Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quarry pit, with blue water in it at Bluff View

Posted by mrchuck 
Quarry pit, with blue water in it at Bluff View
February 04, 2011 06:42AM
I was reading another post where Ralph Black said he worked in Bluff View in the early Fifties.
I used to go swimming at this quarry site. The fence had part of it down at the corner, and there was a trail that led down to where a rope and tire was hanging over the water.
We always swam there. Wonderful water which was deep and stayed cool cause of it's depth.
I wonder if it is still there?? Or did it get filled in?
If it's still there, can you still drive by it?
Re: Quarry pit, with blue water in it at Bluff View
February 09, 2011 02:08AM
I am drawing a blank about the quarry pit with deep water you mention. I thought I knew a little about the area overlooking the creek that flows into Bachman's Lake though admittedly that was mostly from driving by on NW Hiway many times. But my family rented two different houses located on or just off Elsby which runs into W. Lover's Lane when they first moved to Dallas and before they bought the house in University Park which I have mentioned in another thread. I've been to the top of the bluff or cliff also.

I think I found Ralph Black's post and it seems to refer to the area just mentioned.

The DTS or previous busline used to have a "Bluff View" route that ran in the area. I remember seeing the buses. Maybe that busline still runs.

I've looked at the streets from Lemon Avenue east to Midway on MapQuest and GoogleEarth with out identifying a feature that I recognize as a quarry. Perhaps as you say it has been filled in. I do remember, years after we came to Dallas, reading in the paper about a youngster falling from the top. The edge was then fenced, IIRC, but I always took that to be the top of the feature visible from 183.

Would you, mrchuck, or another take a look at MapQuest and name the streets closest to the quarry? Thanks!

BTW, I had my own fun around or below Bluff View. One year there was a lot of rain and a group of us bought a bunch of old tire tubes and floated down Bachman's Creek into the lake and got out and repeated it. Not sure now how we got back to the starting point. Probably we put in some where along Cochran Chapel but it might have been further east - just don't now remember. Looking back I think we were fortunate not to get cut up by broken glass in the creek bed or caught on a snag but we did not think about that at the time.

Cochran Chapel was a wonderful place to park with a date before the houses were built, but that's another story.
February 09, 2011 08:08AM
mrchuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was reading another post where Ralph Black said
> he worked in Bluff View in the early Fifties.
> I used to go swimming at this quarry site. The
> fence had part of it down at the corner, and there
> was a trail that led down to where a rope and tire
> was hanging over the water.
> We always swam there. Wonderful water which was
> deep and stayed cool cause of it's depth.
> I wonder if it is still there?? Or did it get
> filled in?
> If it's still there, can you still drive by it?

Mrchuck If you are speaking of the point where Bluff View Rd overlooks the creek it is still there. The fence is higher and you can't go down the cliff from this point but the creek is still flowing. They have added a few spillways and there are very nice homes at the bottom north of the creek. I was by there last month and stopped to look out over the bluff. It was 1952 when I was a Manor Man in the area, Ralph

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 01:46PM by Ralph F. Black.
February 09, 2011 11:39AM
Thanks Ralph. Next time I drive into Dallas, I will drive over there and try to find it again, and see how much I remember about it.

And Thanks!
February 10, 2011 09:31AM
I contacted an old high school buddy, and asked him about this mysterious quarry full of blue water with a fence around it. Here is his reply::

You amaze me! I barely remember going to an old quarry.

Ptobably the area has been fully developed with homes, shopping centerd, etc., and we wouldn't be able to find it. If the place we visited sitt is there, we would be trespassing on the revisit.

"Developed from what had been a 215-acre dairy farm, the land that is now Bluffview is punctuated by 50-foot bluffs that run along Bachman Creek. John P. Stevens, who was also responsible for Stevens Park in Oak Cliff, bought the farm in 1924 and divided the property into one-acre parcels. The lots are distinctive for their terrain features, many of which were formed from Bachman Creek’s streams and tributaries.

Bluffview is bounded by Northwest Highway to the north, Midway to the west, Lovers Lane to the south and Briarwood to the east. Bluffview is near shopping, restaurants, hotels, and Dallas’ in-town airport, Love Field.

The area’s distinctive features and large lot sizes have attracted numerous prominent families. Many of Bluffview pioneers hired highly acclaimed architects to design their homes. Many of the original homes have been restored and refurbished and are very much in use today".
But it would be great to see that sight again
February 11, 2011 02:41AM
Well, I think have learned something here from mrchuck and from Ralph Black.

