Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dallas University/Jesuit High School

Posted by Mac 
Mac
Dallas University/Jesuit High School
March 26, 2010 02:16PM
Does anyone have any memories or info about this building? It was on Oaklawn Ave. I was only aware of it because an episode of Route 66 used it as a filming location in 1962(Kiss the Maiden All Forlorn). I know it was torn down within a year of filming.

thanks in advance,

mac

[www.flickr.com]

[www.ohio66.com]

[redoakkid.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 02:55PM by Mac.
Re: Dallas University/Jesuit High School
March 26, 2010 02:58PM
Mac I remember Jesuit High School. It was located on the corner of Oak Lawn and Blackburn, It covered the whole block. Many of the Catholic boys in north Dallas went to Jesuit. I lived on Irving Ave., a half block away. in 1952 when my daughter was born,
Urseline Acadamy for Catholic girls was located on Haskell between Bryan and Live Oak. It also was a big impressive building and covered the whole block. There was also a residence for Nuns on the grounds

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 03:04PM by Ralph F. Black.
March 27, 2010 12:26AM
Mac -

Peter Kurilecz attended Jesuit High School (present campus) and you can contact him with a post to his froum: DallasHistory@yahoogroups.com

Here's another photo and brief history from his book and a ca 1990 view of the site:

(Copyright - Peter Kurilecz and Andy Reisberg)
(Photo credit: ca 1925 Dallas Public Library, ca 1990 Andy Reisberg)
------------------------------

Peter A Kurilecz (historian) and Andy Reisberg (photographer), Dallas Then and Now. Dallas: Friends of the Dallas Public Library (1991)

If you ever come across a copy of this now hard to find book I recommend it highly over the 2001 Ken Fitzgerald book with the same title. Peter was once a regular on this forum. He was formerly the photo archivist for the Dallas Public Library.

This "University of Dallas" was not affiliated in any way with the present school in Irving.

M C
April 02, 2010 01:22AM
MCToyer wrote "Peter Kurilecz attended Jesuit High School (present campus)"

BZZZZZ wrong answer. Peter Kurilecz never attended Jesuit. He is a member of the first graduating class from Cistercian Preparatory School.

cool smiley
April 02, 2010 02:37AM
Peter is saved then! I was worried there.

Dennis H.
BL HS '71
April 02, 2010 04:20AM
Amen, Dennis H!
BL HS '72
April 02, 2010 02:56PM
Wow, I guess I should have realized there's a strong rivalry between Jesuit and Bishop Lynch. Cistercian does have a very cool abbey, built of out rough limestone blocks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login