Research Suggestions
October 01, 2009 09:07PM
I have to do a historical research project for the first time for grad school, and it has to revolve around photographs. Any suggestions of Dallas or Texas topics? Any collections of photographs in area archives/libraries that might spur ideas?
Re: Research Suggestions
October 02, 2009 05:16AM
Go to the Downtown Dallas Public Library
October 02, 2009 02:52PM
I already knew about the DPL collection (I should have put that in the first message). What I'm looking for are suggestions on topics and perhaps lesser known archives.

Thanks
October 02, 2009 07:21PM
I assume that what you are looking for is guidance toward a subject, e.g. bridges, or a place, e.g. Fair Park to begin to search out historic photos on that place or subject. The possibilities are numerous, but to get you started, the SMU Library has a collection of photographs known as the DeGroyler Collection (check me on my spelling) that has as a focus railroad subjects, many of them with a Dallas focus and dating before the mid 20th century.

I can think of many interesting threads for this kind of research, for example, photos from the late 40s of the construction of North Central Expressway-- buildings removed, RR grades altered, public ceremonies for ground breaking and completion. Those resources have got to be pretty easily uncovered via the internet or the DPL or........well, ferreting out the sources is what grad school research is all about.

Good luck.
October 02, 2009 07:47PM
Someone should look at the photographs of Robert Yarnall Richie. He was a local industrial photographer with big name clients and publication credits in Life and Fortune. His collection is included in the SMU DeGolyer Library holdings.
His son is a local cinemotographer specializing in documentaries. He would be a primary source to interview about his father's photos and career.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login