I lived in Dallas between 1942 and 1961 and was a more or less frequent visitor until my mother died in 1985 and have been back several times since. As I said I have traveled NW Hiway many times. Best I remember I was told as a child and thought until the present that “Bluff View” was the area just south of the limestone cliff visible from NW Hiway. If I get back to Dallas again I’m going to have to drive by, but my best memory was (is) that the formation in question is west of the area just defined by mrchuck and that Shorecrest Drive would be the street on the high ground above (or south of) the creek and not Watauga Road and the dead end of Bluff View Blvd as seen on MapQuest. From NW Hiway an abrupt change in elevation south of the creek was evident near Midway, but I don’t recall a visible cliff for all the trees. Perhaps Ralph Black or another can clarify can clarify. More than that I recall the big fine homes. With further reference to MapQuest it names the area above Watauga as “Bluff View.”

Along with that I have a memory of going to a party or reception in one of those big houses a lot further back than the day spent floating down the creek in tire tubes. It would have been in the early to middle fifties. I can’t recall the owner’s name although it seems they would have been great folks to remember! Probably it was some sort of church sponsored affair for young people. I do remember they had the best color TV I’d ever seen up to that point, a long time before my family owned one.

I’d still like for someone to check the map and further describe the location of that quarry though.
February 11, 2011 07:01AM
Morrow Mustang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I think have learned something here from
> mrchuck and from Ralph Black.
>
> I lived in Dallas between 1942 and 1961 and was a
> more or less frequent visitor until my mother died
> in 1985 and have been back several times since.
> As I said I have traveled NW Hiway many times.
> Best I remember I was told as a child and thought
> until the present that “Bluff View” was the
> area just south of the limestone cliff visible
> from NW Hiway. If I get back to Dallas again
> I’m going to have to drive by, but my best
> memory was (is) that the formation in question is
> west of the area just defined by mrchuck and that
> Shorecrest Drive would be the street on the high
> ground above (or south of) the creek and not
> Watauga Road and the dead end of Bluff View Blvd
> as seen on MapQuest. From NW Hiway an abrupt
> change in elevation south of the creek was evident
> near Midway, but I don’t recall a visible cliff
> for all the trees. Perhaps Ralph Black or
> another can clarify can clarify. More than that
> I recall the big fine homes. With further
> reference to MapQuest it names the area above
> Watauga as “Bluff View.”
>
> Along with that I have a memory of going to a
> party or reception in one of those big houses a
> lot further back than the day spent floating down
> the creek in tire tubes. It would have been in
> the early to middle fifties. I can’t recall the
> owner’s name although it seems they would have
> been great folks to remember! Probably it was
> some sort of church sponsored affair for young
> people. I do remember they had the best color TV
> I’d ever seen up to that point, a long time
> before my family owned one.
>
> I’d still like for someone to check the map and
> further describe the location of that quarry
> though.
When you get into the area west of Midway Road the terrain around the creek levels off. There were big homes on Shorecrest down to Lakemont Street then the city park land began. Lakemont homes were build after WW II. Some of the homes on this part of Shorecrest were built before WW II. On the north side of the creek was Lambert Landscaping Co. and if I remember correctly a stable. It was pretty well deserted during the 40s and 50s so this may have been the spot you were think of. Look it up on Google Earth.
Ralph
February 19, 2011 02:37AM
Perhaps this Quarry pit was where The Masonic Lodge is in that area. Years ago that was a quarry of some sort, and was definitely fenced in, and very deep.I also swam many a day in that area near Cochran Chapel and east on up to the Bluff. There at one time was part of a dam that was broken out on the south side but still held very nice quantity of water for swimming. Remember being in some of those homes back then from my days at Sudie Williams Elementary in 1954 to 1956. One was Charles Troyer I believe and his dad was an executive for Sears Roebuck in those days.The creek along that area was very clean in those days, I don't think I would swim there today...........Also remember Tom Braniff's Home was east of there and we used to ride our bikes over and ride them down his beautiful front manicured yard. We always thought he would chase us off but one day he saw us and was very happy at the fun we were haveing... I wonder if he would have liked to join us?
February 19, 2011 02:45AM
Perhaps this Quarry pit was where The Masonic Lodge is in that area. Years ago that was a quarry of some sort, and was definitely fenced in, and very deep.I also swam many a day in that area near Cochran Chapel and east on up to the Bluff. There at one time was part of a dam that was broken out on the south side but still held very nice quantity of water for swimming. Remember being in some of those homes back then from my days at Sudie Williams Elementary in 1954 to 1956. One was Charles Troyer I believe and his dad was an executive for Sears Roebuck in those days.The creek along that area was very clean in those days, I don't think I would swim there today...........Also remember Tom Braniff's Home was east of there and we used to ride our bikes over and ride them down his beautiful front manicured yard. We always thought he would chase us off but one day he saw us and was very happy at the fun we were haveing... I wonder if he would have liked to join us?
February 19, 2011 03:01AM
Around 1963-65, my buddies and I would explore Bachman Creek from the park (now called Bachman Creek Greenbelt) to Midway Rd. In particular, I recall one winter we explored that, getting muddy, wet, and cold along the way. Fun though! We never went as far as the Bluff along the creek. One time we collected a bunch of fish from the creek and poured them in our home aquarium. When the sediments settled, I think all our guppies were gone!
I do recall peering down from the top of the Bluff. We lived on nearby Pomona then. Knew a girl (Linda W.) from my school who lived at the bottom of the Bluff who later moved to the Lake Highlands area where we moved to in the summer of '65.

