Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time Square Cue Club

Posted by Michael 
Time Square Cue Club
February 13, 2007 07:00PM
I remember a place at Main & Carrol in East Dallas called "Time Square Cue Club" that I used to frequent in the early 1970's. It was upstairs in a building with some other businesses.
I wondered if anyone here knew why it was closed or if anyone even remembers the place or if the building is still there?
Thanks!
dave mcneely
Re: Time Square Cue Club
February 13, 2007 07:21PM
Michael, I don't remember the place, but your query brought to mind the myriad of "pool halls" that I frequented in my youth. I never remember one that was clean, or that didn't have an aroma of old tobacco smoke.
Given the location of the one you mentioned, I can imagine that it was similar to those of my memory. They usually had a bare concrete floor, a bar for soft drinks, and in some for beer - yours would have had, I'm sure. There might be a sandwich bar, but usually not. Food could be sent for. Lighting was good on the tables, but usually not elsewhere in teh place.
The pool halls were places that my mother preferred that I not go to.
But sometime about the time I graduated college, I began to see cleaner places, usually in strip shopping centers in clean, bright locations.
Pool became less fun smiling smiley I never could make any money at it anyway, darn it.
It also reminds me of an acquaintance who was good, very good, and could make a good bit of money at it. He usually went to the halls with a companion, a fellow who played football for Tulane, as a tackle. But the two usually didn't go in together. After Duane had racked up a good take from the locals in a hall, and was ready to leave, Walt would show up, and Duane would say, "Pay him." I was present for a couple of these instances. Some of the guys who'd lost a bit would have a wry expression. Duane was a little shrimp, like me.
Dave
I don't recall that particular pool hall but, as Dave indicated in his posting, the best ones were the old and dimly lit places that were out of the mainstream. The subject has just triggered some memories....
In the mid to late-'50s, from about the 9th grade and to graduation from Sunset, several friends and I frequented local pool halls in Oak Cliff. We became pretty good, for teens.
There was a pool hall just North of Jefferson Blvd. in the vicinity of Polk (though I don't think it was on Polk). Entrance was from the East facing door. Older guys were in there during the daytime playing dominoes at a couple of tables. Dim lighting except over the tables and I think it cost us something like 10 cents a game or 50 cents an hour, each. That's the joint where I honed my pool and snooker skills (stop laughing...) and really became pretty good.
I recall when I was about 15 and it was the Christmas break from school and VERY cold. I was having to watch after my 7 y/o sister, as both parents worked, and I got cabin fever. I hotwired the old '48 Plymouth in the driveway, bundled up my little sis...along with a box of crackers and a bottle of water, and drove to that pool hall. I left her in the car for about two hours, while inside drinking cokes and shooting pool. ....She remembers the incident to this day and we usually have a big laugh about it when it's mentioned at family gatherings.
Does anyone recall the name of that particular pool hall just North of Jefferson???
There was also Tekas on Ft. Worth Ave., but I don't recall being there. After the Dallas-FW Turnpike opened, a friend of mine and I would drive to downtown Ft. Worth and shoot pool with folks that weren't familiar with our skills, and we usually made some money and escaped without bodily harm.
I shot pool throughout school, the Navy and later on until probably 1990. The pool tables at Bronco Bowl were good, but we usually shot on the snooker tables to "calibrate" our action before playing others on the pool tables. There was also the Cobra Club in Hurst, across from Bell Helicopter, that did a brisk business on the tables and had numerous "sharks".
Enough! Once again, I've gotten carried away with my blathering!
What was the name of the pool hall just off of Jefferson, mentioned above??
Fred
I think Pool Halls as such were illegal in Dallas until the early 60s. All the bars had those Bumper Pool Tables w/o pockets to circumvent the law. The first place I saw Pool and Snooker played in Dallas was the Bronco Bowl which put it a "private club". As far as the old style "Pool Hall" with the high chairs and wooden beads on a wire to keep score I don't remember one. I'm not saying there weren't any-just that I don't remember any.
dave mcneely
Re: Pool Halls (was)Re: Time Square Cue Club
February 14, 2007 07:19AM
Fred, I remember a pool hall in that approximate location, but on the east side of the street, facing west. It was a favorite of my fellows who worked at the Westmoreland Heights A&P, and we'd go there after work on Saturday night. As I recall, it was fairly small.
There was also a place in Cockrell Hill, in a cavernous old building on the S. side of Jefferson, right near to the old theatre. Whenever I hear the song (darn -- artist? title?) with the words "The beat goes on forever, and the party never ends," I for some reason think of that place. Maybe because the lyrics include a part relating someone breaking a pool cue over someone else's head, and I did witness a person being struck with a pool cue there. It didn't break, and I actually can't imagine that one could be broken that way, but ..........., perhaps swung by the small end through a very large arc ...... .
The joints were usually quiet and peaceful, however. I'm sure that some fights may have resulted from activity in them but were consumated elsewhere.
The best money hall I knew was in Grand Prairie, on Main Street (W. Davis). Joints further west had the reputation of being rough, maybe because of beer.
I was really never any good at snooker!
Dave
Fred,
There was the Lancaster Club. It was North of Jefferson near Adamson H.S. Fellow named Haley tended the tables.Kept the change stacked in his ear. Hard to forget that old man.
There was also a Palace Recreation Club downtown. Same street as the Bus terminal. It was upstairs and frequented by a lot of lawyers and judges.
Good memory, George!! I believe you're correct about the pool hall being named the Lancaster Club! It WAS a unique place and the adults there were tolerant of me and a couple of friends in our teenage years; even occasionally taking the time to show us a few tips on shot making. We never were loud or rowdy in there, as we realized it was a sort of neighborhood "haven" for the regulars, who appeared to us to be retirees.
Fred
Fred,
Is this my old favorite high school haunt - the Lancaster Club?
I'll always remember how they racked each game and you paid by the game and not by time. Also the "racker" that kept change in his ears.
Thanks for the memories
John
That's the place John. George replied earlier with the name for me. .....My friends and I were such regulars there that we were allowed to rack our own games.
Fred
February 17, 2007 10:32AM
Ironic!. The building @ Carrol & Columbia/Main is indeed still there. I office in the attactched building. The old pool hall is now the El Jaguar Night Club, an all night Tejano bar that doubles as a front for prostitution. I office in the warehouse that faces Eastside Ave. directly behind Big Jims Liquor & check cahsing. The owner, Tom, told me about the pool halls former glory and there has been talk of reopening a pool hall in the building. It's in pretty bad stages of disrepair. I occasionally work on the building. There is no gas for the heat/cool units on the roof! You can see the test gauges on the new lines I ran outside at the gas meter tree. Apparently there was never a certificate of occupancy for Gilbertos restaurant or the night club, therefore the gas company wont hook it up. The plumbing is horrible, almost in disrepair. And the electrical on the roof for the building lighting is VERY dangerous, borderline illegal. The place will probably burn down before it ever becomes a pool hall again.
February 20, 2007 05:27PM
Thanks John...
I wondered if the building was still there and it is good that someone still remembers the place, yet alone works right by where it was.
I can remember the place like it was yesterday. Silly me... when I was just 18 I fell for a guy doing the 3 card monte game there and lost $30.00. In 1973, that was a lot of money for an 18 year old restaurant worker when the minimum wage was $1.60 per hour. Well.. live and learn.
October 12, 2020 01:51PM
dave mcneely Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fred, I remember a pool hall in that approximate
> location, but on the east side of the street,
> facing west. It was a favorite of my fellows who
> worked at the Westmoreland Heights A&P, and
> we'd go there after work on Saturday night. As I
> recall, it was fairly small.
> Dave

