Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kids TV show in the 1950's

Posted by Stewart Sebastian 
I know this may be boring to some of you but I thought I would give a try.
Do any of you remember a kids TV show back in the 50's that had a boom microphone dressed up in clothes and was called "Mickey the Microphone"? I can't think of the shows name or host. The host talked to Mickey and the boom operator would make it move around like it was talking back. I keep thing that "Office Frendly" sound familiar but can't place the TV show.
Thanks,
Stewart
Stewart, I think that was Cartoon Corner hosted by Captain Bob. I was in the audience for that show once.
stewart, officer friendly was a real dallas policeman.
he started out going around to schools and being nice to the kids and telling them how to keep safe. like a P.R. thing.
later he got a little kids show on local tv.
we loved to see him come to Foster. we would flock all around officer friendly!
debby
Jerry, I think you're correct, it was Captain Bob. Wow, it's been along time since that show was on.
Thanks,
Stewart
Re: Kids TV show in the 1950's
August 17, 2006 02:48PM
Yes, Officer Friendly hosted a 30 min. kids show on KRLD-TV Channel 4 at the time. The show was called "Party Time". He was also a ventriloquist & his "dummy sidkick" was Jimmy Duck. He showed cartoons on the show & the "magic" words to begin the cartoons were "Jimmy Duckle, Waddle, Waddle"---I can't believe I actually remember that!!
WOW! What great memories you have! As a Boy Scout den chief (big brother over a group of little cub scouts) my Cubs' den, their den mother and I were guests in 1959 or 1960 on that show and i was like a kid in wonderland just seeing all that went into putting on the program. Still I had TOTALLY forgotten "Mickey the Microphone" and "Jimmy Duckle, Waddle, Waddle" -- this is hilarious just being reminded of them!
"As I recall there were at least two Officer Friendly's in the show's history, both super friendly in the role -- the first (probably the original) has been mentioned, and the second was a portly gentlemen with a very kind and gentle manner whose first name i seem to recall being "Gene", who was on the show when I was guest.
I desired to be a cartoon animator and was a rabid fan of the show's special European cartoon imports like "Cowboy Jimmy" and puppet animations from the likes of the Yugoslavian Zagreb studios, and the Russian life-like animated series "The Magic Antelope" and "Beauty and The Beast".
Though African-American I was a proud "Howdy Doody" TV alumnus and watched the Officer Friendly show through the eyes of fascination of all the show's children's audience.
---- Thanks for the memories!
Re: Kids TV show in the 1950's
February 03, 2007 10:13PM
I'm so glad someone remembers Officer Friendly. I would watch that every morning after Mr. Peppermint.
My father worked at City Hall from the 50's to the 90's. He handled the retirement and death benefits for all city employees.He told me an inside story about Officer Friendly, right before he(my father) died.
I don't recall his real name, but it seems Officer Friendly was having an affair with one of the city secretaries. They would have weekly trysts in his van, in the Trinity River bottoms. Her husband found out about it, and caught them in the act one day, and blew both of them away with a shot gun. My dad wasn't one to lie, so I tend to believe it. Does anyone else know of this?
Re: Art Hammett shooting
February 05, 2007 05:14AM
Yes! Now as far as Art Hammett being "Officer Friendly," I don't recall...but he was the Dallas police officer and part-time KRLD traffic reporter who was indeed shot and killed by the husband of his lover on 9/16/1976. Pearl Ayers was the secretary for police chief Don Byrd, and the Ayers and Hammett families had been longtime friends. Apparently she and Hammett had been carrying on secretly for nearly 15 years, and Ayers' husband found out. Pearl and Art were dining, and, um, whatever else, around lunchtime in Art's van, parked in the Trinity River bottoms between IH-30 and the Houston Street viaduct. Mr. Ayers had followed the van, and approached it with a 12-gauge shotgun, killing both his wife and Officer Hammett. Soon thereafter, he called police and admitted to the shootings. On 5/27/77, Theran Ayers, the husband, was convicted on both counts. (I compiled this from the Dallas News archives, so it's assumed to be true.)
February 05, 2007 05:17AM
Yes! Now as far as Art Hammett being "Officer Friendly," I don't recall...but he was the Dallas police officer and part-time KRLD traffic reporter who was indeed shot and killed by the husband of his lover on 9/16/1976. Pearl Ayers was the secretary for police chief Don Byrd, and the Ayers and Hammett families had been longtime friends. Apparently she and Hammett had been carrying on secretly for nearly 15 years, and Ayers' husband found out. Pearl and Art were dining, and, um, whatever else, around lunchtime in Art's van, parked in the Trinity River bottoms between IH-30 and the Houston Street viaduct. Mr. Ayers had followed the van, and approached it with a 12-gauge shotgun, killing both his wife and Officer Hammett. Soon thereafter, he called police and admitted to the shootings. On 5/27/77, Theran Ayers, the husband, was convicted on both counts. (I compiled this from the Dallas News archives, so it's assumed to be true.)
February 05, 2007 06:14AM
Do you recall what his sentence was?
This is a bit different but similar. In 1970 & early 1971 I was stationed at Randolph AFB & we were living just outside San Antonio. A guy a few houses down from us came home early, one afternoon, and found his wife and a neighbor in his bed. He pulled a firearm (don't remember what type) out of the closet & killed them both. As I recall, he was convicted of "something" and sentenced to time already served awaiting trial.
