Advanced

Kids TV show in the 1950's

Posted by Stewart Sebastian 
Re: adultery and killing
February 05, 2007 11:02AM
dave mcneely
February 05, 2007 11:07AM
Wayne, thanks. Boy, that's embarrasing. I should have re-read that post before asking that question.
Dave
February 05, 2007 11:44AM
Article 1220 did NOT give a wife the same protection/defense available for a husband - no equal rights amendment in those days, or Title IX either. And uder the old common law precendents, women were not treated nearly as well (lienently, to be accurate) as men in the "sudden passion" as a general rule.
Now - the alw is gender neutral. But my observations in the courtrooms of East ETxas is a man is more likely to get a slap on the wrist for doing a job on an adulterous wife's paramour than vica versa. For doing an adulterous spouse - taht is a harder call, with exact circumstances out-weighing nay general rule.
I remain with Kipling - "When a wife goes wrong with with a comrade, be loath to shoot when you catch tehm..."
Re: Not Officer Friendly
February 05, 2007 03:48PM
Apparently he was friendly anyway. Thanks to all for all,
B
February 05, 2007 08:11PM
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess my dad had the story right, just the characters wrong. Officer Friendly was just a vague memory for me. I was very young.
dave mcneely
February 05, 2007 08:12PM
Well, shows you where being friendly will get you, at least if your friendly to the wrong person.
Dave
February 06, 2007 11:09AM
mike with all due respect and not to contradict you, but is it possible that officer friendly was not the voice of donald duck but that of jimmy duck?
jimmy duck was a character on uncle tinys show and then on officer friendlys show.
i remember the phrase, "jimmy duck go waddle waddle" because we all went around school saying it!
debby
February 06, 2007 07:12PM
You are correct! I should have clarified that. Dean Allen was the voice of BOTH Donald and Jimmy Duck. The guy apparently worked first for Disney, and when he came to KRLD-TV, he checked first with Walt to make sure he had Walt's blessing to use Donald's original "voice" as the new voice of Jimmy...at least that's what I gleaned from the Dallas News article.
That was sad about Tiny Grant (real name: Ralph Grant Matthiessen, Jr.) I'd never even heard of him before, but there was a mention in one article about "the late Tiny Grant," so I probed further. He died of an unspecified illness (but apparently related to obesity) in November, 1959. "The rotund comic died suddenly in a Dallas hospital last Friday, leaving a widow and five children and only a meager amount of insurance. Ironically, the huge body which won him so many laughs on stage, was rejected by the insurance companies. Behind that jolly facade, there lay a man who was incurably ill for the past year of his life. Yet, right up until the moment he entered the hospital he worked furiously to earn a living for his wife and family," so sayeth the News. "Unknown to many of his fans, Tiny quit a lucrative job as a civil engineer to enter the comedy field. He started as an amateur magician."
The obit photo of Tiny makes him look to be in his 20s or 30s. The SS Death Index has no entry for him, so I'm not sure.
And PLEASE...feel free anytime to correct, challenge, clarify or whatever is necessary to my posts. Accuracy overrides ego. And no apology or explanation required. I try to not come off as a know-it-all, but some of my posts go very deep because I've found info in the old newspaper archives that give all the exact dates and details. If I had to rely on memory alone, I'd be in BIG trouble!! smiling smiley
August 29, 2010 06:24PM

The original Uncle Tiny passed away in 1959 from massive heart attack, was replaced by Officer Friendly

and Jimmy Duck.

Jimmy Duck goes WADDLE WADDLE, then a cartoon would entertain the kids at the studio & the home audience.

I don't know of any criminal activity regarding Officer Friendly, as I moved to Hollywood, California in 1967.

This was a good positive show for kids of the time.
Re: Kids TV show in the 1950's
August 13, 2012 01:22PM
Remember Smilin' Ed McConnell and "Froggy". "Snap your magic twanger, Froggy...Hiya Kids, Hiya Hiya!" Or, a little late was Slambang Theater with Icky Twerp,.
August 13, 2012 01:26PM
I use to listen to Smiling Ed McConnell and Froggy on the radio, before TV, there were several kid radio shows on the radio on Saturdays back when, "Lets Pretend", "Baby Snooks", etc.........Bill Strouse
August 11, 2014 01:15AM
I was actually on the Officer Friendly Show for my 7th birthday . On June 16, 1964 we had my party before we left the house and then my Mama and Granddad loaded up the cars with all the kids and we headed over to KRLD to the show. Now, I don't remember if the show was live or taped . I do remember we had to go on the 16th because the 17th (which is actually my birthday was booked. ) I received a cute little purse as a gift after we arrived, and I held it during the show. I would love to have a DVD of that show . I am now 57 years old and it would be so fun to be able to show it to my family (especially my 33 year old son Dave.) Anyway, it was a most wonderful, memorable day .

Now about Officer Friendly, I do not know whether or not he was with the DPD or just an actor or both .

Great Memories,
Toni Craiker-Degelia
September 03, 2014 04:26PM
I remember both the Officer Friendly morning kid's show and the 15 minute Dallas Police Report program that was shown on Saturday or Sunday afternoons after the local news. Both were on KRLD Ch. 4.

I have another memory of a local kid's show. It was sponsored by Buddy's Supermarkets. They had a contest where you went to a Buddy's store and got a postcard. You drew some lines on the card and mailed it in. The show had an artist at a large easel and drawing paper. He tried to make a finished drawing out of they lines you sent in on the postcard. Or something like that. This may have been on a Ft. Worth station like 5 or 11 since I think that was where Buddy's was based, tho we had one in our Dallas neighborhood. This would have been around 1963.
September 10, 2014 05:11PM
I got to be on "Uncle Tiny" once probably 1959 or 1960. A girl in our neighborhood had a grandfather who was a manager or maybe an owner at the station - don't really remember that detail except this old guy came out and hugged the girl before the show.

I remember it was sponsored by "dial a flavor" (it was a can with 3 partitions that had 3 flavors of stuff you could pour into milk to make something rather remotely milkshake-like chocolate/strawberry/banana I think were the flavors).

I remember being pretty fascinated with the electronics - the control room - cameras. It didn't take me long to figure out the one with the red light was the "live" camera, and I think I made a run at it once just for fun.

It was dissappointing that we had to watch the cartoons on something like a 14 inch black-and-white monitor that was smaller than our TV at home... but still interesting.
May 08, 2015 02:11AM
i remember a DPD officer and a fire dog coming to Mark Twain elem in Oak Cliff in the 60's every year.
January 15, 2016 06:13PM
My Blue Bird troop were guest of Officer Friendly before my troop leader ran off somewhere in 1960 - 1963?
January 18, 2016 12:15PM
Anybody remember Kemo? on a clown show?
Vintage WFAA? please confirm or deny.
TY for your help.
Kemo
August 03, 2018 01:41PM
Don't post very often but Officer Friendly drew my attention. My Brownie troop was on that show. He sure was a nice guy...fond memories.
August 06, 2018 06:18AM
"Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!" ............Always listened to Let's Pretend on Saturday mornings when I was young!
August 06, 2018 06:24AM
Since we're talking about ducks... Does anyone else remember the name of the guy that had a program with Webster Webfoot? .... or even recall Webster Webfoot?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login