Re: Deja Vu
July 28, 2006 02:26PM
NO, but it is what happened at the Adamson sit in! I'd forgotten all about it and about Jay Carl until you mentioned it. Mr. Goddard was on the stage leading the alma mater and when Coleman kept drumming he hit him on the head with his baton to get his attention.
Funny that I'd forgotten all about that part of it.
Re: Cobb Stadium
July 28, 2006 02:48PM
Seems like there was some sort of ;litigation over that - something abouta question as to who actually owned the land and who had a right to actaully make the sale. Or am I remembering something that didn't ahppen?
July 28, 2006 03:03PM
Mr. Durrett was our principal at Kimball. Wow! When he was at Kimball I don't think he would have done that. He would have talked about responsibility for hours, until everybody got tired and went to class to get out of earshot.
I came to respect Mr. Durrett greatly when I was a teacher in DISD. I believe he was one of the finest men I've ever known. He had lots of quirks, as we all do. He loved his school and his kids.
Dave
July 28, 2006 03:09PM
Bob Johnston & all,
I stand corrected.
Adam
July 28, 2006 04:20PM
I had great respect for Mr. Durrett also. He was my principal at Winnetka which I attended in 1949-50 and Henderson 1950-52. Then I had him again at Kimball. Mr. Boyett was also at Henderson and Kimball.
July 28, 2006 05:12PM
Here is a link to Mr. Durrett's obituary.
[p072.ezboard.com]
Wayne, I may have asked before. When were you at Kimball? I graduated '63.
Do you know about the Kimball alumnae board? The link above will get you there.
Mr. Boyett was a really good person, too. We had a lot of fine teachers and role models at Kimball.
Though he was in social science, Mr. Cox was a great role model for me as a teacher.
Dave
Ron
Possible classmate?
July 28, 2006 06:05PM
You were Kimball class of '63, right?
Did you know Fritz Flaherty?
Re: Possible classmate?
July 28, 2006 06:58PM
Ron, I don't remember the name. I looked on the Kimball alumnae board. There was no one named Flaherty in either the directory or the '63 annual senior photos. I found a Raymond Flaherty who was a senior in '64, but I didn't recognize the photo.
Dave
Ron
Re: Possible classmate?
July 28, 2006 07:07PM
Fritz's first name is Raymond. His younger brother and I were friends. The younger brother died last year and I was wondering how Fritz was doing. Thanks.
July 28, 2006 07:37PM
I graduated from Kimball in 1961. Had always wanted to go Sunset since both my parents had graduated from there. One in 1929 and the other in 1934?. Kimball was great though. Many good memories and some fantastic teachers and staff.
July 29, 2006 03:23AM
Hey Adam:
The Adamson sit-in was about that same time! I graduated in 1958 so I suspect they happened the same year! And Bob, you are correct about it being over Caledonia, the old Cab Calloway hit from the 30's. The words had been altered by certain students (whom I shall not name) to a less than PC response from the audience! 'Nuff said!
Steve
Re: W.P. Durrett (Dave McNeely)
July 29, 2006 04:23AM
Dave Mc,
You wrote: "I don't think (Mr. Durrett) would have done that. He would have talked about responsibility for hours, until everybody got tired and went to class to get out of earshot."
If you have time, could you expand on this thought. I'm working on a writing project; and I'm having trouble explaining how the teachers, and in this case, the principal, taught us about responsibility. Your statement really hit home. Now that I think about it, I can remember Mr. Durrett gave a little homily or talk almost every day when I was at Boude Storey. The only one I can remember was something like "you get out of life what you put into it."
Kids made fun of him at the time, of course, he was always saying he had taken fingerprints off of the rocks thrown through the windows, etc., but I guess some of it sunk in. Any thing you remember would be appreciated.
I'm not sure I learned much from P.E. teacher, Lavon Boyett, except possibly that there's a choice to be made when sliding down from the ceiling on a rope, either holding on and risk burning you hands or letting go and hitting the floor. I guess that's an important lesson for life, now that I think about it. Oh, also how bad a boy's locker room can smell. Another important life lesson, I've learned.
Adam
July 29, 2006 04:27AM
Hey Steve,
I know the altered words; and I knew the girls who altered them, but I didn't know the girls as well as you did.