Ernie
February 05, 2007 06:52AM
Actually - in 70 or 71, teh husband should have been able to assert the defense allowed (at that time - eliminated by the 1972, effective 1/1/73 if I recall the dates correctly) of old ARticle 1220, Penal Code. Allowed the killing of wife and paramour if taken in adultery and "before they separated". Note that the WIFE was NOT allowed a similar defense....
dave mcneely
February 05, 2007 06:54AM
Traditionally, I don't know about whether it was written in law (perhaps Clyde might shed light), a killing that was precipitated by adultery and was committed in a passionate response to same was one of those crimes that would not get a conviction in Texas. Interesting concerning these two. I believe that premeditation was another matter. I suppose that was because a cuckolded spouse who killed a rival after having a chance to think about it was considered to have killed with intent and understanding. But then it sounds like Hammett's and his lover's killer had slept since learning of the affair.
Dave
February 05, 2007 07:38AM
The guy followed Hammett and the guy's wife around for 8 days before shooting them. Part of his defense was that he was going to hold Hammett at gunpoint while confronting he and the wife. He told Hammett to raise his hands, but Hammett instead appeared to be reaching for his service revolver behind the seat. That's when the guy shot Hammett, then the wife. At the trial, he remembered shooting Hammett, but blacked out when he shot the wife. He had called his daughter immediately thereafter and told her that he didn't think his wife could bear the embarrassment she had caused the family with the affair, so he shot her.
Apparently the husband had accused the wife over time of having an affair with Hammett, which she continually denied. These days, you'd call up the TV show "Cheaters" and let them do the dirty work!
The articles mentioned a "recent" change in the penal code that allowed for jilted lovers to kill their wives as a crime of passion, or something like that (that's my deduction, not a quote.) The sentence was not specified; it just said it would be '5 years to life.' The sentence may not have been laid down until later, but the Dallas News archives end at 12/31/77 and don't resume until August, 1984.
February 05, 2007 07:46AM
I beleive the arrest records and jail terms are on a public computer at the Records Building. I went there once for some research and you only had to pay if you wanted a printed record.That was several years ago however-may have changed now.
dave mcneely
February 05, 2007 07:57AM
Thanks Clyde. This clarifies my uncertainty. I notice that the time of your post precedes that of mine by a couple of minutes, but it had not appeared on the board when I made mine.
So, it was actually codified. Shows what mattered to the Texas lawmakers who created that law, then. Wow! I guess I do remember now something about that law from a long ago government course, where we were cautioned (with a smile form our professor) that adultery could lead to legal death of both parties.
Dave
Re: Not Officer Friendly
February 05, 2007 07:59AM
All that about Art Hammett, and now I find that he's not even the one who played "Officer Friendly" after all. That was Dean Allen, who was an actor (and the original voice of Donald Duck) and not even an officer. He originated the role on KRLD-TV Channel 4's afternoon kid's program, "Party Time," as a replacement for the "Uncle Tiny" segment when Tiny Grant died in 1959. By Feb 1963, "Party Time" ended and a free-standing "The Officer Friendly Show" replaced it. Not sure when it was canceled, but "Friendly" himself continued to make appearances at kiddie events into the early 1970s.
February 05, 2007 09:41AM
Well, there si the "unwritten law" taht favored an aggreieved husband doing that sort of thing. But most places (including GReat Britain, by the Common LAw) treated a killing of a couple taken in adultery (or for that amtter, an identified paramour)as justified to the extent it reduced the level of offense from murder to manslaughter. In fact - current TEXAS law looks on the matter that way.
Old Article 1220, Penal Code is, as far as I know (and as far as the judges who wrote opinions on whther it was applicable seemed to know, since they so commented) unique to Texas. And (to me) astonishing it was kept in teh 1925 version of the PEnal Code, and remained aprt of our alw until the current version that originated in either the 1971 LEge (effective 1972) or 1973 Lege (effective 1974). I know we still were studying Stumberg and the "old" Penal Code wehn i took Criminal Law while I was at BAylor, but teh new PC was going into effect realsoonnow. Sicne I started in 1971 (fall quarter) and didn't take Criminal Law until a bit later, i guess it was probably teh 1973 LEgistlative session with an effective date of 1974 for the "NEw" PEnal Code, replacing the last previous complete revison (1925 version).
February 05, 2007 09:50AM
I've said some about this in a previous post, but killing an adulterous spouse or paramour used to be sort of complicated in TExas. Under the 1925 version of the PEnal Code, Article 1220 allowed a free shot (justified homicide, just like self-defense) IF the parties "had not separated&quotwinking smiley (taht didn't mean you had to actiully catch them in an act of interocurse and kill before the male "pulled out" - there is a case on the subject).
Otherwise, it was pretty much considered murder, with a possible reduction to manslaughter if "sudden passion brought on bt reasonable cause' was found. TAht got a lot of cuckolded husbands a reduced sentence over the years. In Texas as well as other palces (this is sometimes called "the unwritten law&quotwinking smiley...
Teh current verion of the Penal Code, which would be the one referred to the in newspaer article changed things to do away with Article 1220, and provide taht you could claim sudden passion and get a reduction to manslaughter out of what would otherwise be murder. and that remains the alw, but I think I prefer Kipling's prescription,m in one of his poems. HE advises against shooting if a wife gones wrong with a comrade - "MAke him take her and keep her, that's Hell for them both"...
Re: Not Officer Friendly
February 05, 2007 10:50AM
Hammett was well known via a KRLD TV program which I believe was called "Police Report." He was the PIO at the DPD and host of the program which was a 15 minute segment about the DPD which aired weekly, I seem to recall.
At the time of the shooting the show was off the air, but he remained well known in the community.
dave mcneely
Re: adultery and killing
February 05, 2007 10:55AM
Clyde, one more question: Was a woman whose husband strayed allowed the same defenses in the various scenarios? My recollection is that she was not.
Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login