Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonel Thomas Spruance: The World & UTA

Posted by adam 
In 1883 a "Colonel" Thomas Spruance established the first newspaper in Arlington, called "The World" which later became the Star-Telegram.
[www.ci.arlington.tx.us]
A Thomas Spruance also played a small role in the early history of what would become the University of Texas at Arlington.
[www.uta.edu]
Can anyone verify whether this Thomas Spruance also was president of Citizen's National Bank and postmaster in Arlington and/or the Thomas Spruance in J. H. BROWN'S HISTORY
SETTLERS OF DALLAS COUNTY 1841-1850?
[freepages.history.rootsweb.com]
All comments welcome.
Respectfully,
Adam
Adam -
They appear to be the same person in the several references I have.
Colonel may be an honorary title - I show Thomas F Spruance served as a private in Company F, 6th Texas Cavalry, CSA, commanded by his brother-in-law, Roderick Rawlings.
Thomas Spruance apparently came to Texas after 1860, as he was then listed in the Greene County Illinois census. The Rawlings also came to Texas from Greene County Illinois in the mid 1840's. There are a number of Bledsoe/Rawlings/Spruance intermarriages.
Thomas Spruance and wife Betty (Bledsoe) Spruance died in 1914 and 1912 are buried in Arlington, TX.
M C
M C, Any idea if Col. Spruance was related to WW2 Admiral Raymond Spruance, pretty uncommon name, may be........Bill Strouse
Re: Colonel Thomas Spruance: The World & UTA
May 08, 2017 09:29AM
I am the great granddaughter of Thomas and Betty [Bledsoe] Spruance, and I was always told that the Colonel was an honorary title, although he did fight in several battles on the Confederate side. (There were/are other Thomas Spruances; Thomas was a common name in the family.)
May 08, 2017 09:38AM
I was always told that everyone by the name of Spruance was at least distantly related because the name of two brothers who came to the US in the 1700s was changed from a French name at that time. My branch of the Spruance family (DFW area) is from one brother's descendants, with our number bearing the name Spruance now very small. The other brother's descendants include the WWII admiral, the artist, the rock musician, the female chef, and almost every other Spruance.
May 08, 2017 09:50AM
I have his confederate reunion medal, which says only "ROSS BRIGADE."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login