Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Margie "Maggie" Hamilton

Posted by Jim Palmer 
Margie "Maggie" Hamilton
July 09, 2006 12:55PM
Can anyone give me any information on the sister of Raymond and Floyd Hamilton, Maggie Hamilton Fairris, Zeglan, Justice, Robinson and possibly some other names. She was involved in the 1933 west Dallas shootout in which a Tarrant County sheriffs deputy was killed (probably by Clyde Barrow). In 1946 she was working in the rodeo along with her second husband and shot him dead in a hotel room in the stockyards of Fort Worth. From there the red-head apparently migrated down to the Houston-Galveston area. I believe she operated a bar in Galveston County. She shot a couple more people, including another ex-husband, according to the Dallas News archives. Does anyone know when and where she died. I have not been able to determine that. She apparently was every bit the outlaw as her two more famous brothers. I believe she was born about 1916.
Sounds like a very colorful personality, Jim. What avenues have you pursued so far? Did she compete and in what events? Sounds like some of her men competed as well. Hope you'll keep us updated. Leslie
Re: Margie "Maggie" Hamilton
May 04, 2007 09:38PM
I am Floyd and Raymond Hamilton's niece. If you want info. regarding Maggie, please contact me.
However, I will tell you that your perception of the Hamilton's is incorrect.
November 27, 2009 12:23PM
Thank you so much for replying to my posting. I did not discover it until now. My perceptions of the Hamiltons are probably inaccurate, and this is why I have tried to locate people more knowledgeable than I. I worked many years for a newspaper, and, believe me, I know how much crap manages to get into print, and once printed continues to circulate and generally isn't examined too closely. This is how history is recorded. Several years ago I did a story about a rehabilitated ex-convict female who was from Houston but was last paroled to North Texas. We met and talked for several hours and it was fascinating. I wrote the story basically describing how no matter how bad a person once was they could change, if the desire existed on their part. One of the things we discussed was other people she had known and she mentioned "Maggie Justice." The stories of Bonnie and Clyde and Raymond and Floyd Hamilton have been written to death. And much of it is crap. The story of Maggie (Margie) has not really been told except in a few old, yellowed newspaper clippings. Nor has the story of West Dallas in the 1920s and 1930s really been told. So that is what motivated me to post the notice. I have managed to find out a few things about Maggie. I know there is much more. Starting with her childhood, marriages, travels, occupations, family and death (especially the circumstances of her death) feel free to let me know. I will try to ask the right questions. Since i know so little you might feel like a participant in a biography.
November 28, 2009 03:26PM
Cheryl,
Your posting took courage, and it is appreciated. I found the story quite fascinating and have studied it as a result of this post, and have no intention of putting anybody down, but reading the 1935 Dallas Morning News Archives are quite disturbing on the subject of Raymond. The media has always twisted stories to rivet readers, but can all of this be a hoax? A response in the form of a "perception" correction would be nice, but it is not required.

The story of Maggie is also fascinating, might we be able to find out when she passed with what last name?

Parents:
J H Hamilton and Alice Bullock

Children
Floyd Hamilton 1911-1986; Wife Mildred, daughter Bettie; 1930 lived at Eagle Ford and Dallas Pike.
Raymond Hamilton 1914-1935 Worst of the Bunch, executed at Huntsville in the Chair.
Margie "Maggie" Hamilton <Fairris/Robinson/Zeglen/Justice/Lewis> 1916-?
Killed ex Husband Andy Robinson Oct 4, 1946 "in a north side Ft Worth Hotel." Andy was interred at Old Dublin Cemetery, Comanche County with his parents. "Multiple gunshots to the abdomen." She was charged with the crime, but no further information was found. Perhaps she was defending herself?
Micheal Zeglen, husband, was murdered by Maggie in Houston on 26 June 1952; charged with murder without malice, 5 year prison term. Zeglen's occupation was merchant Seaman, lived at 7930 Richards / Houston where the shooting occurred.
Some sources say that she passed on March 4 1966 and is buried in Bogalousa LA.
Lillian Hamilton McBride (1911/2001 est) Charges dismissed in the case below with Mrs. Steve Davis.
Audrey Hamilton Carson (Joe Lewis Carson)

Jan 6, 1933: Ft Worth Deputy Sherriff Malcolm Davis was killed at Raymond's sister's (Lillian McBride) house by W. D. Jones alias Jack Sherman, former Barrow Gang member.
Apr 6, 1935: Mrs. Steve Davis (stated "mother" of Raymond) completed a 30 day sentence after being convicted with 19 others in conspiring to harbor the late Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker.
May 12, 1935: J H Hamilton, Ray's father, attends funeral at Elmwood Memorial Park off Scyene Road. He had traveled from his home in Vivian, LA. J H passed away in Vivian in December of that year and is interred next to Ray at Elmwood.

There are countless other stories.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 10:10AM by Joel Parks.
July 06, 2010 05:55AM
My name is Rebecca King and I am a Law Student at Oklahoma City University. I am doing a research paper the covers Oklahoma Legal History Capital Punishment from 1954-1964. One of the individuals executed during that time was Hurbie Fairris. Who was the son of Margie Hamilton and Hurbie Farris Sr. I would love to find some more history about this family and any assistance you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
MWT
July 06, 2010 08:36AM
Check out the fascinating book,"Decker" by Jim Gatewood.Has a lot of interesting early Dallas history.

Sheriff Decker says he was a friend of the Hamilton family...

DECKERS LAW

Speak softly and carry a Thompson Sub-machinegun.

The Golden Rule is mightier then the blackjack or rubber hose.

Never lie when interrogating a prisoner or he will answer your lie with lies of his own.

We are all God's children.Some of us slip and do terrible things.All of God's children are entitled to a fair trial.

Mike
July 06, 2010 08:55AM
Regarding Herbie Franklin Fairris Sr:

A Time Magazine article.

From the Dallas Morning News; Nov 12, '62; Interment at Forest Lawn Cemetery, Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas.
The son of Robert Franklin Fairris and Alice Laura Chambers, born in Dallas in 1914. Stated occupation at time of passing was Truck Driver.

Herbie's brother Bethel was shot and killed in West, Texas in 1931 at age 19.
Herbie's brother Iwana Clyde was sentenced to 50 years for robbing a couple of $57 in 1949 in Dallas.
Herbie's son Bethel was released from prison in 1960 and then arrested for torturing three people.

These are just a few notes; there are boatloads of articles about this family.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 11:37AM by Joel Parks.
December 01, 2010 09:24PM
Are you going to prepare research paper about Maggie Hamilton?
here is one image:

buy a research paper
December 02, 2010 04:23AM
Uh, that's Margaret Hamilton, the actress who played the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz. She also played Morticia Addams' mother in The Addams Family (nice tie-in to Ted Cassidy, huh?). We're talking about a woman who was associated with the Barrow gang.
October 02, 2012 05:49PM
I knew Bethel Raymond Fairris very well, he went by his middle name, Raymond. In the 70s when I was 15 or 16, him and his wife Bobbie Jean took me into their home, and gave me what I needed to finish high school, so he was more of a "family member" to me, than a friend. My close relationship with him continued, until his death around 10 years ago. His daughter now lives in Michigan, with her husband and two children
October 02, 2012 06:04PM
I knew Bethel Raymond Fairris very well. If you want to know more you can contact me at - dryshaver@yahoo.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login