Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot Links

Posted by Sonya 
Re: Hot Links
June 03, 2014 02:40PM
All of Sprouts market made sausage is very lean. I use their chorizo to make tacos. there is almost no fat to drain.

Dave Lewis
June 03, 2014 06:46PM
Sausage needs fat, at least I think it does.
June 04, 2014 12:56PM
BillB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sausage needs fat, at least I think it does.

Well, without some fat it wouldn't be sausage. But chorizo and hot links go well beyond reason.

I buy Owens Lite Breakfast Sausage. It has such a low fat content that when my wife cooks it, she lightly wipes the pan with canola oil because she doesn't like it to stick. In our good, well seasoned cast iron skillets, the slight stick is easily wiped out with a little cold water and a cloth when the pan is hot, and I do not use the canola oil when I cook the sausage.

When I was a small child, my family made breakfast sausage from the hogs we slaughtered. I remember my father reciting the recipe of 3/4 lean pork, 1/4 fat as he cut up the chunks before stuffing them into the grinder. Of course, the lean pork had internal fat, so the product was more than 1/4 fat. Boy that stuff was good, though. My family used the pan drippings as what we called "brown gravy." We did the same with bacon and ham. Some of the grease was poured off, by guestimate for the amount needed, then water was added to the pan and the brown bits stirred in. I think some, especially when the drippings are from ham, call this concoction "red eye gravy." We had neighbors who called it "greasy gravy." Dipped onto a fresh, hot, split biscuit, it was sure good. Haven't had it in years.

Dave McNeely
June 04, 2014 03:30PM
Central Market also makes a nice quality chorizo that doesn't devolve into a nasty red liquid mess when you cook it. My biology background just won't knowingly let me eat salivary glands and lymph nodes. I have, however, had some very tasty Hot Links while growing up but cannot say that I've seen any in recent years that tempted me.

In my family, red-eye gravy consisted of the drippings from sausage or bacon with a splash of coffee added to it. It is actually on the menu at Cracker Barrel restaurants but you have to know where to find it on the menu because none of the servers will have ever heard of it. I know, in my heart, that it is like ordering a quadruple bypass special but I order it periodically because it recalls memories of my childhood vacations to Mississippi where every meal had fresh biscuits and red-eye gravy.
June 04, 2014 05:50PM
Oh, I have a Ph.D. in Zoology, and have no trouble eating lymph nodes or salivary glands. Hog bum, that's another matter. In some places, those are cut into rings, battered, deep fat fried, and served as calimari. If you order fried calamari in a Mid-Eastern restaurant, watch out.

Dave McNeely
June 05, 2014 08:43AM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> Oh, I have a Ph.D. in Zoology, and have no trouble
> eating lymph nodes or salivary glands. Hog bum,
> that's another matter. In some places, those are
> cut into rings, battered, deep fat fried, and
> served as calimari. If you order fried calamari
> in a Mid-Eastern restaurant, watch out.

HAHAHAHAHA! I'll warn my kids - they love to order calimari
June 06, 2014 01:15PM
One of the Chinese restaurants here in Plano has a dish called pork bung. You can figure out what its made from!

Dave Lewis
June 06, 2014 04:18PM
This thread should be renamed "How Far Down The Food Chain Will You Descend". :-)
July 12, 2016 08:04PM
In '64-'65 me and my buddy Bill Bedford had DMN paper routes. After the route we would go to the 7-11 at Royal and Preston and buy a red hot link and a Nehi Strawberry Soda. Seemed pretty darn good at the time ~ breakfast of champions. Now I have that dam high cholesterol, and my doctor told me "If it tastes good, spit it out". Doctors are mean. ~ Mike

Native Dallasite, Hillcrest High '65, Texas A&M '71
July 13, 2016 08:14PM
VeniVidiDejaVu Wrote:
> In '64-'65 me and my buddy Bill Bedford had DMN
> paper routes. After the route we would go to the
> 7-11 at Royal and Preston and buy a red hot link
> and a Nehi Strawberry Soda. Seemed pretty darn
> good at the time ~ breakfast of champions. Now I
> have that dam high cholesterol, and my doctor told
> me "If it tastes good, spit it out". Doctors are
> mean. ~ Mike

"RC and a Moon Pie."

Wasn't there a "comedian" (quotes for a reason) who specialized in "red neck humor" in the sixties who claimed that to be the perfect breakfast? "Brother Dave Gardner" was his stage name?

Dave McNeely
July 13, 2016 08:18PM
Bro Dave was hilarious! "White Silver Sands" was his theme song. My first wife's brother loved him.....OK so there is a down side to anything.

Native Dallasite, Hillcrest High '65, Texas A&M '71
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login