Dave
I saw this while looking for the exact pool hall you described.
It was a few doors North of Jefferson on the East side of Tyler.
The owner was probably early 30s with dark hair. I don't recall
his name, but his first name was the name of the club. It wasn't
the typical pool hall, nothing at all like the Lancaster Club.
I'm almost positive there were no old men playing dominoes.
In fact, I think we considered it fairly safe, and anyone over
early 20s was regarded with a beady eye. I'm fairly certain
it closed before 1961, because that was when I went off
to California to University.

Frank
October 12, 2020 02:11PM
Frank, Tyler just north of Jefferson sounds exactly right, and you are correct that it was mainly a young folks hangout. But, the place I remember was open at least as late as 1963-4, because I remember going there in my senior year at Kimball and freshmen year at what was then Arlington State College, later UT Arlington.

Someone else said that pool was illegal in Dallas until the 1960s, but I remember pool halls in the 1950s, though I didn't start going in them until I was in junior high in 1958-59.

Dave McNeely
October 12, 2020 09:18PM
dave mcneely Wrote:
>
> There was also a place in Cockrell Hill, in a
> cavernous old building on the S. side of
> Jefferson, right near to the old theatre. Whenever
> I hear the song (darn -- artist? title?) with the
> words "The beat goes on forever, and the
> party never ends," I for some reason think of
> that place. Maybe because the lyrics include a
> part relating someone breaking a pool cue over
> someone else's head, and I did witness a person
> being struck with a pool cue there. It didn't
> break, and I actually can't imagine that one could
> be broken that way, but ..........., perhaps swung
> by the small end through a very large arc ...... .
> The joints were usually quiet and peaceful,
> however. I'm sure that some fights may have
> resulted from activity in them but were consumated
> elsewhere.
> The best money hall I knew was in Grand Prairie,
> on Main Street (W. Davis). Joints further west had
> the reputation of being rough, maybe because of
> beer.
> I was really never any good at snooker!
> Dave

The lyrics I remembered SHOULD have been "The road goes on forever...... "

Dave McNeely
October 13, 2020 05:15AM
old man from dallas Wrote:
> dave mcneely Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >

>
> The lyrics I remembered SHOULD have been "The
> road goes on forever...... " AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS
>
BIG GRIN You're really getting OLD when your decades run run run together:

Live version
[www.youtube.com]

Original recording
[www.youtube.com]

A "PRESENT"
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 06:33AM by Frank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login