Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Porter Chevrolet?

Posted by Robert Wilonsky 
Porter Chevrolet?
November 26, 2010 08:40AM
First time caller, long time listener ...

That out of the way, I have a request: Does anyone have a 1954 Dallas directorymoody smiley Trying to fact-check an item for Unfair Park concerning the Porter Chevrolet dealership. My dad doesn't recall it, but a friend of his does -- says it was short-lived in the mid-'50s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Big fan, by the way.
Re: Porter Chevrolet?
November 26, 2010 09:48AM
Robert,
Please see an older post regarding Porter Chevrolet on Mockingbird...
Joel

[www.symmonline.com]
November 26, 2010 10:16AM
I don't have a directory but Porter Chevrolet owned by John Porter opened in December 1952 at 5526 E Mockingbird . In March 1954 Porter Chevrolet was sold to L A Parish and the name changed to Parish Chevrolet.
November 26, 2010 11:37AM
Look at this....just posted on the Dallas Observer site.

[blogs.dallasobserver.com]
November 26, 2010 01:35PM
Robert had contacted me directly by e-mail about the same time he posted here and I believe my response reached him before Joel's and Wayne's posts.

I do hope he follows up here and and includes the additional information from the May 2010 thread about the tragic death. I wonder now if that might have precipitated the sale to Parish a few months later.

M C
November 26, 2010 02:56PM
In the May 2010 thread triumphleroy posted

"I remember distinctly walking under those big legs and seeing a Bright Red 1954 Corvette in his hands. I wonder how many years that they used this Santa there? "

In the photo in the Dallas Observer posted by Cee Cee the car does not appear to be a Corvette. In the DMN photo of Mr Davis with the car and crane posted by Joel Parks the car also seems to be something other than a Corvette. Could it be the car was changed from time to time during the Christmas Season?
November 27, 2010 02:38AM
Thanks to all -- MC especially, and again, I am grateful to all. But especially to a reader and old friend, and local history obsessive, who sent me a stack of articles from 1953 detailing, from September 1953 through November, the building of Santa Claus and, in December, the tragic death of Roy Davis. How did this story disappear from local lore? That's what I wanna know.
November 27, 2010 05:22AM
Somewhere I have a photo of the big Santa with a 1954 Bel Air, which makes the likely time Christmas, 1953. If I can find it I'll post.

Mike
November 27, 2010 09:39AM
Didn't Friendly Chevrolet take over the location on Mockingbird, in 1960?
November 27, 2010 10:59AM
sharkins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't Friendly Chevrolet take over the location
> on Mockingbird, in 1960?

Steve -

From the May 2010 thread and DMN archives the Grand Opening of Friendly Chevrolet at the 5526 E Mockingbird New Car Showroom and 5440 E Mockingbird Used Car Lot was in mid March 1957. The dealership changed from Parish to Friendly in October 1956 and ads for Friendly Chevrolet at those locations first appear about December 1956.

I did not find any formal notice of the change of ownership from Parish to Friendly nor the original owner of Friendly Chevrolet. John W Witt was general sales manager in 1959 and the owner of Friendly Chevrolet when Roy Eddins acquired the dealership in 1970.

BTW Robert Wilonsky has posted at Unfair Park, "Sunday morning, read all about it."

M C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 11:11AM by M C Toyer.
November 27, 2010 04:40PM
Okay, maybe I'm thinking of when they moved to Lemmon and Inwood (Jan. 1960). My mom has a yardstick that advertises the 1958 Chevrolets, and Friendly Chevrolet.
December 01, 2010 08:55PM
Porter Chevrolet’s commitment to quality extends to a limited lifetime guarantee on workmanship. Please contact experienced professionals at the dealership for more information. Also, take advantage of Porter Chevrolet’s Parts and Service Coupons and save money while buying genuine Saturn parts or on getting a Saturn car serviced.
December 01, 2010 09:38PM
@ samuelarnold: (?).
December 02, 2010 03:46AM
He's spamming on behalf of a dealer in Newark, Delaware (I Googled the whole first sentence of his post). Weird.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login