Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Things manufactured in Dallas

Posted by Dennis H 
Re: Things manufactured in Dallas
January 09, 2012 04:59AM
I remember Temco well, I had forgotten about the Pinto, Temco also did a lot of parts building for many aircraft including the P2V and B-47 and refurbished many aircraft for the Air Force including the C-54, B-29 and B-50.......most of the refurbishing and upgrading was done at their Greenville, Texas plant at Majors Field.......Bill Strouse
January 10, 2012 09:47AM
Somewhere I have a couple of 8x10 glossy PR photos of the T-51 - my dad worked at TEMCO as a buyer, in the mid '50s.
June 08, 2020 12:29PM
Resurrecting a very old thread here. What about cotton gin equipment? I think that Murray Gin was on Canton Street. Also, plastic ware called Texas Ware (dining dishes) in Oak Cliff. Portland cement was manufactured from the limestone quarried in West Dallas, and a whole community out there, Cement City, was named for the plant. I don't remember the name of the company, but a friend spent an entire life working at a plant that made rifle scopes. He maintained the spider cultures that produced the silk for the cross-hairs. Most people probably never knew that spider silk was the material used for that. And I believe that the spiders were black widows specifically, because they make the best threads for the purpose.

If we include the suburbs (and folks already have), then TI made a wide variety of electronic equipment, including the first and for a long time the only integrated circuit chips. For kids in high school and college at the time, and scientists and engineers, they manufactured the end of the slide rule -- that is, electronic calculators. Collins Radio built radar equipment and bomb sites, among other instruments.

Not particular to Dallas, but Dallas had large plants, ice, particularly Southland Ice in Oak Cliff that became Seven Eleven.

Someone mentioned corn chips (Frito Company, became Frito Lay, now Pepsico). What about potato chips at the Morton's Potato Chip plant in Oak Cliff?

Dearborn Heaters, headquarters in Dearborn, MI, but with a plant in Dallas.

Dave McNeely

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2020 04:09PM by old man from dallas.
June 15, 2020 12:15AM
Marmon Trucks manufactured in Garland, Texas was one of the finest heavy duty trucks of it's age.

If I remember correctly the manufacturing facility located on Shiloh Road was purchased by International Trucks which utilized the facility for a short time and then moved their operations.

I remember as a rookie cop in a suburb of Oklahoma City in 1966 a local wrecker service purchased a new heavy duty wrecker and it was mounted on a Marmon cab and chassis. I returned to Oklahoma City in 1994 for a funeral and saw that the wrecker was still being utilized and looked as good as new, just a different color scheme.

I guess the big three, Kenworth, Freightliner and Peterbilt put a lot of small heavy duty trucking manufacturers out of business, Marmon being one. International, GMC and Mack have held on a now comes Volvo, making it the big four.

Remember Brockway, Reo, Diamond T, White, Diamond Reo, Sterling and Western Star very popular heavy duty trucks, now mostly gone or reduced to a small operations.

I am not completely useless, I can always be used as a bad example.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login