Adam
Adam, thanks. It's important that my reference was to what Mr. Durrett would have done at Kimball. The students were different, high school, and at first jr. high also, but not all jr. high. He may have behaved differently with only jr. high students or at an earlier time in his career.
But your recollection of his being very ready to offer an impression to students of having a great ability to ferret out who did what is consistent with what I recall.
My reference to his speaking at length of responsibility simply recalls that he did so regularly. Mr. Durrett was seen as larger than life by the students at Kimball, and yes, he was, like most administrators and teachers dealing with adolescents, the butt of many jokes. But he was a good person who sincerely believed in "his" kids and "his" school. I have known administrators who would have had a mess in trying to handle the mix of jr. high and high school kids at Kimball in the beginning, and the mix of working class and upper middle income kids at Kimball. I recall no conflicts from that particular mix, which is amazing, given kids predilictions to find ways to fall into cliques. At Kimball we had the working class kids from the area north of Kiest Park and over toward Cockrell Hill (I was one of them), the working class kids from the Wheatland Road area, more "country" than most at Kimball (these kids rode the school buses, driven by teachers, not drivers hired for the purpose only), and the kids from teh more affluent neighborhoods in the vicinity of the school. It could actually have been volatile. It never was.
I well remember the boycott of the lunch room in my senior year. For several days the lunch room sold almost no food, only teachers and a nerd or two (a word we didn't know at the time) buying. Mr. Durrett spoke on the intercom daily of the importance of the lunch room to the school, and of how much money the school system spent to provide a good, nutritious lunch to the kids daily.
Of course, we laughed about what he said. One day, in the lunch room, Mr. Durrett went to a table of senior boys, leaders of the student body and of the boycott. He spoke a few minutes about their responsibility (in a generic sense, not for the boycott) and the importance of continuing to be leaders, seen that way by both the student body and the faculty.
The boys bought lunches and the boycott was over.
Though we enjoyed the activities, and athletics, band, and so on were very important to us, he also got some criticism for his extreme focus on such things. In fact, classes a year or two after mine took great pride in having student body leaders who were mainly academically focused rather than activity focused, and considered themselves somewhat rebellious in choosing them.
When I was a DISD teacher, I came to understand Mr. Durrett's reasons for that. I attended some workshops he taught. He related that droppping out of school was a real choice or simply something that happened by default for a lot of kids then. The focus on activities that he literally was rabid about was a means of keeping those kids whose interests weren't really met by the academic program attending school.
And everything about the school was important to him. I remember some other schools in Dallas where kids seemed to think band was a kind of silly thing. Not at Kimball. We were proud of our band, and when the marching band won the "Stars Over Dallas" contest at the Memorial Auditorium, Mr. Durrett had the routine presented for the entire student body the next day.
Mr. Durrett was one of the finest men I have ever known.
Dave
July 29, 2006 06:26AM
Found you in the annual (on-line at the Kimball alumnae board). You were Robert, there. We were in band together. I was the goofy, little red-haired kid who played clarinet badly.
Dave
Adam, if your Gerald Turner is the one that ended up being the baseball coach at TJ for a time, I see him every once in a while up here in Oklahoma as he is a baseball scout.
July 29, 2006 08:08AM
Adam my friend:
Those girls and I remained close friends for a number of years after graduation but lost contact when I went away to school. I would love to know where they are now. Those were fun times!
Nostalgically,
Steve
You are right - Mr. Durrett was a great guy. My oldest son went to Kimball and was in the band. I had somewhat of a close association with Kimball and Mr. Durrett because I taught the Red Cross Lifeguard and Water Safety Instuctor courses at Sprague Pool for many years. Bill Durrett was a unique and capable educator. He was the object of a lot of jokes - but we usually only tease those we really care about. I think someone in this thread mentioned LaVon Boyette - I knew him well and he attained some modicum of fame throughout the swim community for his teaching methods.
Re: W.P. Durrett (Dave McNeely)
July 29, 2006 10:35AM
Dave Mc,
Thanks. Your words were just perfect.
Best,
Adam
Steve,
That's great.
Thanks,
Adam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login