Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thomas jefferson high school

Posted by rojinks 
Re: thomas jefferson high school
August 01, 2016 08:16AM
Class of '62. I started there in the 8th grade in '58. 8-12 were held at TJ while Cary was being built. We moved to Cary in Jan, '59.
August 03, 2016 10:01AM
I had two roommates at UNT in the 60's who graduated from TJ(61-62?) Max Gilley and Mike Curtis. Jim
August 03, 2016 12:55PM
I graduated from WTW in '67. Started at Walnut Hill in '55, transfered to Withers then Marsh. The playground at Walnut HIll was a 21st century parent's nightmare. I think the jungle gym was the newest piece of equipment there and a week didn't pass but that a daredevil boy or two fell off the top and knocked out his breath. Some of my favorite teachers were there: Miss Clarke, Miss Mary Herring, and Mrs. LaHommedieu who taught us diagramming like it was just another word game.
I was in concert choir at WTW. Our director was Annalee Huffaker from TJ. That was one of the advantages of having a school named after a sitting superintendant. I feel very fortunate to have been in her choir and musicals (Kismet and The Music Man). She taught much more than music. She taught life well lived.
August 09, 2016 09:38PM
rs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't attend school at TJ, but had friends who
> were Rebels. Does anyone remember the designated
> smoking area outside, back in '73 and '74? Yes,
> Virginia, once-apon-a time a student could take a
> Marlboro break in high school.

The way I remember the smoking areas on DISD school grounds is not that they were designated in any sort of official way, but that they were ignored by authorities. Smoking was officially not allowed at school, but took place in rest rooms and at the smoking areas without interference, at least at J.L. Long Jr. High and J.F. Kimball High, the two secondary campuses where I had experience as a student. I taught at South Oak Cliff High School in the late sixties, and the situation there was similar.

I found the fact that teachers smoked like a tugboat in their "lounge" at all three schools though students were supposedly not allowed to do so interesting. I smoked when I was a jr. hi student at Long, which included a poor area of old East Dallas within its attendance district, along with the more affluent Lakewood area. I stopped smoking when I attended Kimball, where so far as I could tell, though there was a mix of low income and upper middle income students like at Long, fewer students smoked.

Also interesting was that there didn't seem to be a "smoking area" for girls, only one for boys. But some girls smoked, of course.

Dave McNeely
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login