Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fuller Brush man, the Pony Man, and other door-to-door salesmen

Posted by Dennis H 
Re: Fuller Brush man and the Pony Man
February 08, 2011 04:43AM
dear mustang i enjoyed your long post under the thread of the fuller brush, and pony man i also lived around the south end of love field but not in highland park, you once chastised a post i made about remembering dunlap swains gas stations saying it did not pertain to the thread but some threads remind you of your past and it is hard not to talk about things you remember i wont be so rude to chastise your post that got away from you, bringing back good memories, instead i will thank you for the intrestring post i also remember the black owned bbq place in the thicket it was daves bbq

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2011 04:50AM by rojinks.
February 08, 2011 02:10PM
I was raised in Highland Park.
Armstrong Elementary, HPJHS, HPHS, graduated June 1956.
Yes, the stadium had a "scottie" dog on it. The mascot.
Known as the HP Scotties. The h
Highlander was the name of our yearbook, which I still have, and use it for reference periodically.
Later years, the Highlander became the logo.
I still attend the annual September class and school luncheon. Super alumni organization ramrodded by Jennie Scroggins.
Great school and education, and great memories of classmates.
Lots of changes over the years.
But I still see all as it was way back then, but with a modern times "overlay", of all the changes, in 55 years.
February 08, 2011 02:58PM
Ah rojinks, if you are not chastising me you certainly got your point across! I went back and looked at what I think was the only thread involving Dunlap Swain and found I had asked a question about Chape Chapin who I did not and still do not recall. I did remember the post by mrchuck about changing batteries in Buicks. No rudeness was intended, or maybe there was another thread the search engine did not find for me. I would agree that the post about PCBC might well have been in a new thread but that was one of the places my thoughts took me after recalling the door to door salesmen in my neighborhood. And for the record I lived in University Park and not Highland Park although they were lumped together.

Funny the way memory works or fails. I recall the name Dunlap Swain and now even conjure up a mental picture of one (perhaps because of the links given previously), but really no locations although I am sure from the previous posts I went by one or another of them fairly often.
February 09, 2011 01:18AM
There is still a Dunlap Swain downtown on Ross and Routh BUT thats something for another thread... winking smiley
February 09, 2011 03:19AM
mustang i tried to get my point across in the nicest way i could i enjoy most posting about dallas history even if they stray alittle from the original post on the phroum anyhow i enjoyed your post and i am a little weak on hp and up history not even sure where they seperate if i seemed a little abrasive my sincere apologies
February 09, 2011 06:13AM
Rojinks, I was mostly kidding. No real offense taken. No apology necessary. You and I are much the same in that we enjoy reading about Dallas history, although in my case I have not been fortunate enough to live anywhere near for a long time.
February 09, 2011 12:02PM
In the early 50s we had either an ice man, Borden's Milk man, Manor Bread man, a "forking" man, veggie peddlers, the Stanley Products man, Wally of Hollywood, Jewell Tea man, Lighthouse For The Blind, Fuller Brush man, a guy trying to sell accordian lessons, vacuum cleaner salesmen, encyclopedia salesmen, siding salesmen, Mormons, Baptists, Jehova's Witnesses and the Dallas Morning News paper boy collecting, coming to our door on an almost daily basis.grinning smiley
February 09, 2011 01:55PM
you lost me on the forking thing explain please?
February 09, 2011 04:55PM
The "Forking Man" as he called himself, was an African American gentleman who would come through the neighborhood every spring and for a certain amount of money, would dig a portion of your back yard up with a pitchfork (hence "forking man"winking smiley so it could be used for a vegetable garden. He seemed to do pretty well at it as many gardens as there always were in the neighborhood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 04:57PM by Mr. Freeze.
February 09, 2011 11:05PM
I was thinking it was three guys who would come around the neighborhood and sing opera while "forking" your flower bed.
You know: The Three Tenedors.
February 10, 2011 02:37AM
and my dad had a garden every year mr freeze thank yoiu so much for your answer i would have never thought about that i am from tn originally and my dad had a garden every year did his own forking.
February 10, 2011 06:03AM
We live on a farm in KY and have a garden every year, however, no forking for me either. I do it all with the trusty old John Deere.and a tiller.winking smiley
February 10, 2011 11:40PM
The first thing I thought of when you mentioned "Forking Man" was a guy who came around using a wooden y looking branch to find water.....actually remember someone who did this in Southern Indiana (do not know if he ever found any wells) when I lived on my Grandmothers Farm in Scott County.......now then, what is "Wally of Hollywood", never heard that one.........Bill Strouse
February 11, 2011 01:22AM
Wally of Hollywood was/is a franchise photograph company who employed several methods of selling family portraits. Some had studios that you went to in shopping centers while others, in the 50s, used the door to door method and set up their equipment right in your home to do the shoot on the spot. I think they still offer services in studios and pretty sure I've seen them in some Wal Mart stores.
February 11, 2011 03:47AM
Perhaps I'll be taken to task for going off topic again but I'll talk a little more about Highland Park and University Park. They are considered as one and the same but that is not quite so. They started at different times for different reasons.

