Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stringtown

Posted by curtis flatt 
Stringtown
August 10, 2009 11:18AM
Anyone know where old Stringtown was located ? Stringtown was a black village somewhere in North
Dallas County-i.e. North Dallas. The main surname there was a family named STELLAR. The article I
read talked about STELL SWITCH. Therefore I think there might have been a railroad about..

Any ideas ?
Re: Stringtown
August 11, 2009 07:53AM
This web site called "Southern Spaces" suggests that Stringtown was somewhere around Central Expressway.
[tinyurl.com]
August 11, 2009 08:31PM
Man, the DMN archives are full of Stringtown stories that read like bad episodes of Jerry Springer. A few of the articles are downright funny. Some are downright racist but make for a more colorful read. They were written in the 1880s-90s before other forms of entertainment were really around.

Some of the articles speak of "Gas Hill". Where was that?

Stringtown sounded like a place one would not want to get caught in after dark.
August 11, 2009 10:59PM
Curtis, I don't know if these 10 items provide definition of the exact location of Stringtown, as I haven't read them all.

They are from Jim Wheat's "Dallas County Archives" site, which hasn't been updated since 2006.

[search.freefind.com]

....I really miss Jim's frequent updates on his site, but am glad that the site is still there. Wish he would come back to the folks here, as he's been missing for a couple of years.
October 06, 2009 03:55PM
The implication is that Gas Hill was located very near our current West End, as the Dallas City Gas Light Company.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login