Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woozie Soft Drinks

Posted by JohnD 
Woozie Soft Drinks
May 28, 2010 04:53PM
I was over at some friends house last night and the subject of old soft drinks came up.

No one there remembered Woozie but me, I would like to find an old bottle or some history.
Re: Woozie Soft Drinks
May 28, 2010 11:52PM
Been a long time since I have seen a Woosie's....................Mr. Neal's Grocery on Hampton Rd. use to sell them, had them in a cooler full of ice......Bill Strouse
May 29, 2010 02:32AM
Here is a place that might have what you are looking for in soft drinks. But beware they are not cheap

The Soda Gallery - 408 North Bishop Avenue, Dallas, TX 75208,(214) 946-SODA -- This place has hundreds of bottled soft drinks from around the world -- who knew there were so many kinds of Root Beer? They've got "real" Dr. Pepper, Green River, and many more...

4514 Travis St, Dallas, TX Zip Code75205. Click for Phone (214) 528-9463 ... Carbonated cola – pop, soft drinks or soda depending on your location – is a tasty treat. ...

Also look at this link

[www.symmonline.com]

Ralph

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 02:43AM by Ralph F. Black.
May 29, 2010 05:57AM
Politely, the correct spelling is Woosie. It was distributed in Dallas by Pepsi (in 1960) and reportedly produced locally by the Real Juice Bottling Company. More info.

The Real Juice Co was primarily an alcoholic beverage distributor, including Blatz and Schlitz Beer. Their location (in the 50s) was at 2400 K St very near I-45 and Good Lattimer. The company goes back to at least the 30s in Dallas.

My favorite was a bottle of Dr Pepper with a bag of peanuts thrown in. Getting those peanuts in the bottle was challenging when riding my bike, but possible, most of the time...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 06:22AM by Joel Parks.
May 29, 2010 06:47AM
"Getting those peanuts in the bottle was challenging when riding my bike..." Open the bag first. Easier.

Only time I remember Blatz beer is when a guy came roaring out of a parking lot onto Garland Rd. in Casa Linda and hit our brand-new '67 station wagon head-on as we sat at the stop light. He was in an old, old Chevy and his trunk latch must not have worked real well, because his trunk lid flew open and a case of Blatz somehow ejected itself out of the trunk, over the lid and roof of his car, and smashed into our windshield. Broken glass bottles and beer everywhere, but windshield held. The collision only dented the chrome trim strip on the top of our grille but demolished the whole front end of his car - since then, I've always been glad "they don't build 'em like they used to."

Cool link, Joel - thanks. I think I actually remember Red Rock Cola - I wonder if that could actually be - I date back to 1954.
May 30, 2010 01:25AM
I remember the ole Milwaukee Beer "Blatz" well, drank it some when I lived in Indiana.................many years ago you could get a case of Blatz at most of the local Package Stores pretty cheap.........it was not too bad of a beer, better than most of the other cheap rotguts........pretty sure Pabst bought them out, probably back in the 1960s but think they kept their label..........Bill Strouse
June 04, 2010 03:54PM
woosies were made in ft worth, in dallas the pepsi cola plant bottled them and delivered them to the grocery stores they were all flavors woosie grape, woosie orange woosie cream soda and woosie root beer if you gogle woosie the whole story is revealed about the start of them in ft worth i used to rack the bottles at a minyards in the late fifties and you could mix the pepsi and woosie bottles in the same case because the pepsi truck delivered them have not had one since the late fifties they were the best flavors i ever drank the soda saloon in oak cliff on north bishop street has a lot of old drinks but no woosies but well worth going to
June 06, 2010 12:52AM
Right after WW II there was a very large building on Cedar Springs in Love Field Complex that had been sitting for years apparently un-used. As kids we played in the grass field around it for years. One day we ventured underneath the building and found a gold mine full of soft drink bottles inside. They were for the most part Woosies. We sold some for $.02 apiece and for $.09 bought a package of Bugler Cigarette tobacco with the papers on the front of the package and rolled us some smokes. Went back under that old building to smoke them, was very cool under there. Thankfully I never got to liking smokes, but got very sick instead.....
June 06, 2010 02:17AM
I always was a fan of Grapette.
June 14, 2017 04:54PM
Did you find out about Woozie? I believe it was created by Glazier family from Dallas. They are liquor distributors.
June 14, 2017 08:19PM
Bloom's Candy and Soda Pop Shop
1106 W. Main Street
Carrollton, TX 75006

[www.candycarrollton.com]

Elliot's Hardware in Plano has a few old time soft drinks. I tried a Moxie and didn't care for it.
June 15, 2017 11:56AM
...Louis’ operation in Dallas, Real Juice Bottling Works, eventually evolved from soft drinks to liquor. One of their soda brands was Woosie, a root beer named for Louis’ grandson Robert Samuel Glazer whose nickname was Woozie.

[www.fohbc.org] or http://www.fohbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/UncleJoBottling.pdf
And a picture: [i.ebayimg.com]

Joel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2017 12:36PM by Joel Parks.
June 15, 2017 09:55PM
ratfink23T Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bloom's Candy and Soda Pop Shop
> 1106 W. Main Street
> Carrollton, TX 75006
> 972.416.5230
>
> [www.candycarrollton.com]
>
> Elliot's Hardware in Plano has a few old time soft
> drinks. I tried a Moxie and didn't care for it.

I looked at Blooms web site. It lists quite a few drinks. Some that it doesn't have that I was interested in finding out about are: Upper 10, Chocolate Soldier, the original Orange Crush which contained orange juice and pulp, and was in a dark brown bottle, Big Red, Barg's Root Beer (and other flavors, grape is listed in the "Graveyard"winking smiley, Nesbit (various flavors). The site does list Orange Crush, but the newer version in the clear bottle without the juice and pulp.

Upper 10 and Chocolate Soldier are included in a long list called the Grave Yard for drinks no longer available.

Dave McNeely
June 24, 2017 08:49AM
My Dad's print shop had one of those old chest type soda pop coolers. You lifted the lid and slid your choice of pop along the metal grooves (bad choice of words. can't think of a better one at the moment) to get it out. It was full of Nehi and Grapette and Big Red. My Mom was a Dr. Pepper fan, but she also loved Pepsi, so we saw that in the fridge sometimes. Sodas were not an everyday thing at our house. When I was in high school one of the local bottlers (maybe DP) tried marketing something called Pommac, which I think was supposed to be sort of a non-alcoholic sparkling cider. My friends and I used to raid our parents stemware to drink it from wine glasses. We were soooo sophisticated.

Victoria Snyder Alvey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2017 08:50AM by northdallasgirl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login