Anyone interested you might check the WIKI articles . Briefly Highland Park was founded by out of town developers building an upscale community and at the outset Dallas turned down their request for utilities and services because it was too far out in the country. I suppose that dallas was thinking in terms of an east - west axis in those days. Funny how the thinking of Park Cities Baptist Church people that I mentioned above much later echoed that attitude. (As an aside, I’ll mention I have an autobiography by one of my father’s uncles, a West Pointer and career soldier. Late in life he related how one of his nephews in Dallas sold him some property near a creek “filled with turtles” and “close to a country club” in North Dallas. That area had to what is now Highland Park or nearby. That was long before I was born, much less before my parents were in Dallas. I never met any of those folks. I do wonder just where the property was located.) University Park started later to for SMU people and when the University could no longer furnish services for a growing town they applied first to Highland Park and then Dallas for services and were turned down each time. Many years later Dallas wanted to take over both towns but the Park Cities residents by then realized that would not be to their advantage. Then the Dallas response was to annex a lot of what is now North Dallas so that neither HP or UP could grow. That was in 1945. I don't really think that Dallas offered much in the way of services to that area for a long time, but maybe we will hear from someone who was resident in Preston Hollow in that time frame or Vickery when it was annexed.

I suppose everyone has read or at least heard of fiction with a setting of alternate history. It is interesting to think a little about the "might have beens" had areas north of NW Hiway been annexed into Park Cities rather than Dallas. One issue, would they have built one or more additional high schools? That is would there have been a HP - North and / or a HP NW? Or would the existing school have been enlarged and (likely) on a new campus? If the latter, would the much larger school have been like Plano with its killer football teams before the high schools there were divided? Of course that did not happen. Park Cities has been limited to its present size for more than 65 years and the population supports one high school although a few kids in my day (and later) were (are) sent to Hockaday, Jesuit, St. Marks and so on.

Another "what if" might be asked about the Park Cities Baptist Church I've posted about. I suppose it would be judged one of the wealthiest Baptist churches in Dallas today and perhaps among the most influential. At the time it was founded it was the only Baptist congregation in Park Cities, and may still be, I don't know. How would that have changed if Park Cities had encompassed a much larger area?
February 11, 2011 02:01PM
Did either city have door to door forking men?tongue sticking out smiley
February 11, 2011 04:48PM
Mr. Freeze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did either city have door to door forking men?tongue sticking out smiley

I really can't speak about Highland Park at all, but think residents were (are?) perhaps more likely than those in University Park to have had live-in servants including possibly yardmen and gardeners. There was not anyone like that around us. Later, especially when there was a city bus line that came near I know that some families had maids, propbably one day a week generally. I remember talk about their compensation including "carfare." I have the haziest notions of someone coming through on a mule drawn wagon and offering to do yardwork but those thoughts may have been induced by other stories posted on this message board. The very descriptive "forking man" term was new to me. I think I mentioned that my mother had a "Victory Garden" one year during World War II but don't remember if someone plowed that or if she spaded it all up herself. My mother did grow up in a small country town in Oklahoma and had the example of her mother annually growng a very large garden which she weeded and tended herself. Grandmother canned the vegetables and made enough potatoes to put a lot of food on the table for her family during the winter.

