Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kidd Springs

Posted by Dennis H 
Re: Kidd Springs
May 16, 2018 01:41PM

Kidd Springs new rill being built. The city says it can make the spring flow again. We shall see.
May 17, 2018 07:20AM
At 76yo my memory is dim. As a kid living in Oak Cliff, I patronized 2 swimming pools. One was west of Hampton Rd. and the other was near Colorado Blvd to the east. I think Kidd Springs was the one nearest me to the west. I lived right behind Sunset High. Jim
May 17, 2018 12:16PM
Kidd Springs was about 1 block East of Tyler St and about 1 block North of Canty St
Lake Cliff pool was actually on Colorado, directly South across from Cliff Towers
And maybe Weiss Park West of Hampton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 12:27PM by Frank.
May 17, 2018 07:10PM
Ben, some time back you and others explored for the spring location, and you reported (as I recall) that you did not find any definite flow or old, non-flowing spring caverns. Is that correct? Or did you find evidence of previous flow, but off the park property? I believe that though you reported not finding flow, you also believed that the original spring was upstream from the park after the exploration. What convinced the city that the spring was on park property?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Dave McNeely
May 19, 2018 12:58AM
IIRC water was entering the pond from somewhere - possibly a source other than the spring. Because water flowed over the spillway and down into the creek below as late as '59-'60. Below is a link with info about relocating the spring.

[oakcliff.advocatemag.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 01:08AM by Frank.
May 22, 2018 08:42AM
I will be rather surprised if the spring still flows. Shocked actually.
May 22, 2018 04:17PM
Ben S. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will be rather surprised if the spring still
> flows. Shocked actually.

The spring has been long dormant. However, it is difficult to know all the reasons. The recharge is almost certainly local, in the W Oak Cliff area, upstream along Coombs Creek. Coombs Creek was flowing strongly in the area of the Stephens Park Golf Course the last I knew, several years ago.

Urban springs are sometimes recharged by lawn watering, and often by reservoirs in upstream locations. However, I am not aware of any reservoirs upstream on Coombs Creek, and a good deal of the urban runoff in the upstream area is diverted by storm drains.

Dave McNeely
May 22, 2018 09:58PM
Ben and Dave

From the link I supplied above, it seems to be pretty much a done deal.

June 9, 2017

"And now uncapping the original spring and creating a stone water rill are on on the agenda. In the 1870s, the spring was described as “gushing from the side of a hill.” But it was capped with cement sometime in the 20th Century and lost for awhile.

But the city’s Park and Recreation Department found the source of the spring in a hillside near the swimming pool. It flows through a pipe and into the pond.

Plans for daylighting the spring call for removing the pipe and allowing water to flow from the spring into the pond via a rill.

The park department will bring those plans to a public meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 15 at the Kidd Springs Recreation Center."
May 23, 2018 08:37AM
I know City Hall is saying they found the spring. I would be shocked if it actually flows. Stay tuned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login