Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

William Worthington Samuell

Posted by EtienneUS 
William Worthington Samuell
October 21, 2010 08:32AM
Do any of you happen to have a picture of William Worthington Samuell in his later life, which a school building in Pleasant Grove was named as W. W. Samuell High School?

William Worthington Samuell was born Jan. 13, 1878, to Caption. Hazael O. and Sallie Worthington Samuell, in Georgetown, Ky. When he was a year old, his parents moved to Dallas County and settled in the vicinity of New Hope where Sunnyvale is located now. He attended the schools in Georgetown, KY and Dallas. He attended the University of Texas and took his medical degree from Tulane University. He studied in Europe for two years. When he returned to the United States, he lived in Mississippi The following year, he came to Dallas and began practicing here. When the United States entered World War I, he served as a captain in the medical corps stationed at Camp Travis in South Texas.

He was a skilled surgeon, and his colleagues estimated he had performed more operations than any other surgeon in the country.

Modest and self-effacing, he refused to become entangled in politics of professional groups, and for that reason, refused to consider holding any office in medical societies.

Dr. W. W. Samuell, 59 suffered a sudden heart attack on Sunday morning and died at St. Paul’s Hospital on December 12, 1937. He was considered one of the country's foremost surgeons. He was a member of the staff of the Methodist Hospital, Baylor Hospital and St. Paul's Hospital, where he died.

Before his death, Samuell donated millions of dollars to the City of Dallas Parks and Recreation Department. There are now at least six institutions named after Dr. Samuell in the Dallas area.

Dr. W. W. Samuell purchased the first ambulance for the City of Dallas in 1911.

Why I am doing this because W. W. Samuell High was my alma mater. Go Spartans.

SOURCE: DallasPioneer.org and Wikipeadia.org

STEVEN E. WANDERSCHEID

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 08:35AM by EtienneUS.
Re: William Worthington Samuell
October 21, 2010 10:18AM
All I could find was this one:

[www.google.com]
October 22, 2010 01:54AM
It is what I found on the search engine. I was hoping someone will be able to find W. W. Samuell's photo in his later life.

Based the photo you found, was it 1890's?

Many thanks for your efforts,

STEVEN E. WANDERSCHEID

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 04:50AM by EtienneUS.
MWT
October 22, 2010 05:48AM
Another bit of info about Dr.Samuell..December 1911 a meningitis epidemic was sweeping thru Dallas.Public transportation was cancelled and more then 2 people could not gather in a group,burials had to take place in 24 hours etc.My GUncle caught it and died in 2 days.They were living near California Crossing at the time.

Well,Dr Samuells went to New York and rushed back to Dallas with a vaccine and is credited with halting the epidemic and saving many lives.
October 22, 2010 06:31AM
Here is another

[infoweb.newsbank.com]

October 22, 2010 09:23AM
EtienneUS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is what I found on the search engine. I was
> hoping someone will be able to find W. W.
> Samuell's photo in his later life.
>
> Based the photo you found, was it 1890's?
>
> Many thanks for your efforts,
>
> STEVEN E. WANDERSCHEID

Don't know the date. That photo was published in D Magazine. If you contact their staff, they can probably tell you if they have a date for that photo.
December 01, 2010 09:01PM
Another one:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 09:05PM by samuelarnold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login