The neighborhood just west of Bluebonnet (Midway) and north of Lovers Lane (near that park) was interesting: a few streets of small, wood-frame houses that seemed much older than the ones to the east of Bluebonnet. I had a 5th grade teacher who lived over there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 03:08AM by Dennis H.
March 02, 2011 04:14PM
mrchuck mentions a dairy in that area and I remember a newspaper article from maybe 10 years ago describing a meticulous archive from the home of a dairyman just off of Lovers Lane (I think). Amongst other things, the story mentioned numerous times that pilot trainees from Love Field were retrieved from the pastures after crashes.
tn
March 07, 2016 07:31PM
I would like to know more about a query pit that may have been west of Bluffview Estates between Midway and Lemmon. I think it may have been near a masonic lodge on Midway Road on the north side as it slopes down to Shorecrest. This would be west and slightly north of Bluffview Estates. If it existed
it was south of Shorecrest.
I had heard there was a query that was used to bring fill into Love Field. The north parts of Love Field was used even before WW1.
Can anyone verify this?

T.N.
resident of Bluffview in Dallas Texas
March 19, 2016 10:29AM
To the Manor Man of 1952, did you know Curtis Hill and Lee Hill who were also Manor Men? They were my uncles.
tn
March 19, 2016 12:07PM
Hello dbell,

I am not familiar with the term Manor Man. I was born in 1953. Can you help me out here?

I believe the Quarry was where the Masonic lodge is. HILLCREST MASONIC LODGE NO. 1318, A.F & A.M.
8525 MIDWAY ROAD, DALLAS TX 75209

I base this information on the SMU aerial photo 1930's that shows a deforested white spot at that location on the map.

Warmly,
TN

T.N.
March 22, 2016 03:32PM
I believe you are right. My last trip into Dallas, I drove up and around that area that I used to play and visit in.
The Quarry is still in my memory bank in full color.The location you picked is it, I am sure.
The color of the water was a milky blue. Just beautiful,,and cold.
March 22, 2016 06:02PM
tn, a Manor Man was a worker who delivered bread and other baked goods to homes and businesses for the Manor Bread Company. Prior to the 1960s Manor was a major baker in Dallas and home delivery was an important part of its business. The old Manor plant was on Cedar Springs near Love Field. The plant was acquired by Bimbo, the giant Mexican baking company, and for a time produced their products, including Earth Grains. It has now been torn down.

As a child, I used to look forward to the Manor delivery at our house, and hope for a cake or sweet rolls or other treat along with the bread.

Dave McNeely
May 23, 2016 01:36PM
When I was little my mom used to tell me that my dad had to go to work to "make money so we can buy bread from the Manor Man". So I thought he like worked at the mint or something... "making money". The discussion of the "Manor Man" reminded me - hope nobody minds the digression too much. (Actually we didn't get our bread that way - mom bought it at A&P - but we had milk delivered).
May 27, 2016 08:53AM
I lived across the street from a Lee Hill in OC. His dad was a detective with the DPD and was involved in the Kennedy investigation in1963. He had a brother Lloyd who was a ner-do-well. I suspect this a different Lee Hill. Jim
tn
June 06, 2016 08:19AM

Please share any information on these Quarry Pits.

Thanks
Teann

T.N.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login