Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pleasant Grove High School and Pleasant Grove Independent School District

Posted by EtienneUS 
Pleasant Grove High School and Pleasant Grove Independent School District
October 25, 2010 07:25AM
When was Pleasant Grove High School established? Correct me if I am wrong. Where Pleasant Grove High School building was located before a new building was built on the existing location in 1957?

Another question – when Pleasant Grove Independent School District was established before this district annexed to Dallas Independent School District when? 1957 when the Pleasant Grove High School was replaced with W. W. Samuell High School?

Thanks,

STEVEN E. WANDERSCHEID
Re: Pleasant Grove High School and Pleasant Grove Independent School District
October 25, 2010 09:11AM
Steve -

There are a couple of threads on the subject several years back; the most knowledgeable would be Bob Johnson.

Bob Johnston
Re: Pleasant Grove High School
June 11, 2002 10:35AM

Pleasant Grove High closed in the Spring of 1955 and W. W. Samuell High School opened in September of 1955. PGHS, which was on the corner of Lake June and Buckner, became S. S. Conner Junior High School. It closed in 1964 and the name was shifted to a new elementary school.
The property was sold. It's adjacent to John Ireland School, which was part of the Pleasant Grove ISD. Also nearby is Pleasant Grove Stadium which was the athletic plant for PGISD and remains in use by the DISD.

The Dallas Morning News Historical Archives show that W W Samuell High School was first occupied in January 1957. There are a number of references and descriptions of the earlier Pleasant Grove High School dating back to the 1920s

My older sister attended first grade at an elementary school at Lake June and Buckner in 1949-50 but I do not know the name or if the structure was a part of the Pleasant Grove High School there. As best I can recall that school was on the east side of the fieldhouse.

Walter Schiebel's Education in Dallas places the annexation of the Pleasant Grove Independent School District as 30 June 1954. In the list of schools with principals W O Pipes is shown as the first at W W Samuell in 1957.

There seems to be a great deal of controversy preceeding the annexation and a number of failed bond issues to construct a new high school and a dispute over its location.

M C
October 26, 2010 01:22AM
Many thanks, M C.

I was trying to find out when old PGHS replaced with W. W. Samuell after I found out the alma mater song was created in 1955 by a high school teacher. I will check out the threads by Bob Johnston.

Also, I found more interesting about the controversy preceeding the annexation and a number of failed bond issues to construct a new high school and a dispute over its location.

Again, many thanks,

STEVEN E. WANDERSCHEID
October 28, 2010 01:17PM
Steven -

Did you attend PGHS or Samuell?

In reviewing Bob Johnson's comments, Darwin Payne's account PGHS History, and some other references I note there are some inconsistencies.

This is the best timeline I've found in the 20th century but may be a bit off:

1916 - a new 2 story brick Pleasant Grove School is built at the NE corner of Buckner and Lake June, facing west. Although described by the Dallas Morning News as a new high school, it probably only had intermediate / junior high students and possibly grade / elementary students as Payne said high school students attended Forest HS in Dallas and their refusal to continue to accept them led to the

1937 - creation of the Pleasant Grove Independent School District

1939 - the new S S Conner / Pleasant Grove High School is built on Lake June a block east between Conner and Pleasant Drive

1945-1948 - the gymnasium is constructed bewteen the 1916 and 1939 schools

1950 - John Qunicy Adams Elementary School opens of the east side of the 1939 school. The 1916 school continues to serve junior high students (Payne attended 8th grade there in 1950-51)

Due to overcrowding some elementary classes are held in the gymnasium and nearby churches

1953 - PGISD abolished by election and schools were temporarily closed

1954 - Pleasant Grove schools annexed by Dallas Independent School District.

1957 - W W Samuell opens and the 1939 Pleasant Grove High School building becomes S S Conner Junior High School.

1955-1964 S S Conner Junior High School is located in the 1939 school and possibly the 1916 school

1965 - a new S S Conner Elementary School opens north of I-30 and John Qunicy Adams Elementary School expands to the 1939 school.

1964 or possibly as early as 1957 or 1958 - the 1916 school and 1945 gymnasium are demolished

1966 - the present retail strip mall is built on the lot which contained the 1916 school and 1945 gymnasium

==========

I was a preschooler when I lived in Pleasant Grove about 1948-50 but visited several times in later years. I recall the 1945 gymnasium and 1939 school but not the 1916 school. When living there I do recall the Big World Store on the SW corner of Buckner and Lake June and the airfield on the NW corner which was replaced by the shopping center and homes in the early 1950s.

M C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login