I should add that, over the years, I was in three homes in Unversity Park that had features which were likely intended as servants quarters, although not used that way when I was young. One was the house next to my parents with a detached garage having a small room and bath. It was either for servants ori n-laws I guess and was, like my parents home, finished just after World War II started for our country. The last people I remember living there had two children including a son my age. All of those houses had two bedrooms and one bath. Anyway, the son slept in the room attached to the garage and his sister in the house. I thought that was pretty neat, having a private apartment so to speak as a teenager. I don't remember how that apartment was heated but probably cooling was more of a problem. I remember a similar arrangement in a residence closer to SMU. My Cub scout Den met in the room thqat was part of a garge and that place was probably ten years or more older than the house where I lived. Closer still to SMU was a house with an apartment over the garage which was rented to students in my day,

Going back to the idea of gardening or anything like that, there are accounts on this message board from people who spent summer vacations on a family farm or who grew up in the country and of course participated in that work. I read those accounts with interest but never really participated in that myself although I was a frequent visitor and often watched a chicken prepared for a meal and then helped eat it just a few hours after it was running around outside. My grandfather grew out a hog for the last time when I was young and I watched the slaughtering and butchering of that animal, kind of an unusual experience for a city boy even sixty - sixty-five years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 02:02AM by Morrow Mustang.
February 12, 2011 03:37AM
In the spring of 1959, the year I turned 14, my mother found an ad for a boy to assist the Fuller Brush Man in Jim White’s weekly newsletter. That was a grocery store on Garland Road west of Buckner and east of Lakeland on the south side of the street. The man’s name was Evans and he lived ten doors down from me on Cloister. I visited with him and got the job.

This entailed going a day ahead of him knocking on doors and either speaking with whoever answered or leaving a catalogue on the door. If someone was home I was to attempt to find a time when it would be possible for Mr. Evans to drop by. I also would leave samples and catalogues with them. I usually set three or four appointments for him and spread the word that he would be in the neighborhood.

We covered his territory about three times in the same time he did it alone once. He sold about twice as much as he had previously. Fuller Brush was thrilled with this pilot program. They envisioned doubling their sales all over Dallas. They went out and hired a legion of teens to do this and the program promptly fell on its face. Most of the other boys would toss the stuff down the sewer drains and tell the man that nobody was at home and collect their wages.

I made enough money by the summer to buy a 1948 Cushman 3 horse scooter on which I got numerous tickets even before I was old enough to have a license. I quit when school started in September. I enjoyed the job which gave me a foundation of ethics in doing hard work.

Thanks

JRC
February 12, 2011 05:39AM
mustank you for your most intresting and informative post about highland park and university parki like dallas history including the park cities thanks again

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 05:59AM by rojinks.
February 12, 2011 05:55AM
itcdecisions mr jack evans the former president of tom thumb/cullum companies and mayor of dallas, his father had stores around dallas called evans foodmarts that mr evans took over after his fathers death and was well prepared in the grocery business he rose to a high position in the kroger company before the cullum brothers hired him to run tom thumb, which was the best super market in dallas fom the sixtys to the nintys ,then sold to randalls, out of houston now belongs to safeway, i really miss tom thumb if you wanted somethin hard to find for a recepie tom thumb/simon david had it this post was about mr jack evans and the impact he had on dallas, runing cullum companies and becoming mayor .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 06:01AM by rojinks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login