Re: 1970's Rock Venues in Dallas
October 25, 2012 11:59PM
what was your brother in-laws name, I remember one bartender there, his name was clark
October 26, 2012 02:28PM
My b-i-l is Glynn Tipton.
December 07, 2012 06:14PM
I remember the Cellar too across the street from KLIF.
December 21, 2012 07:49PM
Late seventies there was a place called Madcap mollies Marsh Ln at Northwest. They had a house band called Lightning. They had three for one drink specials for a few weeks before they closed. Memorable times.
awh
December 31, 2012 10:15AM
To check out a bunch of bands from the Dallas area in the 60's and 70's (including Lightning) go here.

Big D 60's (Yahoo Group)

Lots of great memories and photos here!

(you need a Yahoo account to sign up)

There's also this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigd60s/sets/

÷÷-----{++}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 10:17AM by awh.
January 07, 2013 06:21PM
More Sixties than Seventies but nobody has mentioned the Red Door or was it The Door? Mother Blues...mmm. was J. Alfred's (now Al Biernat's... how did I end up back in that building forty years later?) In the Seventies? You could fall cockeyed out the door into HPark.p
June 11, 2013 12:29AM
Yeah getting perfect wedding venue is the great magical moments in wedding plannings or arrangements. Many of couples say that when they found their dream la wedding venues which are best in all.
MWT
June 11, 2013 08:57PM
The Bamboo Room off of Oak Lawn. Adobe Flats on Lemmon. The Flair at the Armory near Redbird airport. Saw Lightning Hopkins at Mother Blues one New Years night. The Tower Theater.57 Doors on Maple. Poor Davids on Greenville(Boogie Boulevard)
August 05, 2013 02:02PM
Speaking of Mother Blues, supposedly in 1974 (maybe 1975) a then unknown, by the name of Bruce Springsteen played there, and absolutely
"tore the house down", if you know what I mean. Personally, I was not there on that night. But it was great venue for bands.
August 16, 2013 03:44PM
It seems like that area of Lemmon was once a much more lively place. What caused it all to decline to the what it is now -- bland strip shops, parking lots, car dealers?
August 20, 2013 11:41AM
george peterman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pam,
> Did you ever get to The Losers Club on
> Mockingbird. Tony Katterine used to bring in big
> name entertainment in the late 60s and early
> 70s.Also Mike Ditkas place off Inwood. The Sports
> Page i believe it was called.

Always had a great time at the LOSERS CLUB. Saw many great acts there, the Coasters, Chubby Checker, Sam & Dave.... One night we were there and sat next to Tab Hunter and Carol Lynley. Although they came in "together" they were not "together", as it seems Tab went the other direction.....! I always felt that Tony had a connection with Joe Capisi in order to get those acts to come to the Losers.

Then one year we had our softball team get sponsored by AFTER THE GOLD RUSH. As a result, we always got in free there and half price on drinks. Then there was the Beggars Club and ADAIR'S!
August 21, 2013 12:52PM
I played a lot of those clubs back then, Pecos Star for a while, Galactic Cowboy Band later on.
Did folk stuff at the Rubaiyat & the early set at the Cellar with Mickey Raphael.
August 22, 2013 11:18AM
Did not realize that 1985 ( the Fast & Cool Club opened) was part of the seventies..........LOLsmileys with beersmiling smiley
awh
August 22, 2013 12:26PM
Pecos Star! It's a small world.

I was a Rice Paddy Raider!

÷÷-----{++}
October 31, 2013 06:59AM
John Davis and I were playing a duo gig when we ran in to Brad & Danny Porter at the Annex one night, we put Pecos Star together after that. I wasn't in the final version, but went on to form The Galactic Cowboy Band. I'm a member of your TT Taylor FB group, John Davis brought me in on that deal IIRC. Mike Ames
awh
November 05, 2013 10:56AM
Cool Red - I see you over there. I'm a founding Rice Paddy Raider myself!

It's a small world!

÷÷-----{++}
May 19, 2014 03:35PM
Faces was on greenville I think.Maybe at yale or a block south.saw Zorro and the Blue football ther from fayetteville AR.Would like to find Ceska [waitres there]old friend.
November 17, 2014 01:04AM
I remember performing at the Grand Central Starport and the Attic Window Coffee House with my friends Gill & Mary Ann but I think they were more folkie type venues. We had a great sound but I was just a kid at the time and blew it off. Those were wild and crazy and somewhat unsettling and scary times.
December 02, 2014 10:39AM
Who remembers the little strip center across the parking lot from the Bijou that had The Caboose, Sneaky Pete's, Club Medallion, and the Abbey Inn?
December 02, 2014 06:20PM
The Caboose was one of my favorite places. There was a bartender named Marilyn and she had a sign that said something like this ain't Burger King and you can't have it your way. I went to Gertie's too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login