Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Richardson Square Mall

Posted by jacobr 
Richardson Square Mall
June 20, 2010 04:29PM
Does anyone have any info on the Richardson Square Mall located at 201 S. Plano Rd in Richardson?
I know it was built in the 1970s (when Sears was the place to shop!), does anyone know the exact year the mall was built? I know that a large portion of it was torn down a few years ago to make way for new development (Lowe's and Target) after the mall itself grew out of style, this of course was caused by the Firewheel development in North Garland. I sure hope this place makes it I remember going here before Firewheel was built and enjoying the food court as well as the Barnes & Nobel, it was great and it served the city of Richardson and the surrounding cities well over the years ( we came from Garland to go to this mall !).

Thanks for your help,
JH
Re: Richardson Square Mall
June 21, 2010 05:10PM
Don't know when it was built, but we shopped there well before 1984 when we moved into that neighborhood. Wikipedia says 1977.

I don't agree that its demise was caused by Firewheel... it was maybe inevitable but the place was a ghost town long before Firewheel. I never could figure out why the Sears store didn't move to Firewheel when it had the chance.
rs
June 21, 2010 05:35PM
I remember the mall under construction when I moved away from the area in late 1976. My work returned me to Garland in 1995 when I finally visited the mall. I liked the place. It beat the hell out of Town East for convenience and civility. In 1999 I did most of my Christmas shopping in Richardson Square Mall---got a great robe for my girlfriend---on sale at Fredricks. In the summer of 2006, seeing the last of the ninth inning i walked through the ghost town with my digital camera, snapping photos of the still clean and shining retail corpse. At that time only Burlington and a few other retailers remained. I'm basically a shy person and wouldn't consider photographing strangers, but that was no concern during my final exploration. The gleaming walkway was vacant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2010 05:53PM by rs.
June 22, 2010 04:21AM
6/22/010

I have done some more research concerning the history of Richardson Square Mall and have come up with these answers. Sears was a single store before the mall itself was built (like it is now), I have read (on another forum) one person remembers it being there as far back as 1973. I have checked DCAD which lists Sears as being built in 1974 with the auto service being built a year later in 1975. So we can safely say that Sears was a stand alone store at this spot before the mall was even thought of and there was very little out there at this location (Plano & Beltline) at this time anyway. Sears was important for the neighborhood and its growth during this time, as it was one of the most popular department stores of the 70s. As for the mall itself that was was built starting in late 1976 (as the post before said) and it opened the following year.

Thanks for your interest,
JH
November 26, 2011 05:28AM
I lived very near the Richardson Square Mall. Long before it was built, there was a driving range called Joe Brannon Fairways, it was at the SE corner of Plano Road and Beltline Road. Across Plano Road on the SW corner was a vegetable stand which wasn't there very long before the developers came in. They developed west of Plano road first then headed east into Garland. My family move me and my siblings away from Dallas in the summer of 1972.

I do recall a very memorable trip I took back to Dallas after I moved away. It was the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in high school so that would have been August of 1974 and the mall was open for business. I bought a pair of patent leather shoes with the felt tops, very stylish back then. As I recall the mall had not started construction when we left Dallas, so that would put it's start date circa 1973.
December 02, 2014 11:48AM
I worked at the Western Auto Service center in the strip center next to the mall in 76 -77. Graduated high school in 77 and the mall had been there a few years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login