Just shut this site down and ...
November 10, 2010 10:13AM
...then e-mail us when the new software is implemented to block the low-life spammers. May they (spammers) go to hell in a handbag--Coach brand of course. Ugg!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 02:58PM by Dennis H.
awh
Re: Just shut this site down and ...
November 10, 2010 02:29PM
LO-frickin' Loud! I think you hit that nail on the head!

I've been copying all of their posts verbatim and sending them to the Admins when I report them - But it looks like they don't seem to care.

Maybe it's time for a new non-political Dallas History forum??

Here's the e-mail addresses to bug about this directly.

÷÷-----{++}
November 10, 2010 07:17PM
Are we forgetting the archives that date back for many years? The almost 900 post by Bill Strouse who remembers OC when most of us wern't even born? The hundreds of post by Mr Harris who has passed away? Just throw all that history away because of a little inconvenience? Forwarding all the shoe/handbag garbage to the staff of DHS seems counter productive to me. I truly believe the staff is doing all they can do to correct this problem. I open and click the report button then go on about my business. Those spams don't show up as new post anymore and I can still check and see if there are new post. As far as I can see the spams have been cleaned off through Nov 6th. Someone (Toby) may be ill or anything. I for one have thought he has been doing an excellent job cleaning the crud off here.Lets have a little patience. The staff at DHS are our friends.

Wayne Pritchett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 07:24PM by Wayne Pritchett.
November 10, 2010 09:01PM
Wayne Pritchett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are we forgetting the archives that date back for
> many years? The almost 900 post by Bill Strouse
> who remembers OC when most of us wern't even born?
> The hundreds of post by Mr Harris who has passed
> away? Just throw all that history away because of
> a little inconvenience? Forwarding all the
> shoe/handbag garbage to the staff of DHS seems
> counter productive to me. I truly believe the
> staff is doing all they can do to correct this
> problem. I open and click the report button then
> go on about my business. Those spams don't show up
> as new post anymore and I can still check and see
> if there are new post. As far as I can see the
> spams have been cleaned off through Nov 6th.
> Someone (Toby) may be ill or anything. I for one
> have thought he has been doing an excellent job
> cleaning the crud off here.Lets have a little
> patience. The staff at DHS are our friends.
>
> Wayne Pritchett

I agree with you, Wayne. Tremendous amount of history here in the archives! I never click on the obvious spam postings. However, they do take up space on the site.

In my opinion, the site Administrator(s) should permit a few of the KNOWN loyal DHS contributors who view this site on almost a daily basis to serve as Moderaters for the site and give them the ability to delete the spam postings on a daily basis. Once the spammers realize their postings are quickly disappearing, they will move on.

Fred
November 10, 2010 11:17PM
I'll volunteer (to be one of the few others referred to be Fred) - I check in, but don't necessarily post, daily.

BTW, I want to go on record as saying the current administrator(s) do a great job - it's just that the volume of this stuff has obviously increased lately and if the possiblility exists that these spammers will pack up and go somewhere else if they get deleted more immediately than has been the case, I'm all for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 05:29AM by matthew stephenson.
awh
November 11, 2010 12:16AM
But their posts are not disappearing. And pretty soon they'll be part of this history too. But I send your motion on letting someone else administer it.

÷÷-----{++}
November 11, 2010 12:54AM
Which is more annoying, the spam messages or the messages complaining about the spam messages? It appears the number is about the same.
Ralph
November 11, 2010 05:27AM
Ralph F. Black Wrote:
> Which is more annoying, the spam messages or the
> messages complaining about the spam messages? It
> appears the number is about the same.
> Ralph

Ralph, I'm inclined to agree with you on that point . . . however, I agree with Wayne, too much history here, and we were very lucky to get it back the first time smiling smiley
November 11, 2010 07:05AM
Wayne, Thanks for the Nice comments.....there are many, many old posts that need to be preserved by so many folks such as M C Toyer, Greg Jaynes, our old Friend Gerald Harris, Jim Wheat, Bill Vilbig, Robert Johnston, Jim Barnes, Robert Paige, Randy Carlisle, Jerry Felts, Jim Stinson and Fred Ragsdale, just to name a few of them..........several of the Folks I just mentioned are real Historians, not just a reminiscencer like I am.......Some great Dallas Historical Data in these pages which goes back probably 11 or 12 years ago.......Bill Strouse
November 11, 2010 08:24AM
Dennis, I agree with your frustration. I just hope the admins can get around to deleting those posts. I was serious the other day about the admins "deputizing" a couple of users here so that they can delete spam posts (and spammers' accounts) without having to go to the admins. Another thing to do would be to add CAPTCHA capability to the account setup process, to keep out those who try to set up accounts using automated means. For those unfamiliar, CAPTCHA is the tool that presents you with the swirly-looking strings of letters and numbers that you have to then type in a box, in order to set up a user account or post. It's good at thwarting auto-generated accounts, because a human has to match test strings. This site only requires a username, email address, and password - easy to write into a keystroke application.

[www.captcha.net]
November 12, 2010 12:20PM
I'm advocating temporarily shutting it down until improvements are made, not dissolving it permanently and losing the archives.
December 01, 2010 02:43PM
Wow! I can't believe that people are still posting here
December 02, 2010 12:47AM
Peterk Wrote:
> Wow! I can't believe that people are still posting
> here

You did! Glad to hear from you Peterk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login