Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

70's Disco Club

Posted by Kat 
Ron
Re: 70's Disco Club
November 16, 2006 01:31PM
Biff burgers: now those were worth writing home about.
I remember the club "Di Vinci's". Was never in it, but I remember it. Seems that building housed several businesses over the years.
I worked not far from there on Meadow in the late 70s-early 80s.
We used eat at Biff's often as well the old (original) Chili's. Across Greenville from Chili's was Olympic Pizza and a Red Coleman's. When weather was nice several of us manager-types used to get some pizza, a couple of six-packs of beer and head up to Moss Park for business lunches. We actually did get some work done too. But not a lot.
Ron
November 16, 2006 01:45PM
I recall that the Playboy Club was in the same building as the Cowboys' main office. Am I right?
I also remember that the Playboy Club offered little bang for a lot of bucks. I went to a going away party there once and my bar bill was nearly $200. That may not seem like a lot now but it was a heck of a lot in 1979.
I liked Baby Doe's.
November 16, 2006 02:32PM
In case you would like to stop by and say "Hi" to Biff, he works at "Jaxx Cafe" in Addison as bartender. He's been there for a good 14 years. Just saw him a couple of days ago. It's on Midway (west side) just before you get to Belt Line if you're going North.
YES!!! Chilis on Greenville, was GREAT!!!! The food is not near as good since it went "big time". They had the best fries when they opened on Greenville. We would drive across town just to eat there.
November 16, 2006 03:08PM
Sue,
I believe that the name was "Biffs". Some of my buddies went there a couple of times.
Disco was not my thing. Being a product of NTSU my dance of choice was the "push". It was hard to do a triple spin to "Disco Duck".
Thanks,
Bill
Ron
November 16, 2006 07:59PM
Didn't know Biff was a real person. Does he have a younger brother nicknamed 'Happy' ?
Thanks for the update.
Did you ever sit in Biff's, overlooking the creek, on a rainy day? Memorable. Just memorable.
I liked Chili's soft tacos and the waitress they called 'Miss America' because she looked like Linda Carter.
"BIFF'S"
November 16, 2006 08:30PM
I'll try to remember to ask him the next time I go to "Jaxx Cafe" if he has a brother. I know his wife is a flight attendent (I think American).
He has a Mirror with "Biff's"on it behind the bar at "Jaxx", I think he had it at his place on Greenville.
I only ate there a couple of times.
As for Chili's, the only thing I remember were the fries.
Ron
Re: "BIFF'S"
November 16, 2006 08:47PM
I'm sorry Sue but I was pulling your leg. Biff is the name of a character in a play and he has a younger brother named Harold nicknamed "Happy".
November 17, 2006 05:23AM
Hi Sue,
Biffs name is Biff Winsor. I went to high school,{SOC}, and college, ETSU, with him.
At one time the club at Shady Brook and NW Highway was called "Zabys". Changed hands about evry six months or so. Think Mike Zaby kept it through a couple of name changes.
November 17, 2006 07:21AM
George,
Was there another club in that same shopping center with all of the trees? I understood that Biffs, or another unnamed club in the same vicinity, was owned by a SOC classmate of mine named Duane Thompson.
He owned, among other clubs, the #3 Lift. I believe Sue Bucy said that she worked for Duane.
Thanks,
Bill
November 17, 2006 07:38AM
Don't mean to butt in on your question to George, but the "Red Dog Saloon" was in a wooded area (near the Barcelona Apts.) on W. N/W Hwy. Between Community Dr. and The Circle on the South side of thee street.
November 17, 2006 07:45AM
Sue,
That brings back memories. I moved into the Barcelona apts in Nov.1966. We were in the 2nd phase.
No, the place that I'm refering to is in that same immediate area as Biffs. But a mutual friend says that Duane Thompson owned Biffs(or another club in that same center)because Duane wanted him to tend bar there.
Confusing, but we'll get it sorted out.
Thanks,
Bill
November 17, 2006 07:48AM
Hi George,
How are You? I don't recall that club. But I do remember "Charlie's Bar" Believe there was a #1: #2 and a #3. He served REAL SMALL GLASSES, but a drink would only cost like 80 Cents. That might of been just during "Happy Hour". Onee of them was behind that 7/11 at the corner of W/N/W Hwy and Community, it was VERY SMALL, there was one was accross the street alittle more west snd he had one on Walnut Hill I think or was it Mockingbird(?) no Walnut Hill just east of Denton Road.
November 17, 2006 08:20AM
I lived at the Barcelona Apts. for about 5 years in the 70s from about 75-80. In the summer of 1966 I was between my Jr. year and Sr. year in High School. But when you lived there I believe several of the "Dallas Cowboys" lived there. It's hay-day was over by the time I lived there.
November 17, 2006 08:56AM
Sue,
Three of us lived in a two-bedroom unit that backed up to the clubhouse.
We lived about three doors down from Craig Morton.
I met my 1st wife at the clubhouse. She and some of her classmates from the Amer. Airlines training school were invited to a party there.
We got married four months later and moved to the West Coast.
That was almost 40 years ago. Wow!
Thanks,
Bill
November 17, 2006 10:41AM
Sue is right, it was "The Point". My buds Bob and Jimmy worked there.
From some talk below, where Biff's was, there used to be the Vickery swimming pool. I used to get in trouble for sneakin from the pool down to the creek. I went to 2nd gade just up the hill at Vickery grade school. There were lotsa horny toads around there.
Chili's across the street, fun place back then! Yes. good fries and soft tacos, and margeritas! You cold drink them while waiting in line to get in for a while. TLC stoped that though.
Ickabods was on the S. W. corner building in Old Town. Mariano was the origional occupant of his location in Old Town and one of the very first things open there.
(please forgive any mis spellings)
Joe
November 17, 2006 12:56PM
Joe,
I remember The Place Across the Street in Old Town Shpg Ctr; and another club, close by, that had telephones at each table with a diagram of the numbered tables. I guess if you were so inclined you could call some one across the room.
There was another bar, owned by Craig Morton, that was toward the back of the Marianos building.
It became heavily populated by the "Brothas". They would nurse one drink all night, and caused a few incidents with the regulars.
The manager started playing some real lowdown C&W, and the clientele immediately changed.
I always wondered how he knew that would work.
Thanks,
Bill
November 17, 2006 02:44PM
Bill, I moved from that area in 1983. I do not remember those places. Were they open before then or after.
Joe
November 17, 2006 04:14PM
Sue,
Thanks for asking.
Doing good, just can't figure out how to "age" gracefully. The club i was commenting on was at NW Hwy across from the Village Apts. at Shady Brook. Mike Zaby owned it. Switched it from Zabys to the "Corral" when the the western craze took over. I think Rex Cobble, owner of "Cutter Bills" clothing store was the biggest benefactor of that whole period.
November 17, 2006 04:15PM
Joe,
My life changed for good in Fall 1977. That's when I got remarried. All of the old joints could have been swallowed up by a giant fault as far as I knew.
Bill
clubs in the 70s
November 17, 2006 04:38PM
George,
I know what you mean about the age thing!!!!
That place is one that I don't recall.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login