW area down thru the years including the T-6 Texan, P-51 Mustang, F-7U Cutlass, A-7 Corsair II, F-8 Crusader, XF-42, B-24 Liberator, B-32 Dominator, B-36, F-111, F-16 and F-35 and I am sure I left a few out, I know Vought builds parts of several different aircraft still........Bill Strouse
February 26, 2011 11:53AM
I have to admit that you left out my favorite--B-58 Hustler. Drove from Abilene to Convair plant one Saturday in the late 50s/early 60s to see the plane up-close at an open house. It had a LOT of short-comings, but going fast and looking cool were not among them.
February 26, 2011 01:28PM
Apparently Vought Aircraft Industries has been sold again.

[www.triumphgroup.com]

I knew that moms survivors benefit (dad worked there nearly 30 years) had change names, but didn't know why.
Never heard of Triumph until now. The wife and I were driving back from Grand Prairie on Jefferson yesterday and there is a "for sale by GAO" sign on the side of the westernmost building. I guess they mean just the building and not the whole site.
Also, Vought no longer appears on the side of the building despite what the link above says.
Paul
February 26, 2011 06:33PM
Yep, I did forget the B-58, an aircraft way, way ahead of its time....think it may still hold some speed records, a very good preserved example is at the AF Museum at Wright Patterson AFB at Dayton.....one of the record holders. Any other I left out???????? Bill Strouse
February 26, 2011 08:12PM
Dennis H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of us know that various products from hats,
> beer, and automobiles were once manufactured in
> Dallas. Dallas is still on the map for
> semiconductors. What else was (is) manufactured
> here that the average Dallasite is unaware of?

Van Camps (canned goods - like Pork and Beans ), FritoLay ( salty snacks etc.), carpet tackboard (OC-1970s), Military Uniforms (Burks Mfg - downtown Dallas), Tents and Canopys (EH Teasley on Corinth)
February 27, 2011 05:26AM
The old Ford Plant on Grand Ave. produced many Ford Vehicles, Pollock Paper and other paper companys use to produce various paper products, the old Oak Cliff Box Co. made boxes, P&G produced Soap Products for many years, Mrs Bairds made lots of Bread for a long time and Haggar made many a pair of pants out there by Love Field, am sure there are many more but that is what I can think of right now.....Bill Strouse........
February 27, 2011 09:22AM
Come on Guys. This is Dallas and you have forgotten Dr. Pepper? smiling smiley
bug
February 27, 2011 12:43PM
Bette Nesmith (Michael from the Monkee's Mom) Graham
invented and made correction fluid (Liquid Paper) in her kitchen
February 27, 2011 03:09PM
purex bleach was made in north dallas out on storey road, before, going out of business shutting down in the seventies i think
February 28, 2011 08:06AM
Bedding (matresses and box springs) as well as some furniture by Simmons. The had a factory just off Hines Blvd in the early 50's. I worked there a few months when I was discharged from Uncle Sam's custody (Army) in 1952. Also, during WWII there was a facility in Dallas, near Fair Park, that made and repaired parachutes. Don't remember the name but my mom worked a night shift there in 1943/44.
January 04, 2012 12:04PM
My father owned Machine Product Company located on Harry Hines across from Parkland hospital. He manufactured gears and heavy machinery.
He made all the gears for the machines, contracted by Chance Vought, that produce the bombs for the Vietnam war. Vought's A-7 Corsair II, a carrier-borne close air support and attack plane in 1965, an aircraft which would become heavily engaged in a variety of close support and strike missions during the Vietnam War,
January 05, 2012 01:04AM
Bill Strouse pretty well covered the aircraft built in the area but I think it worth mentioning that major sub asemblies of the f-102 and F-106 fighter planes were built at Convair - Fort Worth located at Carswell although final assembly was accomplished in San Diego IIRC.

And there was a company located a I believe in North Dallas - north of NW Hiway - that manufactured a concentrate for an non-carbonated orange flavored bevarage . It was sold in gallon jugs. They may have had a similar grape flavored product also, no longer sure. I don't recall the name of the drink but the family involved was named Dial and they may have lived in Park Cities at one time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 01:06AM by vft_refectory.
January 05, 2012 09:41AM
To the list of aircraft made in the Dallas area can be added the late versions of Vought's 'bent wing bird' (F4U and AU) and the Luscombe Silvaire.
January 06, 2012 06:54AM
Chance Vought moved to Dallas in 1949 (took over the old North American plant that built the P-51C's and D's during the War), pretty sure the first aircraft they built here was the F7U Cutlass, a beautiful airplane but not worth a flip.....way underpowered.........Bill Strouse
January 06, 2012 12:24PM
Actually production of the F4U family continued after the firm's move to the Dallas area, winding up in, it seems, 1952.
January 08, 2012 06:24AM
The last Corsair rolled off the production line in Jan. 1953....went to the French.....Bill Strouse
January 09, 2012 01:41AM
It came to me that no one has mentioned the Temco Model 51 or TT-1 or Pinto jet trainer. Only a few were built and eventually the company was absorbed by L-T-V.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login